Windows 2007 fails again.....

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by EonMaster, Dec 3, 2007.

Windows 2007 fails again.....

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by EonMaster, Dec 3, 2007.

1. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    This thread is to tell about a recent issue I had while using windows to work on a project for my college chem class, which I am already doing terrible in. Computer issues make my life so much harder than they should be. Luckily this was on a school computer, but my labtop can't handle it either.

But first some background info. The project was to graph a Gas Chromatography we did in class a few days ago for HW. After doing the initial testing and data recording on the computer in class, we emailed the results to our email addresses to work on them later independently. However, when I reopened the file and graph on my computer, the file was about 200KB?!?! The computer program used to find the information records a reading about every .1 seconds for 600 seconds. In all, there were approx. 18000 numbers involved. Then I cut/paste the information into windows excel to graph it.

He is where things began to go wrong, so very wrong. Upon graphing, the graph x-value went out to 40K seconds, even though my graph only went out to 600 seconds. Also, for some reason, the graph was only a horizontal line when the data and teachers said it is supposed to be a curve. I had to do this three times with different sets of numbers, but the result was the same every time. I spent about 30 minutes trying to fix it, but to no avail.

Next, I went to go to word to copy/paste to print it out on a single sheet of paper, words began to freeze up as I pasted the last graph on it. The screen began to sort of continually switch between the word and excel windows I had up and at points, would suddenly enlarge certain graphs and not others. After about 10 min. I was finally able to get all three graphs posted.

However, because of excel's and window's crappy performance, I can't do the equations to find the curve area, base width, and retention line.

Thank you windows for giving me the pleasure of fighting you for over 30 minutes and getting nothing out of it. My only hope is that this HW assignment won't be worth too much credit toward my overall score.

Also, does anyone know what may have caused windows to function so sporatically?

2. Alasdair

Alasdair New Member

Toronto
    maybe your computer is just gimp? or maybe a problem with your program, perhaps it was installed poorly, but whatever you do DONT SWITCH TO MAC!

3. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    Never planned to use mac. Also, it wasn't on my computer but on a college computer, but when I started to try on mine, it did the same thing. It's crazy that many of us in the class have similar data, but my roommates apeared fine; just jagged slopes, another mate had the graph going all over the place, and mine was just a straight line that nearly froze a computer.