Vikings are the best air units to use.

Discussion in 'Terran' started by StarcraftGod, Aug 5, 2010.

Vikings are the best air units to use.

Discussion in 'Terran' started by StarcraftGod, Aug 5, 2010.

1. StarcraftGod

StarcraftGod New Member

Early on in the game. Vikings are the best air units to produce.

They are quick.
    With defense upgrade and weapon upgrade, they are brutal in packs of 10
    you can transform to ground unit once the air is cleared.

truly genius unit a.k.a my fav

2. Arvendragon

Arvendragon Member

Canada
    My problem with them is that the transformation takes time, and they can only attack one type of target.
    Having a group ambushed by Stalkers/Hydralisks is extremely bad.

3. StarcraftGod

StarcraftGod New Member

by one type of unit, you mean air or defense right?
    best is to pair them up with medivacs that drop marines right below them...stimpack em

4. snowden0908

snowden0908 New Member

Chicago
    I respectfully disagree about them being the best air unit.

I concede that they are a very effective anti-air unit, but their inadequacy on the ground coupled with their limitation of being ground only or air only makes them less than stellar when compared to other units out there in the game.

I think that they are excellent at stopping other air units and providing slight harassment.

My personal favorite air unit in the game is probably the observer (those little guys rock! invisible, flying and, a detector!) But my personal favorite Terran air unit is the banshee, cloaked or uncloaked they do good damage, can be produced fairly early, and they mesh well with other Terran units. Plus they can harass better than Vikings since they do not have a long time consuming animation.

Although, I will also concede that in many longer games, vikings do become necessary at one time or another

5. Space Pirate Rojo

Space Pirate Rojo New Member

Canada, eh?
    Vikings are only good as an air unit/harass unit. I owe these guys a lot for sniping out Colossi and managing to sneak a few in a person's mineral lines then flying away at the first sight of retaliation.

With these in the air and tanks with marauders on the ground, you own the battlefield.

6. Makki

Makki Member

Denmark
    your right about that they are amasing when used for harassment (i know everything about that i hate getting harassed by them o_O)

7. asdf

asdf New Member

not nearly as good as mutas for harass though, since they're pretty slow.

8. StarcraftGod

StarcraftGod New Member

a mixture of vikings/banshees cloaked gets you rid of those siege tanks and vikings take care of air units around. The only issues is if opponent does an orbital scan in the area.....

9. Reasoner

Reasoner New Member

Or he gets marines and kills the vikings. Wouldn't be hard to scan shees....

10. StarcraftGod

StarcraftGod New Member

agreed
    most of the time if you got banshees the inexperienced player wont even know you can orbital scan......

btw this is hilarious: "4v4 : Platinum lol. I dunno how that happened."

Reasoner likes this.
  11. DREAD

DREAD New Member

Las Vegas
    Banshees work very well, especially with there cloak, usually i will have MM to create a diversion attack at the front of base then use banshees to sneak behind them and obliterate there econ. I only use vikings to protect the banshees from opponent air units

12. Reasoner

Reasoner New Member

Rofl, Yea, bronze in the rest but platinum for 4v4? Does not make sense to me :p Im usually in the middle skill it seems when I play with those platinum peeps though.

13. Caleum

Caleum Guest

I think a lot also comes down to who you get paired with.. during my placement matches, 2 out of the 5 matches I had people drop before they even started playing really... then won 2 out of the three where I had 4. Honestly though, some people are just idiots... For example, I was playing last night in a 4v4, and one of our opponents dropped right away, so they only had three. I warned my team mates though to be prepared for a rush attack, but what did they do... nothing! They rushed, and two of my allies literally had no forces whatsoever... (I was already up to building siege tanks by that point)

14. gwingetinkoq

gwingetinkoq New Member

Mutas > vikings dude srsly

15. fantom

fantom New Member

Vikings are powerful and a combination of vikings and marines often does the trick against battlecruisers.

Other Terran air units such as Banshee are better overall units though, IMO.

16. Kayhoff

Kayhoff New Member

I have found that as a harassment unit, Vikings are second to none. With as little as 5 vikings, you can fly behind the enemy base, drop down, and kill half his workers before he can do anything sensible.
    In fact, against Zerg, I make few things but vikings. They are excellent at overlord hunting, and en masse, I have found that they rip through most zerg ground units. Now bear in mind that I am only in gold league, and I recognize that this probably wouldn't work at a higher level of play.