windows 7 ****ed up display/resolution for sc

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by Ballistixz, Oct 26, 2009.

windows 7 ****ed up display/resolution for sc

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by Ballistixz, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Ballistixz

Ballistixz New Member

didnt know where to post this cuz i didnt know if i t was a sc problem or a windows 7 problem so i just came here. anyway ya, i got my windows 7 upgrade today and i upgraded to it. its pretty nice so far i guess but when i try to play sc it kinda ****s up the display/resolution. the graphics are screwed up and its not going to full resolution. i have a widscreen lcd with a max of 1366 x 768 resolution but sc seems to be played in 800 x 600 resolution... its quite annoying. i never had that problem before i upgraded to windows 7 and it always played in full resolution.

anyway to fix this? also the colors ingame seem to be messed up to. but ive been getting it for awhile now and didnt think it was a big deal since gameplay was the same when i was playing matches. but the display did get worst when i upgraded to win7 and some words are now flickering... heres a screenie of what im talking about.

[​IMG]

is there anyway to fix this? or fix the resolution atleast so i can play sc in widescreen mode again?

2. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    Have you tried updating your graphiocs driver? Have you tried running it in compatability mode?

3. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Couple things.

First, try manually setting your display to a smaller size and less colours. StarCraft literally cannot recognize the colour and rez you have it set to.

Second, what version of Win7 do you have? If you have Professional or Ultimate, use XP mode.

Third, what LK said. Update drivers, try compatibility mode.

4. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    Having just tested this, open up the compatability options and check every one of them. This should fix the problem. Also, when looking around online supposedly if you start the game with your windows resolution window open it works fine as well.

5. Lobsterlegs

Lobsterlegs Guest

Make sure every other program/window on your desktop is minimized or closed before you start SC, it should remove the wierd graphics. Also try CTRL+ALT+DEL a few times (press, close task manager, press, close).

6. Supahboih

Supahboih New Member

Sweden
    waaaait...
    you can change resolution?
    -.-

7. bralbers

bralbers New Member

North Carolina, USA
    I haven't had this problem with SC and windows 7. To be honest the only problem I have is that after about 3 hours of playing on windows 7, SC will just close itself and I have to reload it.

8. darkone

darkone Moderator

Mississippi
    Vista used to do this to me all the time, just alt tab a few times. See if that works.

9. Ballistixz

Ballistixz New Member

tried all what u guys said to no effect =/. the colors dont bother me much i can deal with the color, its just the resolution is annoying. its still playing in this 800 x 600 resolution and theres black space on the right and left side of the screen when i play instead of it being full wide screen. tried running it in compatibality mode as well and nothing =/.

o well guess ill just have to deal with it for now, ill keep trying to find a solution tho.

as a FyI tho, all my other games work perfectly with win 7, only sc seems to be giving problems right now. idk why it happened but w/e. ill figure something out hopefully. also i can still play it, its just the resolution and color gets annoying sometimes but if it cant be fixed ill just have to get use to it till sc2 comes out.

o and all my drivers are up to date. i have a nvidia geforce gts 250 as my graphics card btw if that helps any.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  10. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Are any of your other games over a decade old? I'd just wait for a patch before tinkering with your system to much.

11. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Then you obviously DIDN'T try everything.

This right here should fix your problem completely. If you're running your PC at 1680x1050, of course SC is gonna flip out at you, it doesn't even know that resolution exists, much less how to run it. Set it to something like 1280x800 and try again. Bonus points if you switch your display to 16-bit colour.

12. Ballistixz

Ballistixz New Member

trust me i did try lowering resolution it didnt work =/. its stays the same no matter what resolution i put it at. the colors is fixed its just the resolution thats being stubborn. i have to be doing something wrong tho cuz i actually manage to make sc game screen SMALLER when i switched to 16 bit. *fails*.

Edit: ok its seriously not working. i tried lowering resolution and i tried playing in 16 bit, nothing. i played it on every resolution possible for this monitor even on the lowest resolution its still the same and unchanging. so i give up, ****e it for now. its only pissing me off more and more right now lol...

and before anyone says anything NO im not dissing windows 7. its been a great OS so far. just something im doing wrong i guess.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  13. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

[​IMG]

These are my settings for SC:BW and it works perfectly for me.

I didn't even adjust my resolution or colouring.

14. Ballistixz

Ballistixz New Member

ya unfortunately that dont work either =/. but i think i know what the problem is now. it seems my fit to screen scaling on low resolution games was some how disabled when i s witched to windows 7. and the nvidia control panel does not show the option for flat panel scaling on my display options cuz i dont have one of those cable thingys (DVI/HDMI or something like that?) so now i have to find a way to get my scaling back up and that MIGHT work if i can. but right now my nvidia dont have one of those options in the control panel =/.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  15. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Ah, see, I am using a DVI cable as opposed to VGA. That shouldn't do anything, but it perhaps has to do with a digitally resolved resolution change as opposed to analog.

16. Ballistixz

Ballistixz New Member

ya ima try to get a DVI or HDMI cable. the store i work at seels a HDMI cable for 9.99 and i get a 20% discount so ima go and buy one of those tommorow or something. i do have a VGA to DVI adapter and a HDMI adapter that came with my graphics card but im still not getting the option on my nvidia control panel. under display it SHOULD have a option called flat panel scaling or something similar but its not there at all. i asked around and ppl say its because i have vga cable and not a full fledged DVI or HDMI cable.

heres a screen of what im talking about if it helps.

[​IMG]

as u can see the option is not there at all. and right now im just in a "im screwed" situation and has come to a brick wall with rabid hungry wolfs chasing behind me :[

on a side note tho i am kind of getting use to playing sc in such a small screen in the center of my window, but im still way to use to the streched screen of SC. i know alot of ppl hate the streched sc screen but for me it was more comfortable and ALOT less straining on the eyes.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  17. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Alright, first thing, I wouldn't recommend going from a VGA to DVI to HDMI without a powered converter. VGA is analog, and HDMA is 100% digital. You're gonna lose a lot of quality, and possibly get sparkles. DVI is still a great cable, that's what I'd recommend.

Have you tried making a custom resolution?

18. Ballistixz

Ballistixz New Member

ya i did try to make a custom one, but didnt do anything to fix screen so i just set it back to native resolution.

19. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    If your computer screen has a button on it to stretch what's on the screen automatically: tried that yet? It's a last resort kind of option, but it might work as a temporary solution.

20. Ballistixz

Ballistixz New Member

thats wat i was trying to look for but i havent found it =/ i have no such option.