will the defiler and queen still be in the game?

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by karlo, Jan 3, 2008.

will the defiler and queen still be in the game?

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by karlo, Jan 3, 2008.

1. karlo

karlo New Member

SOL system
    will they be?

2. cohnee

cohnee New Member

I hope the defiler won't be. I hated that unit so much. It was really weak, came very late in the game, and I just thought it wasn't as good as the queen.

I hope the Queen stays and gains a bigger range of abilities. Perhaps it could mutate in to a different form, which has different range of abilities.

3. -LT-

-LT- New Member

We don't know that yet. I hope we find out soon. :good:

4. zenomorph

zenomorph New Member

I think they will either be replaced by new units or renamed atleast, but it would be nice to see some new casting creatures ::)

5. Quanta

Quanta New Member

We don't know but I predict that they'll be replaced. To have newer fresher units, older units will have to be scrapped and I think the queen and defiler are good candidates for the garbage heap.

6. ZeR[g]LiNg

ZeR[g]LiNg New Member

I hope a spellcaster comes in Tier Two, and Dark Swarm stays. I loved that ability, it was so pwnage. I think all ranged attacks should be affected, regardless of splash. I hated that the siege tank still did damage to my lings under the darkswarm.

7. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    All I care about is plague and parasite staying in the game, both very useful for Zerg players who don't JUST mass with no tactics.

8. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

An estimate based on what we have seen so far:

Protoss Original Casters - High Templar, Dark Archon, Arbiter
    Protoss Returning Casters - High Templar, Twilight Archon (.5 Dark Archon haha)

Terran Original Casters - Medic, Ghost, Science Vessel
    Terran Returning Casters - Medic, Ghost

Zerg Original Casters - Queen, Defiler
    Zerg Returning Casters - ?

Personally, I think that the Queen will make a return. It was one of the most underused units from the original Starcraft, and because of this Blizzard will probably want to spice it up. Also, a rumored Zerg caster, the Succubus, is supposed to replace the Defiler directly.

An estimate on the new Zerg Queen concerning old abilities:

Spawn Broodling - Cool ability in the original Starcraft. I know I used it a lot, mainly for defensive purposes (Broodlings were extremely weak). However, I don't see the ability returning. Look for something new in this slot.
    Ensnare - Personally, I felt this was a next to useless ability. I also don't see this one making a comeback. We will probably see a replacement.
    Parasite - Blizzard will most likely keep something from the old Queen, and this is where I would put my money. Very useful spy and scouting ability.
    Infest Command Center - Most likely will not return. See the Succubus thread for what I think will replace this ability indirectly.

So I believe we'll see the Queen return, but in a whole new way. As for the Defiler abilities:

Dark Swarm - Awesome. Useful. Classic. We will see it again.
    Plague - Cool, but not really used much. Most likely won't be in Starcraft II.
    Consume - I bet whatever unit replaces the Defiler will keep this. Great way to regain energy both game and lore-wise.

Remember though, this is all speculation based on what I personally think will happen. A new and improved Queen, no Defiler, and a Succubus will most likely be the new Zerg casters.

9. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Nice analysis. I agree with you on most, but spawn broodling may return in a new form or something as it was pretty good for harrasing and defending against heavy troops. Although it may be hard to bring it back as we have huge units like Collosi and Thors.

Ensnare although useful against melee is was pretty much uesless against ranged units just an
    annoyance really, so yea I doubt they'll bring it back as it was.

Parasite, they have to add it in sc2, will be extremely useful now that units can traverse cliffs and such.

Infest Command center, IF the Succubus is actually being developed and the information is from a viable source then I doubt this would come back as the infests arenow part of the swarmalso no one used this ability as it takes too long and is very late game.

Dark swarm, I never really used this so I wont mind if it gets replaced by something else even tho its a very good spell.

I really hope they keep plague cuz I always used it whether it be offensive against workers or a Protoss base or to aid the destruction of large forces and defensive structures. It was invaluable against Protoss as they had no way to combat the plague ability, now you may say that was imba but they had regan shields so...

To be honest consume was stupid, I've never once used it in an actual battle as it would waste time where I could be micro managing my units so I highly doubt it will return. If so it will change.

Now on the Succubus thing, Basically he said it will take control of enemy units then after an elaspe time they will explode. Now that basically turns the enemy units into Banelings which is an overlap I dont like. Now if they remove Banelings cuz of this I wouldnt mind as it changed the Zerglings main profile a lot and I prefere them to stay as swarming units without the mutate, cuz as it said in its story... the genes for the Zergling are so BASIC they can make two with one strand making me wonder how can it mutate like that then if its so simple.

Ok now all together each race has three casters:
    Protoss- Mothership, High Templar, Twilight Archon
    Terran- Nomad, Ghost, Medic
    Zerg, Queen type unit?, Succubus?, ?

As you can see its 1 air unit and 2 ground units so Zerg may have a second caster which could be... Any speculations there?'

10. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

the succubus was proved to be a fake

11. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

yes i dont like the queen and defiler. their character was lame and boring... zerg needs new spellcasters which must look groundbreaking and great.

12. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    When you make a statement like that you're supposed to back it up saving me from wasting time typing this.

And on the Defiler I'd be happy if they gave it a weak attack and allowed it to move underground while burrowed but it uses up energy as it moves, spawn some nice stratagies and techniques there. (it keeps its abilities tho except consume)

13. Prodigal

Prodigal New Member

The defiler was the most god-like spell caster in the game, and could make a Zerg island base virtually impenetrable (with multiple defilers and support units and defense). One plague and you have a ruined fleet of BCs/Carriers. Never underestimate the power of well placed dark swarms and the adrenal zerglings and Ultras. Owns everything on the ground, EVERYTHING. ;)

The two SINGLE units that are the biggest "table turning" units are easily the High Templar and Defiler. The Defiler has won me many games...plague is just cruel.

Zergalicious, Protoss is the only race that can IMMEDIATELY counter the effects of plague, and was commonly used by elite players. Use the Arbiters stasis, the Plague wears off before the stasis does, and then the plague does no damage. Its not perfect but it can save your fleet!

14. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Havent you forgot the mothership and the Nomad? that make it to a total of 3 per race so far

15. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

@ furrer - I did not mention those units because they weren't RETURNING units from the original. Twilight Archon is mentioned because it is sort of a returning Dark Archon, but not really.

16. josh

josh New Member

In Our House
    I find the defiler's plague useful against mass enemy units. It's like damaging every single attacking enemy unit until it reaches a "one-shot, one-kill" situation. The mutalisks here will be useful because of their wurms which hits from unit to unit. I don't understand why most players don't appreciate its use.

I find it surprising that people like the queen because personally, I find it next to useless. I still use the spawn broodlings ability for both defensive and offensive (the broodling may be weak but they still do damage).

Well, back to topic. I can't really find a reason why the defiler should be replaced but I don't really mind if it does but I hope it won't be totally scrapped. As for the queen, I agree with ninerman13 that Blizzard will most likely improve the unit due to its lack of usefulness.

17. Inpox

Inpox New Member

I agree with above about queen, its not really worth the rescourse cost to get em,

Defilers on the other hand is very useful and got many handy abilities, there so no way it will be scrapped, it might get replaced by a similar unit though

18. Prodigal

Prodigal New Member

Josh, this may come as a striking surprise (i dont use them either!) but in some instances ensnare can turn the tides to your favor. Ensnare is a hard counter to valkries and wraiths and MNM, minimizing the speed of the Valks splash damage, allowing mutas/devs to annhilate them with ease. This is also of use against speed zealots, and corsairs, greatly diminishing attack and movement, two of theseunits best assets. Lets not forget the utility of casting spawn broodling on high templar. That critical pinpointed cast can tear open an expansion's vulnerability. The queen is a very under utilized, yet suprisingly useful unit.

19. Anansi_Tragoudia

Anansi_Tragoudia New Member

The defiler was an amazing unit, all of it's skills were useful, though it took quite a bit of skill. Consume allowed for serious devastation. (I often like consuming broodlings, rather than zerglings)

The queen 'could' be very useful. The queen was decent for defense, and that is the Lore role she was given (sitting back in the hive, watching over the drones and larvae). Parasite was very useful, especially if a Thor, Colossus, Nomad or Mothership were around.

I hadn't thought of her being updated. Imagine if it was overhauled, much like the ghost was.
    Parasite__Yeah
    Infest __ infest something attainable...
    Spawn Broodling__ Could still be very useful
    Ensnare__ Something more significant maybe... (what if it did moderate damage??? :-\ )
    ------
    @zergalicious Colossi are purely robotic. Thor is practically a building, so I doubt it would work, you couldn't Spawn Broodling a bunker (surprisingly) or a Barracks. (Haha, imagine a queen infesting a near dead thor :p <- I'm clearly joking)

20. DarkTemplol

DarkTemplol New Member

Infesting a near dead Thor is kinda interesting, acctually...