Whats wrong with my Laptop (SC2) What should I upgrade first.

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by Tubaker, Apr 28, 2010.

Whats wrong with my Laptop (SC2) What should I upgrade first.

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by Tubaker, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Tubaker

Tubaker Guest

Hey folkes. I just signed up here looking for some SC2 Beta help. I finally got my Beta Key after pre ordering at Amazon, Installed the game and I realize my computer just cant handle it. Its not even close.

Im not a PC gamer. Not at all. The only PC games I have installed on my computer are WC3 TFT and Starcraft. Blizzard RTS's are the only games I ever plan on playing on a PC. My laptop is about 3 years old .. its an HP pavillion dv9500. Im realizing every day just how 'old' it is. I know I need to upgrade it.

Anyways, I opened the beta its already lagging. Barely could login, barely could accept the terms of service, then I said screw it .. this isnt working. I plan on going to best buy in a few hours if some kind peeps here can tell me what I need.

I have 1gb of Ram right now, so I know I need to pick up some. Im thinking 2 2GB chips because my computer only has 2 slots. I just hope it can handle that much ram. Im running windows 7 64 bit.

My Processor - AMD Turion 64x2 mobile technology TL-58 (2cpus) - 1.9 GHZ ( I dont know what this means, just writing down what it says )

Video Card - GeForce 7150M / nforce 630 m

I know I need RAM, and im willing to spend $100 on picking up those 2 2GB cards IF thats all I need to make the game run smooth. I dont need incredible graphics, I just need the game to run as lag free as possible. Im HOPING someone will post here telling me that once I upgrade my ram, i'll be all set, but I have my doubts. I dont think I can afford a video card upgrade and a Ram upgrade, and if my processor isnt good enough .. well then I guess im screwed. Anyways, any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Well... I do think you need some RAM. That would definitely help you out. But I think your main problem is that you have an integrated graphics card. The earliest GeForce mobile series share memory with the processor. That means it's not going to perform as well as a dedicated graphics card.

Unfortunately I don't see any mods online on replacing the video card for that specific laptop. My advice would be to find a PC savvy friend who could upgrade your card for you.

For now, you should try upgrading the RAM and setting the game to run at "lowest" settings. Turn off all shadow and HDR rendering.

Here's the RAM that you'll need to upgrade with:

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Pavilion%20dv9500t%20Series

P.S. - If you want to Start -> Run and typed "dxdiag" (or just go to the search panel in the start menu if you have Win 7 or Vista), then hit "Save all information" on the first tab" and posted it, that would help us give you better info!

Should look like this:

System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
    System Model: EP35-DS3L
    BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7200 @ 2.53GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.3GHz
    Memory: 2048MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 2046MB RAM
    Page File: 1300MB used, 2792MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11

Then scroll down and grab your graphics card info:

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce GTS 250
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Display Memory: 1266 MB

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  3. Tubaker

Tubaker Guest

Thanks for your imput. I bought a 2GB Ram card and installed it. The game at least ran with all the settings down now. I just played my first game and it was laggy and choppy. Almost unplayable, and deffinetly not an enoyable game. Is this because I need MORE Ram, or the video card? or the processor? I just want the game to run smooth. If it looks good then great, but im more concerned with the slow down.

Anyways, here are my specs.

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.100226-1909)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
    System Model: HP Pavilion dv9500 Notebook PC
    BIOS: PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.1
    Processor: AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-58 (2 CPUs), ~1.9GHz
    Memory: 2560MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 2494MB RAM

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 7150M / nForce 630M
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce 7150M / nForce 630M
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC\
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0531&SUBSYS_30CF103C&REV_A2
    Display Memory: 1049 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 57 MB
    Shared Memory: 991 MB
    Current Mode: 1440 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)

4. Mako

Mako New Member

You need a video card. Everything else should work fine for the game.

5. Tubaker

Tubaker Guest

hmm, well .. If anyone has any good Video Card suggestions for my laptop .. cheap optionts would be nice. And any insight on how hard it is to do this myself. Thanks.