warp gate how it works?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by xwarbringrx, Jul 13, 2007.

warp gate how it works?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by xwarbringrx, Jul 13, 2007.

1. xwarbringrx

xwarbringrx Guest

How does the warp gate works? i does it teleport alraedy built units into pylon power, or does it build it in the pylon power? How fast is it what are the requirements to do this warping? pretty wierd i think....

2. Ych

Ych New Member

From what we know so far, you need to upgrade your gateways into warpgates in order to warp units.
    Warping unit basically means building unit from the warpgates, but it can go anywhere within the Pylon range. It is not like recall, that you warp in units that are already made into Pylon range.

As for how long it takes to warp, that remains unknown.

3. Imagine.

Imagine. New Member

Do not question Protoss technology! But for your sake, here is the answer:

It creates a swirling rift that warps in Protoss warriors from their home territories to the location of the military colony housing the Gateway. A phenomenal amount of energy is required for this operation and, as with all Protoss structures, a Gateway can only function if it is powered by the psionic matrix formed by a network of Pylons. --- StarCraft Encyclopedia

Also the upgraded Gateway looks neat when it opens up a warp gate.

4. Gah345

Gah345 New Member

But if all you do is convert the gateway into a warp gate, then what would be the point of using the gateway mode? If you can warp the units anywhere, why settle for the gateway producing them at the building?

The warp gate must have some con when compared to the gateway. Maybe it is slower.

5. Dxun

Dxun New Member

I remember reading somewhere (i forget atm) that the warpgate will be able to hold 1 unit in a queue, and that until will be able to teleport into pylon power.

So in the long protoss demo there were 16 or so warpgates used to warp in those zealots, right before the big zergling swarm attacks..

if you watch the HUD you can see the buildings selected when he starts to warp them in

6. burkid

burkid New Member

you have to upgrade the gateway into a warpgate, so its everything that a gateway is, but also has warp in. its not like they change forms.

7. burkid

burkid New Member

i mean once its a warpgate it doesnt go back. it would be like devolving a hive into a lair.

8. Gah345

Gah345 New Member

im not sure if it is just a one way upgrade

I think it is an upgrade that gives you the ability to use warp gate, but you can switch back to gateway.

DXUN said that it can only queue one unit at a time, thats why in the demo, he needed 16 warp gates to make 16 units.

Thats what I think at least, but I see what you are saying, it seems like warp gate to gateway is a bit of a downgrade, thats why originally asked if the warp gate had some sort of con

9. burkid

burkid New Member

he needed 16 warpgates to warp in 16 units. that doesnt necessarily mean he couldnt have built them without warping in.

10. Gah345

Gah345 New Member

Well from what i am hearing the warp gate actually builds a unit and warps it into pylon power
    Maybe it transports already built ones too... i dunno

this is from the main site,
    "protoss forces moving through a gateway must emerge in close proximity to the structure, whereas those summoned via a warp gate can be projected to any part of the battlefield that lies within the psionic matrix"

it kinda points to the warp gate actually building them and they spawn somewhere you choose

11. burkid

burkid New Member

can does not mean does. it CAN be placed anywhere in the pylon power, but that does not mean it MUST be placed elsewhere.

12. Gah345

Gah345 New Member

ahhhhh i c what ur saying

but then what is that other guy Dxun saying about having only a single queue space?
    if that were true, then there might be reason to go back to the gateway form

13. burkid

burkid New Member

single queue space for warp in, not conventional building. anyways, this i just my theory, doesnt mean im right. doesnt mean hes right.

14. Gah345

Gah345 New Member

same here
    i could be wrong too, im just guessing

15. Gah345

Gah345 New Member

haha well

i think that the ability to warp far away makes up for the single queue spot aqnd then some

but remember it isnt necesarily true

16. Gah345

Gah345 New Member

howd u get a minus 1?

17. Dxun

Dxun New Member

Let me clarify, say during a game you make a gateway you build units and normally they spawn next to the building, now you upgrade it into a warpgate.

You still can build units and spawn them next to the building BUT you now have the option of storing a unit in the warpgate, which is then capable of being teleported into pylon power.

So for an example you have 4 warpgates you build and store 4 Stalkers, now you can continue building units normally and say attack someone... so now ( would be my strat) if your workers get raided by say some reapers, you can quickly select your warpgates warp them in and have units to defend the workers.

I like to think of it as units on standby.

Its a great mechanic, I cant wait until a demo is out and we get to mess around with it.

18. Gah345

Gah345 New Member

ohhhhhhhhhhhhh i get it

thanks for the clarification :powerup:

19. burkid

burkid New Member

Dxun that is exactly what i was trying to say :powerup:

20. Gah345

Gah345 New Member

i see what you were saying burkid

sry for the misunderstanding