Windows Vista problems?

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by fordinski, Aug 15, 2008.

Windows Vista problems?

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by fordinski, Aug 15, 2008.

1. fordinski

fordinski New Member

i plan on building my own computer once they announce the beta for SC2 and ill be buying windows vista for it for the DX10. the problem i have is choosing between basic and premium (both have SP1) . id only buy premium if they fixed more bugs with it, but ill buy basic if they both run the same and only different with features and other useless crap. anyone wanna enlighten me please?

and by the way, does anyone know if SC2 will indeed have DX10 specific GFX?

2. Shadow[E]

Shadow[E] Moderator

Mass
    At this point i believe, there are no hardware specifics YET. Atleast i havent found any, and like all games now, they will be compatible with DX10 and Vista. Which pack you should buy, All up to you, i bootlegged all of them so im all set =]

3. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    It's not going to require DX10 unless it's released after 2010. So I would expect it to require DX9.

4. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Premium actually works. With 1g+ of RAM

5. EatMeReturns

EatMeReturns Happy Mapper Moderator

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    All Vista packs work. 90% of problems are either A) User laziness or B) User error.

If you are having RAM problems (can't right-click anymore), designate some of your hard drive to RAM. Here is how:

Control Panel -> System -> Near bottom, Change Settings -> If popup appears, Continue -> Advanced (at top) -> Settings (Performance, should be top box) -> Advanced (at top) -> Change -> Highlight your hard drive, then select Custom Size below. For the initial size I use 2875 and for the maximum size I use 77299 which is almost half of the free space left on my hard drive (i had ~177000) -> Set (NOT OK YET!) -> Ok

I decided to be excessive and put almost half of my remaining hard drive as RAM space. Now I can run an estimated 20 programs, 5 of which are Internet Explorer with 10 pages up each and still be able to bring up the right-click menu!

...I may or may not make a visual tutorial for this.

......I use Premium. I am fairly certain Basic would run sc2 just as well as Premium.

6. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    I would make a tutorial. That would be great. :D

Also, I can vouch for some people. Vista does have EXTREME compatibility issues, especially with network related software.

(It also has some kind of graphics problem with StarCraft and WCIII... weird.)

7. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Basic is just that. Basic. Premium has more features.

If you plan on getting Vista make sure you get the right hardware. Vista won't run well on older hardware since most older hardware lacks the right drivers and i it does the company didn't spend much time on them because they are focusing on current products.

The OS is actually very solidly built and the OS (emphasis on the operating system itself) is much more stable than XP assuming you have drivers (lack of drivers is a major problem which is out of MS hands). The problems of Vista stem from the fact it uses a new Kernel that does not have as direct access to the hardware as XP. Because of this programs written for previous versions of Windows that expect to use this hardware have compatibility problems.

In effect its the programs with the problem.
    That means you should try to use newer stuff; regardless it seems to be a case by case basis. My computer runs SC and WC3 just fine but craps out on Diablo 2. Games made in the last 4-5 years work perfectly and I have played older games flawlessly. Others report problems with games.

8. Shadow[E]

Shadow[E] Moderator

Mass
    Or, if you wanna be super cheap on RAM, do what i do, just make 4GB of Virtual Memory, (Not recommended). SO in total, i have like 8 GB's =]

9. joester3

joester3 New Member

Theres an easy fix for that. You just go(on the icon for Starcraft) right click, properties, compatability, then switch it to xp sp2, or something like that. It should usually fix it.

10. DotGet

DotGet New Member

I've actually seen first-hand the atrocity that is running Vista on 1gb of RAM. It is not pretty.

2gigs at least. 4 recommended.

11. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Please dude. I'm running Vista SP1... I've tried every trick in the book and there's still crazy graphics going... it doesn't fix it.

12. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Did it work before SP1?