Warp Ray will replace Carrier?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by NotDeadYet, Jul 9, 2007.

Warp Ray will replace Carrier?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by NotDeadYet, Jul 9, 2007.

1. NotDeadYet

NotDeadYet New Member

From the Warp Ray article on the Starcraft 2 homepage:
    ...but we have already seen the Tempest, which is believed to be the new replacement carrier. Is this just a blunder by Blizzard, or an attempt to keep the Tempest secret? Or perhaps both the Tempest and Carrier will be present in Starcraft 2, with the Tempest being the "dark" version of the Carrier (Like Stalkers are the dark version of Immortals/Dragoons).

2. FlyingTiger

FlyingTiger New Member

CT
    No I think what they meant was it replaces the carrier as its flagship of the protoss fleet. Not replacing the carrier itself. The tempest already replaced the carrier. The statement just means that like the higher official (Judicator I suppose) will ride that unit.

3. ArchLimit

ArchLimit New Member

Wow, yea, it freaked me out to read that. I love the Tempest (gee, can you tell?) and would suck if it didn't make the cut for the final production.

That new video was supposedly a "leaked" video right? I'm curious to know how sure we are that they're gonna keep the units that were presented in there.

4. generalrievous

generalrievous New Member

aye it says replacement for a flagship for protoss leaders, I really liked how they did this update and the amount of detail and animation in it omgz :thumbup:

5. LimaBeanMage

LimaBeanMage New Member

The warp-ray seems like a funny replacement for the Protoss flagship. The previous flagship, carriers, were good against just about all targets, they were one of the most powerful Protoss units around. Likewise, the Terran flagship is a battle cruiser who is equally good against ground and air, with a huge cannon to boot.

The warp-ray is only effective against buildings/large ships and only in numbers. I would think that the mother-ship is the new flagship.

6. NotDeadYet

NotDeadYet New Member

The mothership is more like a flying citadel. Not really a warship.

As for the warp ray's firepower, well, a flagship is supposed to be big, scary, and strong, and not necessarily powerful against small things like infantry and fighters. The warp ray would be a decent flagship.

7. taz

taz New Member

i dont if any have noticed this but there's more than one voice recording in the description site! just keep clicking on the audio icon for bot pics (the one that shoes the warp ray and the one that shows it firing on a terren barracks)... sadly it doesn't play the audio recording for the warp ry when it gets "pissed" :p

ps. i checked the other available units already, and no, they dont have te same feature

8. generalrievous

generalrievous New Member

yeah they should add more dialog for the other units

9. CodyFallsForth

CodyFallsForth New Member

I think the warpray will be a must for late game.

10. Itsmyship

Itsmyship New Member

Where only cool people live... So Cal!
    Most definitely it'll be a must, it's the Protoss siege weapon, siege weapons are a must no matter what.

11. GuiMontag

GuiMontag New Member

carriers were just command ships with hangar bays for inteceptors. In the events of sc1 they found that interceptors were greatly effective and so decided to dedicate a special type of ship for them, end of story :p

12. Ych

Ych New Member

Yea, when Blizzard wrote that Warp Ray will likely replace the Carriers in the unit info, I was a bit surprised. If that is the case, I can't wait what they will say for the Tempest's unit info. Because IMO, Tempest seems more like a flagship than a Warp Ray.

13. opm

opm New Member

NYC
    so what happened to the adjudicators from the arbitor. some of the sounds of the warp ray sound similar. i wonder how this will be tied in.

14. paragon

paragon Guest

i've been saying this for a while.
    Tempest replaces the spirit of the carrier
    Warp Ray replaces the power/function of the carrier

15. DontHate

DontHate New Member

whoa... i have a question. In the banner i'm seeing right now, is that a warp ray? looks way too puny, but it might be a star relic. BTW this is the banner with the "short warp rays" and one pheonix. To the right there is a planet and a bright light.

16. paragon

paragon Guest

yes those are warp rays in that banner

17. DontHate

DontHate New Member

Whoa... they're much shorter than i expected. I guess that's just becuase they're not in attack mode.

18. Ghost

Ghost New Member

I am surprised they made the warp-ray a flagship. Well, it can own other flagships so warp-ray ftw ! :)