Windows or Mac

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by Aurora, Dec 22, 2007.

?

So, Windows or Mac? (Or something else?)

1. Windows

60.0%
  2. Mac

20.0%
  3. Something else.

20.0%

Windows or Mac

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by Aurora, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    This might be the biggest and longest computer discussion ever. It has been going on for ages now, and we all might say Windows has won with the general public, but has it really won altogether?

Which one is better? Mac or Windows?
    Let's have a look at their websites, ups, & downs and see if we can get the discussion going on these forums to.

Mac:

Ups:
    - It's user friendly and has fewer bugs than windows.
    Downs:
    - Almost no gaming support.
    - Expensive.

Windows:

Ups:
    - Almost all games can be played.
    - Lots of available and affordable software.
    Downs:
    - A number of bugs and errors.
    - Insufficeint backwards compatibility.

Personally, I would go for the Mac operating system, if I wouldn't be playing games all the time. It's just a wwmuch better operating system, why won't more people see that?

What do you guys think?
    :gossip::gossip:

2. MarineCorp

MarineCorp New Member

England, United Kingdom
    I would go for Windows, for a cheaper person like me i'm also a game freak and would certainly go for Windows, if i have a laptop i would stay away from Vista so lets hope that vista will be sorted out.

the reason i didn't go for Mac was simply because that there are games are not in Mac for instance Crysis, i was really hoping this would come out for Mac however disappointingly it didn't :( and if i was a millionaire or a rich person i would buy this.

3. Hunter

Hunter New Member

Hungary,Székesfehérvár
    I stay at windows, while Mac only runs on certain computers.. Actually both of the operating systems are expensive.
    Ehh about bugs, windows is worse, but I use XP sp2 so I don't face as much problems as Vista users do. Sp 3 is coming out next year, I hope they will fix other errors too. (or make other ones.....)

4. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Yeah, but SP3 might be scrapped, since they want to cut the support for Windows XP altogether in something like March... But Mac has a really good costumer support service.. A friend of mine uses a Mac for his work and school every day. (designer of all sorts of stuff and video editing) When his Apple crashed, they had it up and running for him at the end of the day again.

When I had one of those blue screen fatal error style things going on a couple of weeks ago, the help desk people kept saying that my "electricity cables weren't properly connected".@#$@% those people...

But you guys are true about the games being a good reason. But what if you had the possibility to play those games on Mac? What would you choose then?

5. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    Talk about a biased openeing post. I cant comment so much on vista but as for XP I have not seen very many errors at all. So saying there is many, many errors is a lie. Secondly I am not exactly sure sure what your refering to with the backwards compatibility, but assuming your refering to ancient software, I have never had a problem playing old software with XP.

As for mac here is what I will say for it, it is simpler (but that doesn't mean better), having only 1 button a mouse was a brilliant idea right? (Even I am sure there is some work arounds) Also saying macs are almost bug free is a lie, its close but I wouldn't use the word almost just yet.

Finally since you are the one that brought up websites the windows one tooks beter, so I am not sure what point you were trying to prove with that.

Using your own formatting here is how I would set it up.

Mac:
    operating system page

Ups:
    - It's user friendly and has fewer bugs than windows.
    Downs:
    - Almost no gaming support.
    - Expensive.

Windows:
    operating system page

Ups:
    - Almost all games can be played.
    - Lots of available and affordable software.
    Downs:
    - A number of bugs and errors.
    - Insufficeint backwards compatibility.

I removed the looks part of the mac because looks are always in the eye of the beholder and not something that can really be quantified.

6. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Yes mister LordKerwyn global mod sir... ;)
    But I guess you are right, I edited my first post already. You can delete your stuff if you want, so people don't get confused.

But I just hate the fact, that with every minor change I make to my system, there always seems to be some problem with it. Okay, I admit a sometimes make some pretty extreme changes to the registry and all that, but I would call myself quite skilled at those things. I never had problems with a Mac operated system when changing big things.

And about the looks, that's the main reason Apple still exists today. It was the reason they got any sponsors to finance their project when they first started of. I don't think it should be let out of the discussion. And with the looks, I'm also referring to the look of the interface the operating system has, not only to the outer case of the computer itself.

7. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    Wow I didnt mean it like that. Me being a global mod or even in the Hyperion has nothing to do with my post. I just found your list somewhat biased expecially when aded shortly there after with your opinion. You can make your posts however you want Ill just call you out on something I dissagree with just like I have always done on this forum.

As for your second point I have tried to make major changes to my registery or make major changes on a macs operating system because I have never found a need. So I really cant comment on your situation.

On the whole seperate topic of Vista I would say give it the benefit of the doupt, just like you would Lepoard, to be honest while I havn't worked with either that much Lepoard has given me more grief than Vista.

EDIT: As to your looks comment I wont argue whether or not looks are helpful to macs because they are, but I would say it shouldnt be wheighted as much because looks are completely determined by the opinion of the viewer.

8. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Ah, you meant it like that. Oh well, I will just leave it this way, it's more of a neutral view on the whole subject. But I haven't worked a lot with Vista yet, because I don't want to buy myself a whole new set of printers etc.

That's one of the things I meant with Windows having a bad reputation when it comes to support old stuff. Having to make new drivers and stuff like that for their hardware every time Microsoft decides to update something must really piss off hardware producers And it annoys me to, because I have to download those drivers all the time.

I don't really know if this is a big problem with Mac operated systems, because I have little experience with printers and such that can be used with a Mac. Do you know how that works with a Mac? It would be a really big plus on the Mac side if it was less complicated there.

9. -LT-

-LT- New Member

Where's the poll?

10. L89

L89 New Member

I really want a Mac laptop. It won't be for gaming...eh...it's for the other stuff ;)

Like school work lol.

So I don't mind about the gaming requirement. Plus, the layout of Macs and their aesthetics are so awesone. I reckon windows (again) tried to copy Mac (with vista) but so far have failed miserably.

The only thing that prevents me from GETTING an actual Mac is the ridculously high pricing.

11. -LT-

-LT- New Member

Now it's better. Windows all the way!

12. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    It seems to be getting all of the votes until now, but Mac just rules the sh*t out of windows of you look at everything except for games...

13. longlivefenix

longlivefenix New Member

but then again thats every thing but games
    and this is basically a gaming community

14. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    You got m with that one.

*runs away from the discussion to write an angry letter to Mac for not supporting gaming*

15. Hunter

Hunter New Member

Hungary,Székesfehérvár
    Forsaken do you use Mac?
    And if I am right, SC2 will support both platforms.

16. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    That's not apple's fault.  Its the fault of game developers for not making games that run on MAC OS

17. karlo

karlo New Member

SOL system
    oh my gosh! im the only one who votes for mac,im using mac now.

EDIT:5 now are voting for mac.

18. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    I never used mac only windows. I rarely encounter problems, so I don't see how people can complain about the massive errors windows is so crowded with. All you need to do is update your virus protection every once in a while to keep your computer bug free.

19. karlo

karlo New Member

SOL system
    in the philippines there are now tapes that can be played on mac.

20. Rex

Rex New Member

Rofl! 1 vote for Mac :D Has anyone seen their commercials? It's quite stupid/funny.