Wish me luck

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by Fenix, Oct 26, 2009.

Wish me luck

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by Fenix, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

My copy of Win7 arrived today. I'm about to install it. I will be doing a clean install for 2 reasons. (A) Because clean installs are always better and (B) because I'm currently on Vista 32-bit, and will be installing the 64-bit version of Windows 7.

See you on the other side gentlemen.

2. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

That was fast.

I started about 2 minutes after I posted that, and BAM, here I am (in IE 8 nonetheless....Don't worry, Ninite is doing its magic as I speak.)

First impressions. I absolutely LOVE how it immediately detected my native resolution instead of me having to manually install drivers from both Dell and Nvidia's websites. Oh, yeah. Drivers. Everything works. Right now. Mouse. Keyboard (may I add even the media controls and macro buttons? Oh yeah). Wireless adaptor. Even my sound card high-def outputs.

I did lose a little bit of screen space, seeing as how I ditched the taskbar in Vista. I like the Superbar, but the question is, do I like it enough? Time will tell.

So far, 9/10. It hung a little during installation, but honestly, it was a quick and easy install. I pointed it to the partition, click OK, and went and read a book.

Questions? Comments? Concerned about making the leap from Vista (why not ditch that Titanic @_@ ) or XP (more understandable)?

3. AcE_01

AcE_01 Active Member

Australia
    have fun fenix.

4. Maelstrom

Maelstrom New Member

Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Well, I've been using windows 7 RC for several months.. and I can assure you its the next XP in terms of compactibility/stability/cosmetics/etc.

5. aem1

aem1 New Member

Cali
    dont know much about computers, but im guessing i would have to back up all my programs and drivers?

6. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Not necessarily. Only if you're upgrading from XP or switching from 32-bit to 64-bit (like I did). Programs definitely, drivers, maybe. As I said, I did a fresh install, but all my items worked perfectly from the get go, and Microsoft Update actually picked up all the newest drivers automatically.

7. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    So absolutely no additional pylons required? Could it be that flawless right away? Not even XP managed to do that. Sounds promising.

By the way: how's the RAM usage? Is it really less demanding then even XP?

8. cautionmike_190

cautionmike_190 New Member

Philippines
    wondows 7 is a good OS, i hate vista very much..

9. Maelstrom

Maelstrom New Member

Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Well, I wouldn't say exactly as XP, but definitely ALOT less than Vista, and It looks/works just as good.

10. Lobsterlegs

Lobsterlegs Guest

Wondows?

Ahem, anyways it's freaking ironic how the thread after this blames win7 for messing up sc.. ;p

11. Higgs Boson

Higgs Boson New Member

I am sticking to my beloved xp on desktop but I cant wait to upgrade my laptop from vista to seven.

12. aem1

aem1 New Member

Cali
    just to clarify since i have vista, that my files will be ook upon upragding? just back up my programs and drivers?