What do you think about the HT and the DT?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by alex1, Sep 2, 2009.

What do you think about the HT and the DT?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by alex1, Sep 2, 2009.

1. alex1

alex1 New Member

What do you guys think about the Psy Storm cooldown? Wouldn't that affect the Protoss' ability to counter mass units? I used to storm lots of Mutas!

Also, I do not see much use for the DT anymore (more especially when it was moved to a higher tier, or maybe Im mistaken).

Any ideas?

2. Bthammer45

Bthammer45 New Member

It all comes to balance.

Dt are actually better then they where and if things stay the way they are with warp in I can see these guys being very deadly not to mention with the new shield mechanic it should be easier to move them in and out of combat ect.

3. alex1

alex1 New Member

oh yeah I forgot the warp :) thanks!

4. Ste

Ste New Member

Chicago
    Don't forget that you can always switch to Dt's if the build you do makes the enemy believe they don't need detection or are late on it..

5. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    I'd be more concerened with the reduced area of effect if I were you. It's not like a HT in Brood War could cast a Storm continuesly... Not that I care as a Zerg player. :p

6. alex1

alex1 New Member

I usually play random (no real fav race), but if in a game I was playing ZvP, Id think overwhelming the toss with my mutas would become an overused strategy, hence, less fun. :p

Well, Terrans have Thors so Im not too worried about them (although I do think it is overpowered).

7. asdf

asdf New Member

use multiple high templar.

8. 1n5an1ty

1n5an1ty Member

Reality
    hts disgust me :)
    why the hell would they debuff psi storm so that it cant 1 hit hydras. seriously. the maurader is counter for stalker. so it overkills stalker. in this way, so should the ht overkill hydras. i call for 95 damage storms, 75 energy, 6 second cooldown, upgradable to 3 seconds

hmmm dts are only better to oneshot rines. but with the shields upg, even with +9 atk, the dt can no longer 1hit rines. also, terran infantry as a whole has been upped in hp (especially maurader and ghost, which takes 4 hits by dt to kill muarauder and 3 hits to kill ghost)
    damn banelings are 2hit kills
    at least hydra is 2 hit kill now :)
    workers are same 1 or 2 hit kills so no change there.

i dont think this makes up for storm at all, especially now the dt comes seperate from the ht, even if the buildings are a bit cheap.

and as a last word, blizzard....
    *BRING**BACK**THE**DARK**ARCHON**F**F**S*

DAMN THEM ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. asdf

asdf New Member

lore-wise, i think both should be more powerful than the SC versions. after losing their homeworld, shouldn't the most talented and powerful protoss be studying/training like mad to discover new and more effective abilities to kill the zerg?

10. alex1

alex1 New Member

Well im not too keen on the stats, but a cooldown for psy storm is pretty much like giving a marine a cooldown between every shot. To me, it just does not make sense. Psy storm is the n°1 ability for a HT.

11. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Yeah, yelling at them helps. :p
    There's no point in bringing them back. They simply can't be made anymore. Now that the Templar use the Void and Khala at the same time, we can only get Twilight Archons. If you want them back because they looked cool, then you're screwed.

If you only want to have them because they were good casters, then you have little to complain in my opinion. Getting a Nullifier is way more easy then first having to research a lot, building a lot, training 2 Dark Templar, and then finally being able to merge. I fail to see your problem.

@alex1
    Like you said, the High Templar is a caster. The Marine isn't. The Protoss now have multiple area of effect abilities. Having a cooldown makes perfect sense. Or would you want to be crushed in 5 seconds by 2 High Templas, a Mothership and a bunch of Nullifiers? That's all it would take without cooldowns. So much for strategy. This isn't Warcraft where a single unit can turn the tide in a battle. The High Tempkar is just a regular caster, not a hero unit. -_-'

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  12. alex1

alex1 New Member

well yeah I can't see any caster nerfed to the point that they have a cooldown. Like you said, it's a caster, but regular caster does not imply cooldown LOL. It's not an ability. -.-

and besides, with the Storm being nerfed, even without cooldown, I cannot see how you can turn the tide of a battle. Units have more HP overall btw.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  13. 1n5an1ty

1n5an1ty Member

Reality
    ok first of all, if we can only get twilight archons, why were they removed? i wanted the freakin mind control back primarily
    but yea the other spells were great, as maelstrom + storm is just so freakin awesome

yes i wanna be crushed in 5 seconds, just micro ur ass, spread ur units, etc, focus fire snipe, yes regular caster, and now the psi storm is 80 damage has a cooldown this really is pissing me off
    yes more hp overall :)
    and im really stressing the point of 1 HIT KILLING HYDRAS WITH STORM THOSE MOTHER******S
    anyways, lets wait fer the beta :)

14. alex1

alex1 New Member

None of the Terran or Zerg units got nerfed in HP or attack. This can't be said for P.
    I feel that when T and Z got additional abilities (and Terran becomes stronger HP and attack-wise), the P have seen lower stats swapped with "additional abilities". They were the ones who underwent the most nerfs (if not the only ones).

I wish Blizz came up with something more "original" than nerfing the Toss LOL. This is at least how I feel.
    Maybe SC2 is all about TvZ then.

Psy storm has never been owerpowered, there were ways to avoid it.
    Pretty much like the Raven's missile.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  15. Bthammer45

Bthammer45 New Member

You guys think just because psi storm got a cool down it auto makes it horrible and nerfed to hell.

The whole reason it got a cool down is because its

a. Stronger

b. less ticks so it does its damage faster

c. larger area range

d. casting is a lot easier to pull off now

d. non spam-able so you can"t just throw them out like a crazy person with very few HT

16. 1n5an1ty

1n5an1ty Member

Reality
    r u serious.... "casting is easier to pull off"
    wat about a post this guy made about a mutalisk attack and the mutas killed his ht's b4 they FINISHED casting.
    so wat larger area range, storms are supposed to > hydras. storms cant 1 hit them anymore -.-
    and terran infantry has been buffed in hp overall, so im seeing storm as worse vs them.
    "non-spammable"........u mean smartcast thingy? .......just spam it anyways
    less ticks...ok that just might be one of the two buffed stats of the storm. damage-wise.... 112>80
    also, i just played this game where i had 4 ht, FULL ENERGY HAHAHAHA, and 8 goons, 1 shield battery + 2 cannons defending one of my bases. got attacked by like 50 hydralisks .....*storm**storm*, many of the hydras on the right side died, ht gets sniped, *storm* <- like 10 hydras died (cuz they were wounded), *storM*, by fourth storm i had 1 goon left, remembered to get to battery, recharge shields ftw >=D, storms again, the hydras die.

in sc2.....i woulda probably lost that base >.>

and HOW THE HELL IS IT STRONGER?! your other 3 points arent allowed to fusion hah and make another entity you know. seriously 112 > 80 -.- if ur talking about full damage

17. Gardian_Defender

Gardian_Defender New Member

Oregon_USA
    my opinion is that psi storm has become the plague of the Zerg in sc2, all you need in that sichuation was a bunch of zealots and a couple more goons and you would easily have saved that base. And a you only said I stormed like 4 times and you also said you have 4 temps full energy, umm I think you have a slighty bad story, sure that's awesome but I'm sure it wasn't 50 people always over react when they do stuff like that.

I have a friend and he was borad and I played Terran and he played toss on fpm, so I had no idea what he was doing and I did a around 2-3 dozen marines 2-4 tanks and 2 bunkers, then he charged in with some odd (60 or so is why he said) but it felt like a couple hundred cuz they never seemed to stop.

I might have had a few more rines and I don't think he had speed upgraded either or he wouldve won.

Just saying.

18. alex1

alex1 New Member

PSy Storm deals less damage, has a smaller AoE, and has a cooldown. Unless it uses significantly less energy, that would be what I call a "nerf". Of course we can argue how useful (or useless) the ability is, but this is still a nerf. And a big one.

19. 1n5an1ty

1n5an1ty Member

Reality
    dude my apm sucks balls, and also, it was wen my army was across the map pwning someone (it was ffa). i made some goons and hts cuz i was gonna go archons (omg those fluffy balls are so freakin awesome) thkfully, my low apm saved me that time xp no i dun have the rep. why? cuz it lasted almost 2 hours and i was gonna go freak out on the time i wasted as i played overmind defense
    and also at gaudian defender.....ur avi.....its so much worse than bralber's former avi, seriously im about to crap my pants -.-

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  20. Gardian_Defender

Gardian_Defender New Member

Oregon_USA
    Sry insanity I'm what you would call a mild noob. And I have S*** apm, (probly like 50 and goes to 100 for a split second when im attacked or attacking. cuz I don't play much.)

And psi storm is been "nerfed" just like plague so I'm guessing it's all down to balance!
    Psi storm I heard does it's damge quicker meaning they don't have to be in the storm for very long to get hit with a lot of the damge. And you guys keep bringing up that it has a cool down and had a smaller area etc etc...

This had been talked to death about in the Zerg with plague.

It had a smaller area because you can stuff more units in a smaller area, the cool down I think is to make you have to use more then one. And because of the new kool "smart casting" we could call it. You can select 6 and press t and click 6 times and one goes to one of those areas not all go to the same area like SC1.

Over all I'd you can place your storms with good positioning (much like pros) then this could be hella over powering if you
    have a bunch of HTs, put a few in a path as units are flooding in and all the units are at half health or lower by the time they reach you're base. And especialy if there's a choke then the enemys screwed cuz place the storms out side where they bunch up to wait to go through and right at the choke.

Psi storm FTW!!!

Edit: oh yea and does anyone remeber that one vid with Protoss being attacked by Zerg.
    The passage was cometly open so they blocked the sides and made the Zerg fight one unit at a time like toss want to do.
    Through a psi storm right in the middle and you've just created over powered mess.

Just think you suround yourself around most sides and make all units go through a psi storm to get to your units.
    Talk about that abilty to block enemys and psi storm at the same time and you've just created a very powerful combo.
    (notice I didn't say overpowerd)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009