Warp Gate and Gateway Clarification

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by wuffle, Jun 17, 2007.

Warp Gate and Gateway Clarification

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by wuffle, Jun 17, 2007.

1. wuffle

wuffle Member

Now I know about the whole upgrade your gateway into a Warp Gate and imba own with warp in. I saw in the video when the guy warped in an entire army onto pylon power. But what I am confused about is that from the description on the Starcraft 2 website, it looks like you build units and they pop up at their rally point. In other words, once they are done building, they will appear. This doesn't make sense however since the guy produces an army of zealots within a few seconds. So, it seems that they would just be transported by warp in. If that is the case then do they have to go somewhere to warp in or can they be warped in from any where in pylon power? In the video the guy just kind of clicked and they appeared. He didn't select them previously or really make any commands besides clicking where they would appear. Please clarify thisfor me. It would be greatly appreciated.

:powerup:

2. ZeiDjon

ZeiDjon New Member

They Explain it here... :

Functionally a warp gate is similar to a gateway in that both devices open a spatial rift. However, protoss forces moving through a gateway must emerge in close proximity to the structure, whereas those summoned via a warp gate can be projected to any part of the battlefield that lies within the psionic matrix.

ZeiDjon

3. paragon

paragon Guest

That doesn't answer his question at all.
    If you look at the gameplay video you will notice that before they warp in, the portrait changes to something that looks kind of like Guilty Spark from Halo and there are a 16 icons in the selection panel of what is probably Warp Gates (the same number as the number of Zealots warped in). Also, on the menu there are icons for three different units with the number 16 on them (Zealot, Stalker, Immortal). Once the units are warped in, the number changes to 0. It appears that there were 16 available to warp in because 16 Warp Gates were selected. Perhaps there is a way to have a unit on hold in a Warp Gate after it is finished being built and you can deploy it later using the warp in.

4. ZeiDjon

ZeiDjon New Member

Well i am understanding the way it works like this, you upgrade the gateway to a warpgate, when you build your Zealots or other unit, it has to be close to the Gateway/Warpgate and when you select the Gateway or Warpgate you can then teleport the units that are standing close to that Gateway/Warpgate that you have selected, anywhere within Pylon Power(or Phaseprism).

ZeiDjon

5. wuffle

wuffle Member

Lol Zel you got it wrong. The gateway upgrades into a Warp Gate. Then you are able to use warp in. Then they are saying about the close proximity is that when you build a unit it will spawn next to the building, whey are just making it sound cool.

6. PrivateJoker

PrivateJoker New Member

Well based on how advanced the engine looks, I am assuming that the Warp Gate can be upgraded to an even higher tier, enabling the Gate Ways to warp protoss units directly into my living room. Any of you guys here about this feature?

7. wuffle

wuffle Member

YEAH DUDE! I saw it in the leaked video! omfg dude I like talked to a Dark Teplar. AND HE WAS COOL ABOUT IT! I got his autograph on my SC2 game that he gave me. His name was like Zeratul or something. Is that guy a hero or something. Wow tho. I don't think I'm going to play this game now, I'm just going to cherish it forever.

8. Itsmyship

Itsmyship New Member

Where only cool people live... So Cal!
    *shrug* maybe you just gotta make em stand close to the gate or something then use warp in and it'll take the units in a certain radius, or maybe you'll be able to store units in the gate or something and then you click warp in and it takes the stored units *shrug* or maybe they just macroed :p

9. PrivateJoker

PrivateJoker New Member

I heard that if you teleport a Zealot into your living room, and give him wine he will take off his armor, and Protoss ARE SCAREY LOOKING UNDERNEATH IT ALL! :powerup:

10. paragon

paragon Guest

Or maybe I'm right

edit: How do you even have a power level PrivateJoker? Most of your posts are dumb.

11. PowerkickasS

PowerkickasS New Member

i think that was his worse attempt yet

12. wuffle

wuffle Member

Lol he isn't getting much of a following is he. Oh well I guess the Warp Gate will be explained in better detail later.

13. ZeiDjon

ZeiDjon New Member

What am i getting Wrong, you just repeted all that i said about the Warpgate....?

ZeiDjon

14. T-man

T-man New Member

The warp gates are used to move unproduced units into a psi field.
    Once Gateways are upgraded to Warp Gates, they get the ability to produce units anywhere on the psi field, there is just a very lengthy cool down between productions (I would assume equal to the normal build time). So you are not able to walk a force of already built units through a warp gate to anywhere there is psi, you must build the units to the psi.
    Only the Zerg currently have the ability to move armies (Nydus Canal/Worm).

15. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

I noticed that there seemed to be some confusion on how exactly Warp-In works for the Protoss in Starcraft II. However, a post by caves on the BattleNet forums seems to clear this up:

16. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    ninerman13 from my informations that just corectly!

17. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    his is the frst I heardabout the need to purchase an upgrad first. I was unde the assumption that it was pasively unlocked by tone of the tech buildings most likeley the core

18. Prodigal

Prodigal New Member

19. Meee

Meee New Member

Poland
    It may have been deleted because there is already thread about it (this one) and the information was also already posted (in this thread, on previous page).

20. Prodigal

Prodigal New Member

Well the thread I made was designed more like a news info link about a new developer post. However they are directly related.