Windows XP STOP: 0x0000007E Error

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by Kaaraa, Dec 9, 2009.

Windows XP STOP: 0x0000007E Error

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by Kaaraa, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Kaaraa

Kaaraa Space Junkie

United States
    Last night my laptop suddenly gave me a blue screen stating that windows had been shut down to prevent damage to my computer, with the following technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0x0000005, 0x80536923, 0xF79CE680, 0xF79CE37C)

I've tried restarting it (quite a few times), and I know disk space isn't an issue because my hard drive has at least 40gb of space on it.

I've also tried restarting in Safe Mode (both normal and command prompt), but it won't boot past mup.sys, so I'm pretty much stumped.

2. SOGEKING

SOGEKING New Member

Have you tried to overclock your computer ? Maybe it is because your Processor or your shipset is hot, so the OS automatically shut your computer down. You need maybe a more powerful fan, or just go to the bios "press DEL" when starting the computer, and see the details.

3. Kaaraa

Kaaraa Space Junkie

United States
    I've never overclocked a computer before; I was just websurfing and the like when the OS shut down.

I don't have any compressed air on hand, so I unscrewed the laptop so I could crack it open and (very) delicately clean it with Q-tips. The problem persists. I'll probably just end up calling Dell's tech support to see what can be done.

4. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    I'm not computer literate, so what exactly does overclocking mean?

If it means having your computer/laptop on for too long, I do that all the time. Still have no major issues in 3 years of use.

5. Kaaraa

Kaaraa Space Junkie

United States
    Overclocking is when you adjust one of the parts in your computer to run faster that the original product specification; it's usually done to the processor by people who want better performance from their computer. I wasn't even aware that was a viable option for laptops (since they don't vent heat as well as towers). As I said, I've never overclocked any part of any computer before; I only need my laptop for word documents, email, and internet access.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  6. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
  7. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    I always just run chkdsk from the recovery console if something goes wrong. Simple, and it has never failed to work yet. Even with those nasty "Unmountable Boot Drive" error messages. Those suck so badly.

8. Ste

Ste New Member

Chicago
    Youll have to use the recovery disk or partition.

9. SOGEKING

SOGEKING New Member

anyway when an overclocking fails the OS automatically bring the normal features back, after a crash of the computer. This works with XP, Vista and 7.