What happened to the GIANT THOR

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Dragon God, Dec 2, 2008.

What happened to the GIANT THOR

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Dragon God, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Dragon God

Dragon God New Member

Vancouver
    No but really...
    If they tried to balance the thor, i think it kinda failed, they turned it into a self-repairable big seige tank:eek: that can only be built at a factory...
    I like the idea that you can build it anywhere like a building and that it has a flak attack with the bombardment and its particle cannons that rape almost anything in 2 hits,
    everyrace got a new capital weapon, zerg=queen/anyother new unit protoss=mothership and the terran got a lously biped walking tank:wacko:
    OOOhhhh biped tank? why dont we call it a mech instead:arghh:?
    really?
    What the Thor needs is its good ole stuff back:cool:.
    well thats what I think
    so lets all hear what the Starcraft Community has to say about this "mech"

2. AcE_01

AcE_01 Active Member

Australia
    you make us pay a dollar just to discuss about the thor??!!?? lol!!

i think the thor should go to its former role and bring back the aa unit, predator.
    there has been far too many thor thread. I remember i had another thor idea in another thor thread...but i cant remember the idea....which mean i dont remember my other idea....meh.

3. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Why is everyone so loyal to the Predator? Seriously, all we were ever told about it was that it was an Air-to-Air attacker, and had an ability to intercept missiles that obviously didn't work properly. It was practically a Valkyrie with a minor extra ability, so seeing as everyone hated the Valkyrie, why does everyone love this Predator that we've never even seen in action?

And in addition to that, it's design is a blatant rip-off of Star Wars, and people've *****ed enough about Blizzard's lack of innovative design, so not only was its StarCraft1 equivalency hated, but it's a copied design as well. Why on Earth are people so loyal?

On top of that, the Battlecruiser's Missile Barrage ability also overlaps with it, so bringing it back would remove the Battlecruiser's customisability, and replacing the Thor's Anti-Air with it wouldn't work, because an Air-to-Air unit and a Ground-to-Air unit are of two very different designs. It's only with the Thor that Terran are not lacking in the Ground-to-Air department, and removing it's Anti-Air attack to make it pure Ground-to-Ground, while introducing an exclusively Air-to-Air fighter would simply flood those areas of expertise.

The only change than really needs to be made to the Thor is to make them powerful and, above all, expensive. They should not be a viable unit to mass, so making them relatively expensive for their power would resolve that issue. Also, being more powerful and more expensive means that they can be bigger, and hopefully, being bigger, can then be built individually, and not from the Factory.

Powerful and expensive. That's all that's required. It shouldn't be reduced to a pure Ground-to-Ground attacker, and introducing an Air-to-Air fighter to compensate for that simply would not work, as those areas are already flooded, while Ground-to-Air is not.

4. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    What starwars thing is the Predator ripped from?

5. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    It's straight out of the Star Wars universe, based most noticeably off the X-Wing.

6. Dragon God

Dragon God New Member

Vancouver
    With the missle barrage though, its late tier and zerg would mass multilisks.
    The Thor would be usefull for taking down zealots, zerglings, stalkers and roachs while every other unit beats up everyother unit

yea im just testing that 1$ thing :D

7. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    The Thor comes at the same stage as the Predator would, so swarmed Mutalisks would easily be taken down if massed.

Don't get what you mean by taking down Zealots, Zerglings, Stalkers and Roaches. That doesn't really sound like the original Thor at all.

8. Dragon God

Dragon God New Member

Vancouver
    because the thor does high damage and if it had its barrage attack: 2 or 3 artillary barrage overlapping while siege tanks would kill colousai/ultralisk and marines take out multilisks or phoenixs

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  9. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    ...That has nothing to do with the Zealots, Zerglings, etc. The old Thor was there to bust through the front line of defence, not to take care of all the little units. That's what the Banshee was for.

10. Vakarak

Vakarak New Member

away
    -facepalm- i only hope that my dollar was put to good use -groan moan *****-

~ahem~ anyway...
    [​IMG]

look how sexy and PWNarific that looks.... the base attack is like kind of weak but the abilities look so BADASS and AWESOME so i don't really give a damn.

11. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    I want the Thor THIS big.

[​IMG]

And no! I won't listen to any reason! Make it this big now!

@Itza. Yeah, if the Thor is made expensive and strong enough, its rarity will justify bringing back the SCV contruction mechanic.
    That won't work if the Thor needs to be massed since you need as many of your SCVs collecting resources as possible.

Only problem would be the empty spot in the Factory. I don't know if it really is that much of a problem though.

12. freestyLes

freestyLes New Member

gasmaskguy,

that picture almost made me ejaculate in me pants.
    LOL

i agree with you gasmask. the thor should be freaking expensive and made by the scv again. where did they come up with building the thor from the factory. wtf. bring back the old thor not some seige tank/goliath wannabe.

nice pic btw.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  13. aem1

aem1 New Member

Cali
    if anything. the thor is just for show and tell for the terrans..

14. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    The Thor should never 'need' to be massed, and, in fact, it's a problem if it is, especially if it's brought back to its former size. Having it built by SCV's would help with that, but it would also allow for them to literally be massed, with all SCV's building them at the same time, though I guess that depends on if we'll still have a tonne of minerals by end-game.

Expensive and long build-time should balance its size and power.

15. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

I would like to see the big thor back. Make it costs 1000 minterals and 500 gas but able to survive a lot. Cant mass it but worth the punch

16. Dragon God

Dragon God New Member

Vancouver
    Wont matter if you could mass it because you would need all those ressources for your other units.
    btw THAT PICTURE WAS AWESOME.
    they should bring back the bad-ass size and for the empty spot... put the goliath back
    because terran need a AA unit and the viking doesn't cut it.
    UNLESS, you gave the Thor big AA missles with splash on it that launch from a secret compartment on the back!

heheheh.
    imagine, a nuke launching from a thor!!!!
    KA-BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. Ursawarrior

Ursawarrior New Member

somewhere....not sure
    orange terran looks smexy

18. Vampire

Vampire New Member

Canada
    I'm pretty sure Thor is way bigger then the factory so I don't it's possible for it to come out factory. + I love the idea of Thor being built from SCV.

19. aem1

aem1 New Member

Cali
    how about a new seperate building just for the thor?

20. Kimera757

Kimera757 New Member

@DragonGod

"If they tried to balance the thor, i think it kinda failed, they turned it into a self-repairable big seige tank that can only be built at a factory..."

Unlike siege "tanks", thors are actually tough (and fill the tank role). Ironic, no? Also, they don't have the range to take on siege tanks. In some videos (such as the WWI 2008 Dynamic Evolution video) thors were shown as pretty badass against ground attackers. It provides another way to "push" into bases, a big deal when the protoss have immortals. (Thors spread their anti-ground damage over multiple attacks; it can deal 40 damage a hit to immortals. Even if that's only half the max damage, that's still pretty impressive.)

@ItzaHexGor

"Why is everyone so loyal to the Predator? Seriously, all we were ever told about it was that it was an Air-to-Air attacker, and had an ability to intercept missiles that obviously didn't work properly. It was practically a Valkyrie with a minor extra ability, so seeing as everyone hated the Valkyrie, why does everyone love this Predator that we've never even seen in action?"

1) I don't like AtA only units.
    2) Intercept missiles sounded cool, but didn't work. That could have been fixed.
    3) Valkyries were weak for their cost and, having no abilities, were vanilla.
    4) Predators were pretty cheap and mobile. Thors are not. Valkyries... not really.

"On top of that, the Battlecruiser's Missile Barrage ability also overlaps with it, so bringing it back would remove the Battlecruiser's customisability"

4) And that BC ability is lame. I want Plasma Torpedo back! BCs are pretty high tier for mutalisk killers anyway.

@GasMaskGuy

"And no! I won't listen to any reason! Make it this big now!"

Maybe in the campaign? I want a Simonson-class Thor. (You can make units much bigger in the Warcraft III map editor.)

Last edited: Dec 19, 2008