What should I get?

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by LoVeRBoy[E], Apr 21, 2009.

What should I get?

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by LoVeRBoy[E], Apr 21, 2009.

1. LoVeRBoy[E]

LoVeRBoy[E] New Member

Rocky Mount, North Carolina
    So many of you may already know the estimates for the requirements for SC2, and from what I am reading there is not a single computer in my house able to play SC2. So I did a little research on what kind of CPU/computer I should get to support my gaming needs this is what I came up with..... http://www.alienware.com/products/desktop-computers.aspx So which one should I get or is there something better out there?

2. Lobsterlegs

Lobsterlegs Guest

First of, you should concider building your own computer instead of buying from a company (in this case DELL).

This only will make your computer cost more than it needs. It's really not that hard, and there are guides, forums and sites on the internet if you need them. Or if you don't want to do that, find a place where they can build your computer from your bought parts.

Secondly, I can tell you that buying a computer now would be completely unnecessary if you only plan to play SCII on it. New technology like the intel i7 and the x58 mobos and DDR3 are quite pricey at the moment, just like any new technology. Waiting more allows you to save money and get even more performance later on for the same price.

If I had to choose I would take the Area-51® X58, hands down.
    It has the new x58 chipset, i7, DDR3, that will last for a long period of time. Not (perhaps 2 years). Not too expensive. But as I said, your computer choice depends on what you want to do with it really. You could buy a PC for 700$ that would run SCII just fine.

I wouldn't say that SCII will have REALLY high requirements. Pixel Shader 2.0 and and the havoc engine don't need an incredibly expensive computer to run (like the one I mentioned earlier.)
    I'd say SCII will be playable on most Core2's with a graphics card for around $150 and about 2 gigs of ram (800MHz+).

I don't think SCII will be more PC-needy than World in Conflict to be honest.. But I could be wrong, of course.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2009
  3. LoVeRBoy[E]

LoVeRBoy[E] New Member

I know this but I need a new computer all together....And if I was to buy one of those I wouldn't but just for SC2, I would use it for my other PC games and for regular PC uses not just gaming....But also like you said I might just end up buying a regular computer, probably a dell. There's about a 50/50 chance that I will get one of those, most likely won't be the ALX X58. Probably will get the Area-51® X58 or the Area-51® 750i.

4. Lobsterlegs

Lobsterlegs Guest

If you have to buy a computer now, go for the x58. Buying "old" technology (core 2) is unecessary because in a year or two, I bet core 2 would be like the intel P4's right now. But if you buy a PC with x58 chipset (core i7 and DDR3 and that stuff), you will still have a pretty good PC in two years' of time.

Or, if you want to, you could buy the Area 750i. The "saved money" (about 40%) could go to another build later on. The 750i will handle most games without much problem, and it will still last a while.
    It also depends on what resolutions and settings you like to playing on.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2009
  5. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    And do not forget this: the other two parts of the game will use the same engine. So you will at least be able to always play starcraft 2 properly. Even in 3.5 years or so, when they finally release the last part. -legacy of the void is a working title, just like the other ones-

Also, how badly do you need a new computer right now? If there is no other reason besides being unable to play certain games, then I would wait. Then you can buy a new pc when the game is released, and always play it on full settings without needing an upgrade.

6. Lobsterlegs

Lobsterlegs Guest

I already mentioned that he could wait..
    And anyways, he would still do fine with that "cheaper" 750i without needing an upgrade when the game comes out. It depends on what he want's to play and with what quality settings..

7. LoVeRBoy[E]

LoVeRBoy[E] New Member

Oh trust me I need a new PC....I'm not allowed to use the one in the breakfast room and I can't download the anything to my laptop without my admins permission. So that leaves my desktop in my room which works every once in a blue moon, and when it finally does work it lags terribly....And I also found these and was wondering is they were any good....http://www.bestbuy.com/site//olspage.jsp?id=abcat0501003&type=category

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  8. Lobsterlegs

Lobsterlegs Guest

Nah, go for the x58 if you have the money.
    That XPS looks too expensive for the hardware you get.

9. LoVeRBoy[E]

LoVeRBoy[E] New Member

Ok....I've got the money to buy 2 of them but I won't get it right now, I'll get it later because as of right now I don't I can't get it. (personal issues) Thanks for your help. Cela résume parfaitement sur....

10. Lobsterlegs

Lobsterlegs Guest

No problem, heureux de vous aider.

11. LoVeRBoy[E]

LoVeRBoy[E] New Member

Ah, one more question what kind of monitor would be best to go with them or does it really not matter? C'est tout ce que j'ai besoin de

12. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Try to get an lcd screen with a maximum of 2ms response time. Any slower and you get 'trails' behind fast movements and such. Quite important when gaming.

Further, look for an auto-adjust screen-with option, a good viewing angle, and good contrast. Also, you should be just fine with 21 inch if you use a desktop. -Since the screen is really close.-

Not really a specific brand to reccomend, but avoid Dell screens and similar brands. I would go for samsung. Good quality, but not to expensive. Speaking of expensive: already thought about your sound set? -surround or not-

13. LoVeRBoy[E]

LoVeRBoy[E] New Member

Okay, I'll remember that and take it in to consideration when I go to buy my new comp. no I haven't put any thought into the sound. I will probably but a surround if I can afford it after I get the computer. But then again I might just get regular speakers. What kind of sound do you have and what would you suggest?

14. PancakeChef

PancakeChef New Member

United States
    In my current setup i have 2 regular speakers and a small sub-woofer for the beefier sounds with an onboard high def quality sound chipset. Personally, I would recommend getting an actual sound card if you can and it all depends on what kind of setup you want for speakers etc.

Personally, I like the 2 regular speakers and the sub-woofer because its kind of inbetween a surround sound and reguler ole fashion two small speaker setup.

Aurora, is dead on with a LCD monitor with a good response time and auto adjust, your definitely gonna want to stick with that standard or even get higher quality if you can, for brands, I have a Widescreen flat panel from acer with auto adjust, etc and its working great for me, it even has better quality than my HDTV.

15. LoVeRBoy[E]

LoVeRBoy[E] New Member

This might make me sound a little dumb but I have no idea what a sound card does. I know what it looks like though.

16. Meee

Meee New Member

Poland
    Do you know what graphics card does?

17. LoVeRBoy[E]

LoVeRBoy[E] New Member

Yeah...no, but I googled sound card and it turns out that I do know what a sound card is.

18. Novacute

Novacute New Member

Just get a dual core PC it's will be fine. Possibly a 9600GT> Card or even an Ati 4850 if you can afford the extra 50 or so. 2gb+ of ram is fine too.