warcraft...fun?

Discussion in 'Blizzard Forum' started by TerranGod, Jul 16, 2007.

warcraft...fun?

Discussion in 'Blizzard Forum' started by TerranGod, Jul 16, 2007.

1. TerranGod

TerranGod New Member

i never played warcraft before and my friends all say it sucks...
    good game or bad game?

2. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    terrible, just stick with SC.

3. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    oh yea, the campaigns actually were really good. I think the story was actually as good as or better than SC's.

4. MaliciouS

MaliciouS New Member

I bought WarCraft III ever since it was released in 2003, and I've got to tell you that I absolutely love the game. I still play it to this very day, in fact. It's true that the actual gameplay itself might not be good compared to that of StarCraft, but the custom maps will always keep you coming back for more. Furthermore, there's an interesting and fun campaign that spans all four races.

It's still an wonderful, and balanced game compared to all the other RTS games that get released around this time, it feautures some RPG elements that you may like or dislike. But I agree with lichking, it's not quite suited for competitive play as the items that drop from NPC's are random, and there's several abilities such as "Evasion" and "Critical Strike" which are based on plain luck. Nonetheless, the controls are much easier (such as sub-groups, autocast, smartcast, the ability to select multiple buildings, worker units automaticaly collect resources when the rally-point is placed at a goldmine/lumber patch, and much more.) some people complain that this takes the skill from the game, but I personally think most of these feautures only makes things a lot more comfortable.

It's not a pure competitive RTS like StarCraft, but it's still a great game that I recommend.

5. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

It's fun, but different. It's not huge scale battle like StarCraft (War III has a 90 food limit), so it's more skirmishy. And like the others said, its campaign modes are a blast. There's almost no distinction between Orcs and Humans in War II, but in War III, with the addition of Night Elves and the Scourge, and with tweaking done with the Humans and Orcs, you get rather diverse play styles. I think it's fun.

6. Dreadnought

Dreadnought New Member

Also note that its far more micro intesive than macro. Nearly every unit has an ability that must be microed.
    Heros make for fun RPG maps and stuff but for competitive play every strat is based around them making the game really repetitive. There really aren't any unique builds/strats you can go for in it. However its far better for custom games (DotA is a good example) and the campaigns are alot of fun.

7. GuiMontag

GuiMontag New Member

custom games is definitely what made wc3 so popular, coming from starcraft to wc3 mellee makes wc3 look painfully slow and frustrating :mad:

8. FlyingTiger

FlyingTiger New Member

CT
    yea i liked the campaigns of warcraft but never really got into the gameplay

9. TerranGod

TerranGod New Member

i dont think i will really like warcraft

10. Lemmy

Lemmy New Member

Well i can only tell you this: Download it. Or the demo. Try it. Thats the best way to know if you will like it.

11. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    actually, WC3 has a 100 food limit.

I think.

12. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

It's 90. Trust me on this.

13. Meloku

Meloku New Member

It is a very good game, if you can appreciate what it's about.

You have a single unit called your "hero" and the game is centered around him. It's a great game if you're into that kind of fantasy stuff.

14. SirBaron

SirBaron New Member

Warcraft is good in it's own ways, it's quite distinct from SC since it takes about 4000% more micro in WC3 melee games than it does in SC, but custom games rocks, especially with the hero system (DotA, as someone mentioned - great!) The Campaigns were okay, i guess... personally i've kind of broken off the Warcraft universe since i got all yuck'ish after nerding WoW for 2.5 years.

But it's a great game, i think you should definitely try it out and play some of the awesome custom games.

15. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    A word of warning tho, if you switch over to WC from SC immediately, you will be impatient. There's no superfast rushes equivalent to those of SC, such as the 6 ling rush, the Cannon rush, or the SCV rush. It's not a game for people bad with micro, either. If you're a superfast rusher or a total noob at micro, good luck playing WC, chances are you'll be bored/crappy.

16. danhillman693

danhillman693 Member

Warcraft 3 is only good, really, for the campaigns and the custom maps. If you enjoy playing "regular" bread and butter matches, just do it offline against a comp, because you are likely to get some lagger, and that is never good with Warcraft 3. Because Warcraft 3 is very slow. If you enjoy faster "regular" matches, I strongly suggest sticking with StarCraft. I'd suggest getting Warcraft 3 though, because it will expand your horizon on Blizzard RTS games.

17. burkid

burkid New Member

actually, you are both right. its 90 food in Reign of Chaos, but its 100 in Frozen Throne.

and Wlck742, the micro in WC3 is much easier than starcraft actually... especially with spells.

18. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    I dunno. I actually found it to be harder, even with the autocast, since there's so much units with spells.

19. JBL

JBL New Member

I totally vouch this reply

I initialy bought it for the campaigns only.. and then I discovered Dota.. Which is a very good map.

also, Trust Praetor Fenix about the food limit, he's right.

20. Dreadnought

Dreadnought New Member

I make maps on War3. Excellent at GUI but i know virtually no JASS. iPod[xDs] = account...
    Warcraft 3 custom games OWN (i guess i better mention dota lol). Starcraft is much much better for ladder games. Warcraft its easier to find ladder games though... If you love longer more micro intensive games play war3. If you like fast paced big armies SMASH play starcraft. Although again the custom games on war3 are amazing. The map editor is 5000x more powerfull than starcrafts..