Vehicle substitution for Thor

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Overling, Oct 31, 2007.

Vehicle substitution for Thor

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Overling, Oct 31, 2007.

1. Overling

Overling New Member

Ok, since everyone has got their attention to Thor's possibility of being cut, I might as well give it a shot!

I was talking with ItzaHexGor about the possibility of a new type of vehicle for the Terrans to exploit, and something came to my mind. It is this:

[img width=450 height=299]http://www.hobbylinc.com/gr/amt/amt38271.jpg[/img]

What it would differ from the Thor? Well, starting from the looks and ending in everything! It's role would be that of a support ranged firer.

How? Simple: it walks over the head of units, thus OCCUPYING THE SAME SPACE! It is useful for stacking Siege-tanks, and having it on top, as a cherry on top. lol It wouldn't be stoppable by defensive bunkering, but IT WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO GO INTER-TIER! Its tallness would enable same-space occupying, but as Terran's design isn't so advanced as Protoss, a machine like this would be CLUMSY as to not be able to climb cliffs without falling and crumbling. Thus, their pilots cannot do it. They're stuck in the same tier as they were built at.

Yes! It's huge size would also make it build able outside of factories or barracks, directly by SCVs. And inherit the slow-turning of the old Thor as well. Since Thor had 2 lasers when targeting Cobras, that sort of interaction of getting owned by turning too slowly will not change.

The good part is I don't think any RTS has yet implemented a vehicle like this, and since we are in space, Star-wars as a reference wouldn't hurt a soul. Comments?

EDIT: Its legs wouldn't be so stuck together, and wouldn't be that tall, just 'off-the ground' so it can walk over regular ground units, but pose as barrier to Colossi for instance.

And man, I SO would love to walk one of those things towards an enemy along with a terran army. lol

2. Patuljak

Patuljak New Member

Slovenia
    Hmm, a good idea, but I think that a heavy damage role would suit a big machine better. Thor wouldn't be half as awesome and fearsome if it was ment for support fire. It's a good idea, but I don't see it actually replacing the thor in that way. The idea of not being able to walk on any other tier doesn't seem logical either, I don't think that the terrans would design such a machine. After all, it could move up and down with two legs, so why give it four legs? But that doesn't mean I don't like it, I'm just pointing out what I think are the holes.
    Maybe it could be a sort of a mobile bunker? But with a trick that only 50% of attacks hit or that the damage the units inside deal is reduced to 50%, since it's hard to shoot out of a moving mech.
    I dunno, maybe that wouldn't work, but I don't really like the idea of a big mech giving support fire.

3. Overling

Overling New Member

It is bigger, thus, it can't stand on 2 legs. Human technology doesn't go that far, and that's why it can't move inter-tier. And Thor overlaps the Siege-tank exactly because of the way it damages, why make a replacement that is exactly the same???

Now, I said it was support fire, I didn't say how. If it's meant to support Siege-tanks, then it could be some anti-armored-aerial-units. Siege-tanks don't fire in the air, and Cobras have been changed. It doesn't have to be a small dmg unit. As I said, its behavior in dealing with aggressors would be the same as Thor's, as it would have 2 lasers equally. Just give it the Thor's guns, lol.

4. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

nah. thor will own that starwars 4 legged behemoth. plus

in reality.

MECH>TANKS. period

starcraft is 2400+ years in the future. MECH is the next best thing.

im sure UED has something similar to this. haha. well not as overwhelming as these mobile suits.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=Or17QKYRkog
    NOTE: gundam 00 is set in the year 2300+ way behind starcraft. =p ofcourse there are still tanks in gundam or any sci fi universe. ::)

so DONT cut the thor. 8)

i hope they will remove and change the lame reapers pistol. come on! 2400+ years and you give them pistols? #%$@&(. hahah. and i thought blizzard has already learned from starcraft 1 "unhigh tech" like concept. why pistols? why bullets? its NOT realluy that badass. come up with something better than pistols.

5. Heavyarms2050

Heavyarms2050 New Member

reason behind dual pistol is 1) to reduce weight and 2) They're mercenaries, they're badass like that

6. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

FUTURE mercenaries should have something else rather than dual pistols.

7. NateSMZ

NateSMZ New Member

It's a good idea... the purpose of the AT-AT in Star Wars is to provide heavy fire combined with cargo space...

It's hard for me to right now find a use for that in Starcraft... I'll think about it tho, it's a good source to pull inspiration from... but a ground transport doesn't seem very useful, tactically, with Starcraft... unless there was some other ability thrown in...

8. Broodling

Broodling New Member

Starcraft is only 500 years in the future, not 2400+.

9. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

its in the year 2400+

10. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    @Zeratul. Quit posting that same post in multiple topics. I have already said it is a stupid argument in another topic because it has no facts with it. You have just said what you think. I have already explained why the Reapers have dual pistols as well. You are just spamming this post over and over again, most probably for minerals.
    @Overling. I don't see what this unit can do that the Thor wouldn't be able to do. It is an extremely unoriginal idea, because it is taken directly from StarWars. The Thor can do everything that your idea would be able to do, plus it has the bombardment ability. Lastly, this idea simply doesn't suit the Terran. The Terran already have a lot of mechs or mech-like units in their army, so it appears to be a sort of a theme. Sorry, but I really don't think this is even an OK idea. It is unoriginal, and offers little different to what the Thor already has.

11. Overling

Overling New Member

What? You missed the exact thing that made me think about this: the ability to occupy the same space as other units, for being suspended up in the air.

Are you even reading the post or are you just looking at the picture??

12. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Don't accuse me of not reading the post, I've heard rumors of the Thor being able to walk over units to a certain extent. It still doesn't make it a good idea. It is still very unoriginal, and isn't StarCraft-ish. There is one particular reason why it is not StarCraft-ish... Because it is from StarWars!

13. Overling

Overling New Member

Then you should axe Dark templars, because they look like Jedis.

14. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Dark Templars are in no way related to Jedi's. The only thing they have in common is that the Dark Templar used to have a single energy beam that they used to attack. The Dark Templar rely on stealth and subtlety, where as a Jedi doesn't need any kind of invisible cloaking, and they can easily hold a position on their own. They are also able to manipulate object from a distance. They Jedi's never need to remain hidden, and are always very obvious to an opposing force. Dark Templar are, if anything, the opposite to a Jedi.

15. darkone

darkone Moderator

Mississippi
    i'm going to quote zeratul in order to defend my favorite unit

"though we strike at you from the shadows don't think that we lack the courage to stand in the light"

Itza you kind of made dt's sound like cowards and i just had to defend them

16. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    I didn't mean to imply that Dark Templar were cowards. It is just that they do rely on their Cloaking ability to survive. If they didn't have their ability to Cloak then they would be shot down almost instantly. They are not a unit that is able to stave off a whole army, like Jedi's are. They are subtle and pick off enemies one by one. If they find a team that doesn't have a Detector, then they wreak havoc. Both the Jedi and Dark Templar are both formidable melee opponents, but they are in no way similar.

17. darkone

darkone Moderator

Mississippi
    thank you i wasn't trying to be mean if it came off that way i'm sorry i was just defending my dts

18. Overling

Overling New Member

Well, mind-trick enables Jedis to walk by unnoticed, by diverting the attention of the enemies. Cloaking only mimics that. If you look at the final product, it's basically the same. Moving small objects wouldn't matter in a large battlefield, or better yet, be too complex to be implemented in a RTS. Can you imagine units throwing light sabers at you?

19. Meee

Meee New Member

Poland
    I thought I clicked link to a thread about some Thor substitute. Didn't know Jedi were vechicles. I'll be on my way...

20. Overling

Overling New Member

lol! We were arguing about whether a Star-wars 4legged walker would be a good alternative, for walking over the heads of other units and reinforcing their power without occupying the same space. But ItzaHexGore thinks it's too similar to Star-wars. I was just pointing out that DTs could have been too similar to Jedis as well.

Anyway, I prefer making Thor anti-air, as stated in another thread, now that Predator is gone.

EDIT: Here it is:
    http://www.starcraft2forum.org/forums/index.php?topic=3587.45