Will Arbiters Return?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Arachanox, Jun 18, 2007.

Will Arbiters Return?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Arachanox, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Arachanox

Arachanox New Member

With the recent addition of the Mothership as the Ultimate Unit of the sky, what will happen to previous UU, the arbiter? Will there be another cloaking unit that can teleport others? I personally hope that the Arbiter stays, but maybe it will have to be changed a bit. I have a few suggestions about a 'New Arbiter':

• You know how the Arbiter's first unique saying is 'We sense a soul in search of answers.'? Well, I believe that the arbiter has a crew of incredibly advanced Protoss High Templar, seeing as they have the best psyonic powers in the entire game of SC1. If they have the best psyonic abilities, shouldn't they be able to do other things as well? I would like to see a new arbiter that can do things such as casting incredibly powerful Psy Waves. Perhaps a wave of energy could emit from the front of the arbiter for about half the screen, stunning all enemies in its path?
    • Another idea I had came from the Arbiter's sayings. 'Do you seek knowledge of time travel?' is its second unique saying. One ability that I believe would add a tremendous amount of strategy would be a Time-Delay teleport. Basically, the arbiter would first cast the Teleport on a group of your own units, then fly near an opponent's base and cast the Teleport again in the middle of their base. If the opponent was not watching, they woudln't know that in 30 seconds or so, they would have an army in their base! But why have it on Time-Delay? Why wait 30 seconds? Send out a small platoon of units to their base and drag their defenses away. Then when their defenses are down, right on time the Teleported Units appear to devastate the defense-less base!
    • Finally, an idea that is more speculation than actually implementable. If the arbiter can bend time and space, it should be able to create Psyonic Bridges. These would be faint, glowing blue grid-like nets of energy that would appear in a large circle around the arbiter when activated. While they are activated, ground units would be able to walk anywhere on those bridges. This means that if you hover an arbiter over a gap in the map, like on the space station terrain, your ground units will be able to cross it! Also, if you hover the arbiter over a cliff, ground untis would walk right up the cliff with no problem!

What do you guys think?

2. FlyingTiger

FlyingTiger New Member

CT
    haha those are good ideas. i especially love the Psyonic Bridges idea... great for some sneak attacks.

however, i think the Star Relic replaces the arbiters. So far the Star Relic does cloak units AND buildings. It's attack is a bit different though. But it is an air unit that casts spells like the arbiters. We don't know what they are of course, but it's good to speculate. :powerup:

3. UchihaItachi0129

UchihaItachi0129 New Member

THEY BETTER BE! lol i was too lazy to read that. i'll read it some other time XD

4. PowerkickasS

PowerkickasS New Member

you sound like a newly employed marketing advisor lol
    j/k
    third idea sounds nice. not just to fill gaps but for transportation full stop. units can hop on and get carried by the net. you can almost call it a protoss version of a mobile weapons platform/upgunned tank if carried units could shoot :D. could be very practical and obviously better than using a damned weak prism without any mounted support

5. Arachanox

Arachanox New Member

Now, now Power. I wouldn't call my Psyonic Bridges 'nets' that carry units around. They simply 'fill in the gaps' on the maps.

6. PowerkickasS

PowerkickasS New Member

awww
    thanks for the -1 ;)

7. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    Or maybe, the mighty Protoss have finally developed the technology required to carry actual nets around, so they can fill the gaps with those!

8. coalescence

coalescence New Member

Star Relic ftw

9. Arachanox

Arachanox New Member

Yes, this bothers me to no end. 'We are the mighty Protoss, our psionic field matrices and Time/Space controlling powers are so much more l33t than yours!' *canyon appears* 'Find a way around it! Take as much time as possible and use the worst pathfinding ever!'

10. Itsmyship

Itsmyship New Member

Where only cool people live... So Cal!
    I think the Arbiter's job has already been taken over. If the Star Relic DOES come out, it takes the job of the Arbiter's cloaking. The Arbiter's other job, Recall, can be replaced by the Phase Prism's ability to get dudes on the field. The only thing that's lacking though is the Stasis Field, but I'm sure I'm just overlooking a unit that has that too :)

11. PrivateJoker

PrivateJoker New Member

Those are definitely thoughtful, creative ideas, however I doubt those abilities specifically would be available in the game. Also we should not rule out the possiblity of an Arbiter in SC2, with all new abilities.

12. Arachanox

Arachanox New Member

Good point, I guess we can't count on the Arbiter returning ;( I never used it anyway though; I love the Arbiter but it's too high-tier to be worth my time/resources.

13. paragon

paragon Guest

And if the arbiter is destroyed while they are crossing this magical bridge, the units fall to their death except the units are cloaked so only you and anyone with a detector would know. And would the cloaking hide their screams too or would someone just hear lots of screaming in a seemingly empty canyon/void?

14. Arachanox

Arachanox New Member

I think the screams out of the seemingly empty canyon/void would be an awesome feel! Just imagine it; you're walking through an area and *SCREAM*! I would freak out...

15. Itsmyship

Itsmyship New Member

Where only cool people live... So Cal!
    And when they chase your units across the Arbiter bridge, you just pop it right off ;D

16. generalrievous

generalrievous New Member

Simple answer is no, they have already said in pc gamer that the star relic replaces them

17. UchihaItachi0129

UchihaItachi0129 New Member

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo DO NOT DOUBT THE ARBITER T_T it just has to come back >.< i mean it is "THE ARBITER" i mean when you send in like 12 arbiters noobs just leave >.< what will we do now? >.< i loved the arbiter i dont want to see it go T_T
    nooo.... T_T

18. MrFrancko

MrFrancko New Member

Sounds like the Arbiter is going the way of the dodo. I'm just scared that with so many flying casters out there that a lot of them will just become like the arbiter and lay unused because they are too expensive and difficult to use effectively. I'm already scared of using the warp in abilities and the crazy Phase Prism personal carrier with the shield or whatever! What is wrong with the good old fashioned click a button and drop all the units? haha

19. generalrievous

generalrievous New Member

because it took waaay to long and the shuttles sucked

20. Moradon

Moradon Guest

Considering how the Phase Prism looks almost exactly like the arbiter leads me to believe that the arbiter isn't coming back. It's spells are already existant in some form in Starcraft 2 already:

Cloaking - Star Relic
    Recall - Warp In
    Stasis Field - New High Templar Ability

Although the Arbiter was a great unit, I think its time has come.