Weaker terran?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Tankman131, Mar 13, 2008.

Weaker terran?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Tankman131, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Tankman131

Tankman131 Guest

??? ??? i have been watching the new videos from blizzard, and have found that there are new super weapons. Zerg has the now awesome queen with all her glory, the protoss has the mothership(personally my favorite) but i have not seen any real super unit for the terran. Some may say the thor is the super unit but
    1. it can have more than one per team
    2. has many weaknesses
    3. does not have an ability to just set up into the artillery mode, but has an ability that uses energy(Unlike the crucio)

My question is... will there be a newly announced tewrran unit, will they power up the thor, or will the terran be left out of the superweapons war
    ??? ???
    http://media.pc.ign.com/media/850/850126/vids_1.html

2. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

AHHHHH THERE ARE NO SUPER-WEAPONS IN STARCRAFT!

TERRANS ARE NOT WEAK - IT'LL BE BALANCED DON'T WORRY!

Sorry about the yelling, but we've discussed this to death. Check out my posts in those other threads for elaboration.

Edit - one of them.

3. marcusrodrigues

marcusrodrigues New Member

Brazil
    Terrans have the NUKE. I think it is super enough :)

4. Tankman131

Tankman131 Guest

just because it is not a one man army does not meean it is not a super weapon. Yes the mothership is open to fire from warp rays, soldiers, and other things, but any person who has graduated 7th grade knows you cant just send in the one unit. Just because it requires support does not make it any less than a superweapon
    Even if you still are not convinced, then fine they are not superweapons, but of all the races, the terrans thor seems to match up the least against the protoss mothership and zerg queen.

5. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

The Terran Thor isn't supposed to match up with the Mothership/Queen. Starcraft isn't a game where Race A Unit A is matched by Race B Unit B. Race uniqueness is part of what makes the game so awesome.

Basically what I'm saying is that just because Protoss and Zerg each have a unit that is specialized and limited in number doesn't mean that the Terran should get one as well. The races can (and should be) balanced in novel ways that aren't simply "Oh, let's give them all the same mechanic - a.k.a. Mothership/Queen/Thor." I'd really like to see nothing similar as far as the Terrans go.

6. Ych

Ych New Member

According to Jon (other beloved Mod that actually went to Blizzard and tried out SC2), Thors totally rapes Mothership when going head-on if the Mothership doesn't use any of its spells. Thors are also very effective against Carriers because not only do they damage the Carriers, their splash damage destroy all its little interceptors. So as of now, Thors totally dominate any air units in SC2.

7. CannonFodder

CannonFodder New Member

Somewhere near you
    I think that the current role of the Thor is rather dumb. The Thor is a basically a walking fortresses, but in its current role, its primarily anti-air which really goes against the idea behind the Thor. While the Thor doesn't have to be a super unit like the mothership, it would be nice to see it back as a powerful bombard unit that was weak to fast units like the jackal.
    Also as ninerman13 said, the races shouldn't match up unit for unit. While I understand your viewpoint, I don't think its very useful for starcraft because of the uniqueness of game. As long as each unit has a counter to other units and races the Gameplay should be fine.

8. Ych

Ych New Member

I totally agree.

I really hate the direction that the Thors are heading. Something so kick ass looking deserves better then this. Thors as of now, looks just like a souped up version of a Goliath. It's terrible IMO.

9. Tankman131

Tankman131 Guest

That is a very good point, and after watching the videos again... i have seen the power of the terran forces. Now, im seeing the thor as an O.K. weapon, but it with the wriaths and other things it will be better

10. darkone

darkone Moderator

Mississippi
    Well, them seem to do the job of Goliaths, protecting tanks from air threats. Though I don't like it being a suped up version of them.

11. Quanta

Quanta New Member

I agree. I want the Terran to have an anti air ship damnit. I also want the banshee to get its aoe attack back. Finally, I want the thor to be a major direct damage dealer.

My thoghts on the thor. The zerg and protoss have very powerful ground units, Ultralisks and Archons. I'd like to see the thor as a counter to those. I'd also like to see it in the role of a defense cracker. Give it roughly the same role as the protoss warp ray. It is debatable whether it should be able to attack air. I say it probably shouldn't as it would then overlap with the viking ias a capital ship killer. Give it 2 abilities. One to help it in the role of base cracker, maybe bombard and give it a negative buff ability. Maybe an anti air negative buff to support its anti air support troops.

Edit: P.S. my primary strategy was to concentrate heavily on air when using terran or protoss so I really want the terran air forces beefed up a bit. Viking good, BC good, Nomad good, Banshee with out aoe bad. no Predator/Valkarie very bad.

12. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    Agreed. The way it's headed right now tells me it might not be in the final version. The Blizzcon one was the best imo.

13. afterburner

afterburner New Member

As I recall, the argument was that the Thor overlapped too much with the role of the siege talks, which are defense crackers, for those of you that seem to have forgotten.

As it is now, terrans have a very good ground force that can be destroyed by Air to Ground attacks, and the Thor is there to prevent this in the LATE GAME, from other threatening late game units like carriers, colossi(which can be attacked by missile turrets an therefore the Thor) ...from the protoss and possibly guardians form the zerg

14. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    I was quite aware that Thors overlapped with the siege tanks, but they were much better back then than they are now. Besides they didn't even overlap that much. It was only their artillery ability that made it overlap. It was much weaker than a siege tank and it was even slower. It had extremely high health and armor, making it a tanker unit, not a base cracker.

The Vikings seem sufficient at taking care of air in the mid-late game. We really don't need a GTA unit like the Thor to help out. No one would guess they were a GTA unit either, from the model. It just doesn't work.

15. WuHT

WuHT New Member

1) Nuke = super unit.

2) Maybe thor's model should be a campagin ONLY unit. You can keep it all in it's glory if it'll make u sleep better at night

3)The much favoured role of Thor basically = slow floating engineering bay you use to set down when attacking .. coupled with a medicore attack. Happens to be built by SCV's too!

4)For thor to do better in it's popular ground-brick theme, we'd have to change a lot of terran identity. If you have money for a big massive unit, terrans have BATTLECRUISERS, which happen to be a capital flying machine. The zerg didnt' get a capital flyer in SC, so it's not a good argument that thors should be the terran "archon". If balance was just a different graphical unit we're back to Warcraft 2, which is a HUGE step back just to please some fans.

5)A super-goliath seems to upset fans, but if it's the right game unit then it'll be fine.

16. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

The Nuke is not a super-unit, for reasons I outlined in another thread. Basically, it takes a lot of time and effort to actually get one to drop. You have to build the Nuke, get into position, and protect your Ghost/avoid detection for a good ten seconds. Not to mention that being hit by one Nuke won't do so much damage that you'll be guaranteed to lose.

17. marcusrodrigues

Brazil
    Nor being hit by a Mothership or a Queen.. so I think it is all cool ;)

18. VodkaChill

VodkaChill New Member

Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    I see multiple post where people says that there should be a super unit for all race and that Terran does or does not have one.

If you think this game should have a symmetry between all 3 races and that all units should have their respective twin in the others army to make it fair, please feel free to play an awesome game that got acclaimed and prized called Warcraft 2.

For the other people that liked the Starcraft franchise that contains ''almost'' no symmetry between unit and perfect balance, please wait for Starcraft2.

We have Beta for balance and even when the game is out, like in SC original they will continue to make balance modification with patches.

Please remember the '' Omg Spawning pool is now 200mineral instead of 150 :O ''

19. marcusrodrigues

Brazil
    Totally agree :)

Terran = Humans = Destructive = Super Weapon of Mass Destruction (Nuke)
    Protoss = Powerfull technologic Aliens = Super Ship (Mother Ship)
    Zerg = Swarming Beasts = Super Nothing, but plenty of them :)

20. Exterranminator

Exterranminator New Member

Why the hell nobody of you noticed simple fact- that now terran just OWN the battlefield control, recoon and scouting with its radar dish+scaner?
    Terrans seems not being weak.