What kind of SC2 laptop?

Discussion in 'Forum Information, Questions and Feedback' started by neko.punk, May 24, 2010.

What kind of SC2 laptop?

1. neko.punk

neko.punk New Member

So I'm saving up for a laptop to play SC2; a desktop just isn't sufficing enough when I need my SC2 fix, and I'm out all the time. I'll be completely honest, I don't care what kind of graphic settings I play in as long as it has smooth gaming; I can't stand laggy gaming, it throws me off.
    Any suggestions on a specific laptop? I've tried googling it a few days ago, but all I get are old posts in old forums back in 2008; yeah, not trusting 2 year old computer technology.

Thanks again people.

2. dcoetzee

dcoetzee Member

Berkeley, California
    Well the first thing I'll say is you do not need a crazy gaming laptop to play this game - my system has an NVIDIA GeForce GT 230M (a mobile card with 48 shader cores) and it gets along just fine on medium settings. As long as you have a midrange NVIDIA or ATI card you'll be alright. Any typical CPU that ships with a modern system (1.6 GHz or higher, typically) should be just fine - I think SC2 only uses one core so don't worry about number of cores. You're probably fine with 2 GB of RAM, although I recommend getting more for other applications. I do recommend a 7200 RPM drive for faster launch times, but won't make much of a difference in game with everything cached.

A large high-res screen is really nice to play it on, since you can see a lot of fine detail and it fills your field of view - mine is 18.4" at 1920 x 1080, which is insane for a laptop, but even 1600 x 1200 or 720p will look pretty nice. However larger screens also increase weight and decrease battery life, so careful with that (mine has about a 2 hour battery life and weighs 9 pounds).

Also, remember to get a mouse. :) And a headset in case you want to play with voice chat, or want to play in public without disturbing others. I haven't seen players using voice chat much yet, but I bet they will.

Last edited: May 24, 2010