What does the terran army still need?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by DKutrovsky, Jun 16, 2008.

What does the terran army still need?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by DKutrovsky, Jun 16, 2008.

1. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

First post in a while btw :)

We have the Thor, nobody knows where we want him to be or to do.

We have the third spot of the factory open, we're not sure what we need there.

We have the Predator(still out to my last knowledge) but i think there's an open spot for another ship.

We have the Marauder, for some reason im not sure if this guy will make it. I see him as the support for marines, but idk if he's the best thing right now.

We have the Banshee, which is a nice unit, but i need it needs just a little bit more.

We have the Reapers, but idk how useful they'll be mid to late game. Remember we want all units to be useful early mid and late game, not just one phase. Think zerglings, you use em all throughout the tiers. Same with zealots.

I think what terrans need is:

A good ground to air unit thats a heavy hitter(20+ damage).

A good air to air unit that does splash(valkyrie) and a bonus vs small units.

Ground support units early on. We need the Medic back, starport to heal your marines? Not good. An idea that just came up is to get a factory unit, an armored ambulance type unit, basically a ground medivac. The unit will also be able to hold Marauders inside, and basically turn into its second mode, to fire flak granades making it a neat little Anti Air unit(i just came up with this and havent thought it through lol).

2. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    The Terran army needs the Medic back, that's for sure.

The Factory is full ATM: Siege Tank, Jackal and Thor.

Currently, that's the Thor, although it has a tendency of drastically changing each month.

The current BC has a AA splash ability that pretty much works like Plasma Torpedoes in the air.

3. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

I like the ambulance idea, maybe you should rather emphasize more on that unit idea

4. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Its the same as Kuvasz idea except this is a Marauder Tank.

They need Medics returned. Except I like the Medivac idea, so as I've been saying a lot and I will keep doing it, return the Medic, but add the Medic and Bunker mechanic to the Dropship. So when you load a Medic into a Dropship it can function as a Medivac.

5. CannonFodder

CannonFodder New Member

Somewhere near you
    i agree with your idea above psioncz, but this is the first time i've heard of it
    also I like Kuvasz idea more than the ambulance/marauder idea

6. LxMike

LxMike New Member

i agree that with medic at starport the terran are in a bit of trouble in T vs Z, we don't know how good is viking good aginst mutalisk but it takes too long for the Terran to get the medic

but, is that mean there is a free infantry slot in the barrack?

7. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Depends on how many spots you want to fill, really. There's currently 4 units there; The Marine, the Marauder, the Reaper and the Ghost. Before that, it was five units with the Medic.
    The Factory is the only building with the supposed 3 slots. :p

8. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

hmmm.. the medic really is in need, especially when terrans optimize for infantry units.., and since the medivac is in the starport, a reson perhaps they did that is to catch up with the reapers mobility, but the conflict there is that the Infantries are surely gonna have a very rough time to prevent those stalkers, zealots at tier 1 now that they dont have any support like before.. The vultures mines are also moved to tier 3 with nomads so again another conflict as we arent really sure enough of how will the jackal cope up terran versatility and last is that the Terrans doesnt have the mass Def. matrix support w/c was supposed to be available with the Nomad from the start and now seems to be missing or un heard of.. anyway if theyll ever bring the medic back in its infantry stage, id like for that unit to have heal, restore and irradiate at late game and irradiate makes sense being a medical units specialty as the one who knows knowledge of the cure also knows of the virus, since flare isnt such beneficial for me after all plus its more of a scouters ability w/c better should be moved with the dropship or jackal or not ^_^

9. Tralfagar

Tralfagar New Member

As far as I'm aware, the Thor is created by an SCV; similar to a building. To fill that gap, I would propose something I've been bouncing around in my head for a while now; a second transport for the Terrans. It would transport exclusively infantry, and heal infantry on-board.

It has two modes, similar to the Viking and Terran buildings, in that it can land and take off. While flying, it will heal any unit currently being transported at a rate slower than the medic, but all units within its hull simultaneously. While flying, it cannot load/unload units. But it can fly/land with units inside.

When landed, it can unload all of its units simultaneously, as well as load units up. Now's where I have the debate. It can either(it would only have one, with the other two ideas discarded):
    1) Keep units loaded into it, which continues to heal them, and lets it act as a M.A.S.H. unit(what I'm leaning towards. With possibly a small cannon attached.)
    2) Keep units loaded into it, which allows the craft to function as a weaker Bunker
    3) "Deploy" itself to make a Command Center(Similar to the Truck in Command/Conquer, or Drone morphing into a building).

-It does not heal units outside of it
    -It can go well with the Reapers in that it can give them a mobile base of operations between raids
    -Is it too late as a factory unit? It would be coming out just a little later than the normal Medics(as it requires more Vespene)

For the AtG unit, I suggest making the Viking more like a Goliath, in that it has the GtA attack in its mech mode(or a scatter shot similar to the Valkerie), while the air mode is to transport it(and possibly a weak AtA attack) to defend itself. And the air mode is a upgrade purchased at the Tech Lab. However, the game should be new, and it can't go back to the same old units from Brood War for everything(no matter how much we would like to).

For the Thor...I'm at a loss of what they're trying to do with it. It seems like the Siege Tank does what it's supposed to do, only better, and it seems the GtA attack will only be particularly good against Capital ships(assuming it is also a standoff weapon for air)

10. firemanbob

firemanbob New Member

TX
    well protoss have the mother ship, why not give the terrans a DEATH STAR!! you could just build it, and then destroy the entire planet taking the entire opposing army with it.

11. BloodHawk

BloodHawk Member

CT, USA
    I'm all for sexy android medics rolling out of factories.

12. Space Pirate Rojo

Space Pirate Rojo New Member

Canada, eh?
    MediBots?

Nah. We just need a German guy with a ray gun.

He'd look something like this.

[​IMG]

13. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    diffenaintly need the medic back in place of medivac.

14. LxMike

LxMike New Member

or have both, medic and the dropship which come with a passive heal ability

15. Juggernaught131

Juggernaught131 New Member

America
    i like the idea of a dropship with an ability to drop a droid along with tthe units that lasts a certain time and acts as a healer. That woudl add a cool possible animation as well.

16. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    i think the dropship would work better with a repair ability actually...

17. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    **** its so simple, let a Medic heal from a Dropship. It isn't rocket science guys :]

18. Juggernaught131

America
    i dont see how that would work, would the animation be that the medic repels down... and how does the healing work, one at a time or do the units have to be inside the dropship. is it AoE but that could be somewhat unfair. I like the idea of a reaper medic that uinstead of being a barracks build, maybe it be a factory build and it look like a hovertank with arms
    [​IMG]
    this image is only close to what i would like, but the red alert IFV works

19. Heavyarms2050

Heavyarms2050 New Member

anti-air and thor is not the answer

20. Juggernaught131

America
    i did like the idea of thor being a hulk with the artillery barragfe, but it overlapped the siege tank too much. I do think they should change the thor model so the artillery cannons are closer to being flack cannons. (they point too much like a cannon not an aa gun} The thor also seems to be faster, but i dop like the new thor and its self repair ability