Which are you looking forwards to more? StarCraft2 or Diablo3?

Discussion in 'Blizzard Forum' started by ItzaHexGor, Oct 4, 2008.

?

Which are you looking forwards to more?

1. StarCraft2

21 vote(s)
    61.8%
  2. Diablo3

12 vote(s)
    35.3%
  3. Undecided

1 vote(s)
    2.9%

Which are you looking forwards to more? StarCraft2 or Diablo3?

Discussion in 'Blizzard Forum' started by ItzaHexGor, Oct 4, 2008.

1. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Fairly straight forwards. Which are you looking forwards to laying more? Now we're all StarCraft fans here, so I'd say StarCraft2 would have the advantage. That said, we're all Blizzard fans as well, and just because we're here waiting for the release of StarCraft2, it doesn't necessarily mean that StarCraft2's our most favoured game.

Which're you looking forwards to more?

2. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

diablo3

3. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Starcraft 2. :D Starcraft BW is my favorite RTS as of yet, but It's undeniably old even though it's still fun. I believe Starcraft 2 will make me play RTSs again. Yeah, I don't play them anymore, since nothing is as fun as SC BW. :p

As for D3, I liked D2, but it had its fair share of problems and was mostly a hack 'n slash with leveling. Not much depth in it. My favorite RPG is Fallout, it's tuly amazing. You can choose to complete the entire game without directly killing a thing. That's not to say you can't go on a rampage with flamethrowers and miniguns, but it makes the game more diverse and up-to-the-player.

That being said I am currently waiting for Fallout 3 to quench my RPG thirst.

I am going to buy D3 anyway, and enjoy it. But not even close to how much I'll enjoy Starcraft 2.

4. Meee

Meee New Member

Poland
    Diablo 3, h&s it may be but it's still a branch of RPG.
    Also Fantasy > Sci-fi in my book, so yeah

GMG, tried Planescape Torment?

5. AlexBlaze

AlexBlaze New Member

Hyperion's cantina.. *BURP*
    Starcraft 2 :D

6. Light

Light Guest

Diablo 3 obviously

*casts flame shield*

7. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Actually, no. :( It seems very cool though, and I might buy it if I find it somewhere.

8. Jissé

Jissé New Member

Dublin
    Starcraft 2 when I feel like meeting other people, and enjoy online cooperation and competition, or just some sci-fi action, and Diablo 3 when I feel like spending another evening building that another tank or caster, or just to get some dark fantasy action.

It's all about my mood at a given time, I cannot state a general opinion: I would need to try both games first.

9. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    *whistles*

Dead even.

@ GMG. I wouldn't say it's hack and slash with levelling. I don't remember levels being much of a problem with Diablo2. There were never any level requirements to do anything, or anything, so it was mainly dependant on skill. There were still the level intervals for getting the next skills, etc, but I definitely don't remember levelling getting in the way. It's still hack and slash, yeah, but I don't recall having to grind levels or anything. You were always just doing the quests, which're going to be more diverse in Diablo3.

That having being said, my brother ground his way to level forty on his hardcore Assassin before entering Tal Rasha's Chamber to face Duriel. :D

For me, I gotta say Diablo3. Wouldn't be able to pin it down to a point, but something about it's just got me on the edge of my seat. Then again, I felt this way when StarCraft2 was first announced. Then again, there weren't any other upcoming games to compare it to. All in all though, I can hardly wait for Diablo3.

10. Simbob

Simbob New Member

Australia
    Starcraft 2 ♫

11. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    @Itza. I am sorry for not being clear enough, I didn't mean that the very style of the game (being a hack 'n slash with leveling in my opinion) was the actual problem(s). :) It being said thing just made it repetitive, but almost all games are so that's a moot point.

One of the actual problems I meant was how unfriendly the game can be. I played through the entire first act and all the way to Duriel with ease using a barbarian but Duriel just stomped me. Only way for me to win would be to slowly abuse 20-50 or so townportals + countless quantities of potions to slowly wear him down. That's just plain stupid in my opinion, and so I quit playing that character.

12. Jissé

Jissé New Member

Dublin
    You have to spend TPs and potions to kill Duriel. Duriel is a kind of exam in the early game: a test between people who can deal stucked in a small room with a badass and mindless tank and those who can't. He is a full part of the game. You start saving regeneration potions at the beginning of the act for him.

The only way to kill Duriel straight away to me, is to spend days leveling around before to meet him, which I don't much personnally...

Another solution is to play with friends or online.

13. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Ah yeah, I see.

Yeah Duriel was a *****, though I still enjoyed the fight. Definitely easier with some characters than others. My first character was a Barbarian as well, and I remember Duriel being more than a tough fight. I reckon he was put there manly as a level checker, to make sure you were actually progressing, though they didn't have enough content to get you ready for him, nor did they have anything that required that much preparation afterwards. :p

Anyway, I doubt they'll have bosses like him in Diablo3, just as they won't have as many useless units in StarCraft2. But yeah. Duriel was a *****. As I said, my brother ground his way to level forty before even entering the room with his hardcore Assassin.

14. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    That's actually bad game design. How are you supposed to know you're supposed to save up a lot of potions before you meet him? How are you supposed to know what skills to invest in before you meet him? You can't even load old saves, so those combined makes the game unforgiving and hardcore. You basically have to go read internet guides before starting to play, and that's just bad.

Itza said something interesting, and that is that some characters are better than other vs certain bosses, which is true. I don't remember the details but I managed to take on Duriel as a Necro once, with only a very few TPs used.

15. tweakismyname

tweakismyname New Member

starcraft 2 ftw

persionaly starcraft has always been my favorate game, best part was the sheer custimizeability with the map editor, if u played ums, every day u would find something new to play and you can always just do something interesting yourself if you spend the time to do it.

i think if they just build upon the balance of the first one and make the editor just a little stronger, i could spend many more years happily playing sc2.
    ----
    Diablo 2 was a amazing game imo and my opinion of it changed for every charecter i started, its true that the levels never made a difference in it, just the skill, i never even got to level 90 (cap lev was 100 right? havent played in years) but i dueled everyone, i still remember my frost mage, fun fun. but the problem with it was it was too short, same like 35 quests over and over and way easy to do if you know the ropes. after a couple years i never played it again.
    ---
    so my opinion is based on the previous version, both were equaly fun but starcraft lasted longer and made a greater impression on me so i will continue to await the sequles release

16. KuraiKozo

KuraiKozo New Member

Uranus lol =D
    call me a heathen, i also go with Diablo3~

17. AcE_01

AcE_01 Active Member

Australia
    Starcraft 2.
    Why? I actually never tried any of the diablo games tbh. You never know i could change my mind if i do play diablo.

18. KuraiKozo

KuraiKozo New Member

Uranus lol =D
    diablo wa the first game i ever played/saw player besides those random games tha come wth the computer. It stole my heart from the moment i saw it, from questing off to defeat Diablo to little things liek eon and i connected on our comps through lan cables, ready to open the grand door to the butcher's room. Even the halls of Leoric, filled with amassing skeletons, sent fear through me at a young age.

Then Diablo2, we didn't get that until a few years ago, because the M rating (we had originally got a copied game of diablo, though later we made up for it by buying two diablo CDs and two Diablo2 CDs). my dad and brother have always played the diablo games, as have I. Even getting. Starcraft, I'm more attracted to the unique dungeon crawler, linear and repetitive as the game is, sometimes. RTS are freaking amazing, and I love starcraft, but Diablo has always held a place in my heart, one that continues, despite me not playing it so much.

And after seeing the two games in progress, it's a close tie. But I have been hoping for a Diablo3 since I finished the d2 storyline. Diablo isn;t the ebst game by far, but it's the very essence of a genre, really. The best dungeon crawler there is.

19. Jissé

Jissé New Member

Dublin
    The main point of Diablo 2 is its replayability, not its playability, at all.
    Nobody give a damn about to be able to guess what you should do at some stage, because everybody is endlessly busy on trying again and again to have the best characters ever. This is not a RPG, this is Diablo, you don't play an adventure and/or a puzzle game, you play a RPG-style arcade game, in levels randomly generated.

If you think this way, Diablo 2 is then a very bad game, because you quickly realise your first characters in every classes suck, that the first items you get are the uber sh#t possible and that you are lost in some lousy level in the middle of nowhere and are absolutely clueless about where you should go and/or what you should do, and that some monster in the game just raped you and that there was nothing you could do.

Diablo 2 is about building your character, not instant satisfaction. I have no satifaction at all the first 10 hours I am building a new character.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2008
  20. KuraiKozo

KuraiKozo New Member

Uranus lol =D
    ofc they suck, it's the point of the game to work up, duh, smartness. this isn't some FF or fire emblem game where the items you get at first are freaking powerful even from the beginning. And I never played online a lot until recently. It's not about being the best and beating everyone, it's about making a character that's fun to play that still kicks ass. If you've only seen little children who argue about who's stronger I suggest you try playing with people over a dingle digit in age.

And you better watch it when you say nobody, jisse. Knowing is half the battle in diablo2, it's not just a fighting killing game, it requires some strategy and quick thinking, too. Not as much as SC by any standards, but it still requires some. Sure, a kid can play it, too. But they don't know how to make the most of the game/ Randomly generated levels give it a sense of mystery. I liked the first diablo much better because the levels were claustrophobic and they gave you a sense of fear, but D2 is a good game, too. Don't just say it sucks because you don't like it. Stereotyping with the always tag is a childish thing, act your age and take into consideration not everyone is as hypocritical and nit picky about games as you.