What does the colosuss replace?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Gold, May 28, 2007.

What does the colosuss replace?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Gold, May 28, 2007.

1. Gold

Gold New Member

Im going to assume the colouss replaces something.
    it seems that most of the new units might replace an existing unit of somekind, (that units abilitys get split up it seems between the nerwer units)
    so what about the colosus?

I cant really think of anything.
    except maybe the carrier.

2. PeterPetreli

PeterPetreli Guest

The colossus is a completely new unit I think. Maybe it replaces the reaver? It looks like a great support unit!

Imagine a whole army of colossus... somehow though, it seems less scary than an army of carriers.

3. Gold

Gold New Member

well a carrier can take out loads of small units all at once
    so thats why i said carrier
    but thinking about it,
    the immortals are sorta like heavy dragoons
    the stalkers are like lighter faster dragoons
    so maybe the colosus replace dark templar?
    all just conjecture though

4. PeterPetreli

PeterPetreli Guest

No, dark templar attack style doesn't match. Like you said, carriers have the most similar attack to the colossus I think.

Too bad that they can be attacked by both ground AND air units. This makes them a lot more vulnerable. And they look especially weak against banelings. I can see it now, whole army of colossi run over by some banelings and poof, they're gone...

5. Gold

Gold New Member

i think every ground unit is weak to banelings, but i dont think there that strong individually, there were tones in that demo.

i think that the colosus will replace the carrier and the reaver, and there will be some cool new unit(s) that will come in with new abilities.

6. gr3ykn1ght

gr3ykn1ght New Member

hey hey HEY! why are you guys talking about replacing? i want them to ADD in!

i don't think colosseus can replace anything, if not, maybe the reavers, cos their attacks kinda of 'home' in on the target.

7. Gold

Gold New Member

il jsut clear something up.
    the reason i said dark templar and reavers is becuase both those units are used to go into a base and kill the scvs,probes and things like that,
    and to me the colosus seems the perfect unit to do that.
    i can imagine it walking up the cliffs and wiping out all the drones and then walking away again.

8. PeterPetreli

PeterPetreli Guest

They do look very fast. They can outrun banelings! I think that you won't be able to build these things till late game, like carriers.

9. TheDarkTemplar

TheDarkTemplar New Member

I think they'll replace Reavers to be honest. And the whole point of this being a new game is new things, if they kept all the old units this would just be an expansion pack!

Point: if the Colossus can be attacked by both ground and air units (and by missile turrets) does this mean it can attack air units? Because with the height of it, you would think it could.

10. Gold

Gold New Member

maybe, if they can put the guns up that high.

I think they will keep the idea of you having to build ammo (something both reavers and carriers have in comon)
    so it must go in a new unit.

11. TheDarkTemplar

I don't think the Colossus will have to build ammo, seeing as it's a laser. Maybe the Reavers won't be gone, but I have no doubt the Carriers are gone purely because the Protoss have gained three new flying units.

12. Gold

Gold New Member

what was the other old flying unit called? was it the scout.
    well what ever its name is, i think the pheonix replaces it, and they have just given it an ability, they said there were going to do alot of facelifting. Did the protoss have a seige unit before?, i cant really remeber

13. mc2

mc2 New Member

The reaver was the Protoss's ground siege unit, the Carrier was the air siege unit.

Though I'm almost certain that the carrier will be replaced by a new unit, the mothership + other air units could make up for it

14. TheDarkTemplar

I didn't really see them as siege units persé. I saw them as "I'm going to completely annihilate you. Mwahahahaha!" type of units. :D

15. reject_666_6

reject_666_6 New Member

I think that Reavers are gone in Starcraft 2, replaced by the Colossus and who-knows-what else. Dark Templars I think must stay, because most of the surviving Protoss population is of DT origin, so it would be stupid and racist if the Stalker is the only DT unit we get. And we can still hope for Carriers, right?

16. TheDarkTemplar

I read an article that said that Blizzard are having the same number of units as in StarCraft 1, so that means for every unit in, there's a unit out :'(

17. Gold

Gold New Member

yeah, there facelifting loads of units, so new model, new name, and sometimes they seem to be sending the skills to other units, its gonna change the stratagies and methods from sc1 should be good imp

18. KoN17

KoN17 New Member

Well, if collosals can walk over any type of terrain on ther map, and they have that type of same firepower as carriers do with interceptors vs ground units, then my guess is they will repace carriers :'( :'(

19. Khalarius

Khalarius New Member

i think the reavers are gone :(

20. reject_666_6

reject_666_6 New Member

But the decicive thing here is: will the Mothership be counted as a whole new unit? I mean, you can only make one at a time, and it's expensive, and can be killed quickly with a few Yamatos, and it's probably late-tier. It should be like a Terran Nuke and not count as a whole new unit.