Warp Ray = Void Ray

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by lurkers_lurk, Sep 30, 2008.

?

Do you like the new name?

1. Yes

15 vote(s)
    48.4%
  2. No

16 vote(s)
    51.6%

Warp Ray = Void Ray

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by lurkers_lurk, Sep 30, 2008.

1. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    yes just like the title said. they got a name change.

and the only reason im posting in a new thread is because i couldnt find a thread devoted to just the Warp Rays, or anything close and recent about the protoss.

also im not making this as an article because, yet again, i dont feel like that this is front page worthy. so Jon if you make this an article, its your fault for thinking this as front page worthy, when we are just within 2 weeks from Blizzcon.

Warp Rays, also known as Void Rays now, are especially good against high hit point units, as well as buildings.

Often, the strategy that sees the most Void Ray use is against Zerg, using these units to do surprise attacks or joint attacks. Many Protoss players who scout Zerg players going mass ground units, will fast tech to Void Rays in hopes to catch them without anti-air capabilities. Void Rays are also great to do an attack on their base while you have a diversionary force distracting them in another place. 2-3 Warp Rays could take out a Hatchery much faster than say that equivalent in resources of Mutalisks.

http://www.battle.net/forums/thread.aspx?fn=sc2-general&t=1777051&s=blizzard&tmp=1#blizzard

2. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    I understand that you don't think it's newsworthy, but not poll worthy? :p

3. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    Meh. I'm not too happy about the change. I for one thought Warp Ray was just fine.

4. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    i like it, hopefully it will get a more dark templar look like it had after the tempest was changed.

5. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Yeah, I didn't think the Jackal/Hellion announcement was really news worthy either.

Anyway, Void Ray certainly does make a lot more sense now that it's a Dark unit. Warp Ray was good, and fit the unit perfectly, but using 'Void' definitely identifies it more solidly to the Dark Protoss than 'Warp' did. 'Warp' still did to an extent, but with 'Void' it's undeniably so.

About "the strategy that sees the most Void Ray use", it's been worded really strangely. It doesn't necessarily mean that Void Rays are most effective against Zerg, just that that's their most effective strategy. Seems like they're almost just trying to reassure fans that Void Rays can still be used against Zerg players.

6. WuHT

WuHT New Member

Warp Ray rolls off the tongue a lot more pleasantly than does Void Ray.

7. Jissé

Jissé New Member

Dublin
    Yes but it sounds more absolute, matching more with the science-fiction universe of the game and the guerilla style of the usual games, while "warp" is more for Warhammer 40K in my opinion, with some magic and dark gothic things, and gigantic battles.

Ahem, what is this unit by the way? Is this this new protoss scout? Not sure... :arghh:

8. VodkaChill

VodkaChill New Member

Montreal, Quebec, Canada
  9. Space Pirate Rojo

Space Pirate Rojo New Member

Canada, eh?
    I'm agreeing with WuHT.

Void Ray I find doesn't sound as pleasing to the ears.

Warp Ray you could say smoothly enough so it's like one word.

10. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Then try saying Voy Dray. :p Rolls off the tongue awesomely.

11. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    ... ... :laugh:

Nah, just kidding. To the point: Void Ray does indeed fit the unit much better then Warp Ray did, especialy since it didn't had anything to do with warping anyway. I used to think that the Phase Prism was the Warp Ray. (You know, the different "fases" of the ray and the warp-in you can use due to the power that a deplyed Phase Prism generates) This should prevent people from getting confused. Now we only need a "darker" unit design, (just with the colours) or some wiseguy starts to call it the Twilight Ray or something. ;)

12. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Void makes more sense than warp now that it's dark templar, but maybe they should change "ray" too? Sure, that one's definite, it makes absolute sense, but there might be other words that do that too, and in addition gives the name a better flow.

13. MarineCorp

MarineCorp New Member

England, United Kingdom
    'Void' sounds more like a dark templar word than 'Warp' :>

Since it was a unit that warp beams etc but void ray sounds more...dangerous in some sort of way since it is a dangerous unit

14. VodkaChill

VodkaChill New Member

Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    Vodka Ray would add taste.

15. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    I like the old name much better. I'm also adding a poll.

16. Jissé

Jissé New Member

Dublin
    Erf, of course, the official site... stupid me... :arghh:

That thing can fire while moving? Are you sure about this? Because that would mean that if the target is slower than this unit, and does not have enough firepower to get rid of it, correct me if I am wrong, but this unit is just doomed! :wacko:

If so, I think Blizzard should remember at some stage that they have two other races where they may sometimes drop some superheroes powers as well. The Protoss have the toughest units so far I noticed, so to give them a continuous and increasing-in-time damage ability makes not that much sense to me, and in addition to a unit that can simply chase its target while keeping damaging it, with no chance of possibly dodging a part of the attack, even if I admit that they suit the best for that laser/warp/whatever stuff...

17. VodkaChill

VodkaChill New Member

Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    The strength of the Warp/Void ray is that it build his power overtime. The more time he spends on shooting a target the stronger the damage per second will be.

Problem with this, it starts to fire a Ultralisk 800hp. Move the Ultralisk a few inch back, and the laser needs to start anew. The effectiveness of this tactic seems too easy to apply before some real damage can take place. Most probably they made it fire while moving so that people can see a real usefulness to this unit.

That's my take at it. 100% speed might be too fast thought, maybe 75% speed while firing.

18. Imagine.

Imagine. New Member

Why not get over the hurdles and name it the Protoss Giant Laser Beam? Just kidding. I believe Void Ray is much more fitting than Warp Ray because the whole purpose of the laser beam is to send the target to oblivion hence the void term. Warp Ray on the other hand sounded like it would teleport the enemy to a vacation spot in the Caribbean.

Come to think of it, it could have a much more menacing name.

19. VodkaChill

VodkaChill New Member

Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    They can't name it death ray right?

20. me555

me555 New Member

It pretty much is a death ray ^^, though it dosent have much to do with warping in a sense.
    I always thought the warp ray was a protoss version of a guardian. It does imply "Long range bombardment" on the official site.