Warp Ray Ability

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by hillzagold, Oct 21, 2007.

Warp Ray Ability

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by hillzagold, Oct 21, 2007.

1. hillzagold

hillzagold New Member

I'm sure you've all thought of this, but I'm the one who made the thread. HAHA.

Anyways, MATRIX WARP

You know what I mean, have all the Warp Rays connected to each other by an AOE laser.

Two Warp Rays means one laser, three Warp Rays means three lasers, 4 Warp Rays means 6 lasers, etc. etc.

This laser would do the damage and have the range of an ordinary laser. Wouldn't really be overpowered because you would have to position your Warp Rays to get a decent effect from it (I.E. surround them or such) and you would probably need it to be stationary for the laser netting to be in effect anyways.

There are plenty of options, but I was thinking that it could either be given to each one (energy or cooldown) and they would link to any other Warp Rays within range. Or you could have one Warp Ray 'transmit' a signal or all nearby Warp Rays to stop movement and laser link.

Also, Looptroop is win.

2. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    so you want them to do this?
    [img width=640 height=480]http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/8459/massattack.jpg[/img]

3. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    I think he means he wants a net of lasers connecting each warp ray, which would be really cool imo.

4. hillzagold

hillzagold New Member

[img width=640 height=479]http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g177/clouded_fate/Games/warpnet.jpg[/img]

moar liek dis

5. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    What exactly is that supposed to do if all of their energy is focused on other warp rays? is it suppoed to create an impassable barrier or something?

6. -LT-

-LT- New Member

Maybe it would be a good shield?

7. hillzagold

hillzagold New Member

It's meant to catch air units in the net. in the pic above, 9 warp rays were firing 30 or so lasers.

8. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

Eh... I don't so much dislike this idea as really like how the Warp Ray currently works. The attack does more damage the longer it is being fired, we don't need to combine rays.

9. hillzagold

hillzagold New Member

the each laser in the laser net will be as damaging as the current warp ray attack, with the same range too.

10. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    The catching air units sounds cool but I like the picture I showed better (species 8472 destroys a whole planet with 9 crappy ships BEAT THAT with your puny planet cracker)

11. hillzagold

hillzagold New Member

tassadar did that twice, biatch

12. Ace_Bear

Ace_Bear New Member

Meh it seems fine the way it was before. No need to go wierd Star Trek Voyager on us.

13. CaptainPicard

CaptainPicard New Member

Anyone see the Family guy Star Wars episode? Where the Imperial technicians see the giant planet-killing laser beam shoot by them, and then afterwards they're like, "so, did you get a load of the health insurance they're offering us now? I was like, man, all I want is a railing, just a railing, so I can lean back every now and then and not fall off this stupid platform. I mean, who designed this place?" Classic.

Maybe that's how it is inside the Warp Rays.

All these protoss ships are pretty gargantuan, you know--and those mystics floating around on the discs inside the Mother Ships, I mean, who pays the bills when they drink on the job and forget about all those days on the playground when whirling around in a circle meant you had to hold on or fly off?

::) ::) ::)

14. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    It would have to be an Air-to-Air thing, unless the Warp-Rays landed on the ground before doing it... Which gives me an idea!

What if Warp-Rays were able to land on the ground, and be used as static defense, still having the same style attack and being able to attack both air and ground units, it would basically be a Photon Cannon (or Phase Cannon I think they're called now) except designed to take out invading Capital Ships. It would obviously take time to land and raise and stuff, so you wouldn't be able to effectively do this while attacking, unless you lured them out of their base. I know what you're all thinking... If it is able to use the same attack as before, then why does it need to land and become static? Well, maybe the landed version could have more health, armor or shields? It would be similar to a Siege Tank's Siege Mode, where it becomes immovable but is still able to attack. Anyone like the idea? Or is it just crummy...

Back to the topic, I think Warp Rays work better with a single beam attacking a single enemy, not having a network of beams that sit there like a trip wires.

15. CaptainPicard

CaptainPicard New Member

You know, I REALLY like this idea!

I hope that the editor will allow you to change the pitch / roll / yaw of a unit arbitrarily, unlike WC3 where you were limited to what the terrain wanted to do except in a few special cases. If we could do that, then I could even use the editor to make the Warp Ray unit stand up straight into the air as it lands, then use triggers to "build up" a static foundation around it probably using the Phase Cannon model).

The advantage for landing the War Rays should, like the Terran siege tank, be an increase in range and power with a decrease in the acquisition time (with a continuous beam you can't really change the attack frequency).

16. Darth_Bane

Darth_Bane Moderator

Seattle, Washington USA
    Wow I really think your idea Hexgor and its sorta unique accept the staying in one place thing I think it should be able to become invisible if within range of a powersource thus increasing the vitality of Phase Prisms and making the Protoss more unique and it can still move but at a slow pace slower than that of the Reapers and NO THE RANG SHOULD NOT BE INCREASED! If anything it should be decreased! I meen it is on the freikin ground! Also it should requier 3 or more Warprays to make the defence. Like it? Any ways I think the multiple warpray lasers working together to stop or drastically slow down enemy movement but the idea of doing extra damage I want the regular one laser per warpray thank you.

17. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    No Tassadar burned the planet devoid of life. Chau Sara and Mar Sara are still there. Also I believe he had ALL of the ships uder his command cqarry out the order.

I mean BLOW UP as in detroy as in disintegrate as in DEATH STAR type gone from 9 ships.

18. MarineCorp

MarineCorp New Member

England, United Kingdom
    the warp ray is fine to me, very good for air counter attacks

19. DontHate

DontHate New Member

i dont think that could stop bullets or even missles.

20. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    I hope not. The Protoss are already powerful enough as it is.