Upgrades for mothership?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by carlsjr11, Nov 5, 2007.

Upgrades for mothership?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by carlsjr11, Nov 5, 2007.

1. carlsjr11

carlsjr11 New Member

So blizzard released the mothership seems like a very good unit in sc2. but it almost seems a little 2 good

so u guess my question would be, dose anything think that there will be a cap on how many are made in 1 game? or will they cost to must to even make more than 3 or 4? and even so how much is it going to take to upgrade and get all the features of the mothership? seems like its going to be a costly unit :eek:

2. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    the mothership cost 300 minerals and 500 gas. i dont know the cost for the abilities, or even if you need to upgrade them at all( most likely they will be. ).

3. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

just remember that the mothership ait as powerful has he was before

4. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    OMG, this topic is going to be so interesting and overflowed with interesting ideas...
    Oh wait, there are already some great topic about this... ::)

Do a bit of reasearch before you post please. :thumbup:

And welcome to the forums by the way. ;)

5. Justicator

Justicator New Member

An idea for Mothership Upgrades

The Motherships are unlock by the Database/Psi Aurora/Protocol database. (One of this name must have the new bulding)
    The building is a energy core where on it four half prisms stands (as karo the indication) over it flies additional objects.
    In the building researches the Upgrades and abilities for the Motherships.
    Additional upgrades :

- Khaydarin Core – increase the maximum energy capacity of the Motherships
    - Null-Flux Reactor -increase the maximum shields capacity of the Motherships
    - Argus Prism- increase the colack field of the Motherships
    - Hexagon Film -This Hexagon Film provides an additional two points of armor for the plasma shields to the Motherships.

6. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    As for your ideas, you should do a bit of research before you post to.
    - A mothership already has a Khaydarin Core, that's what it says in the lore on the official site.
    - It probably already has a shield upgrade.
    - The cloak field ability sucks anyways and will probably be cut out of the final version of the game.
    - I really don't get the last one. protoss units don't even have armor... ??? Or do you mean they should have a higher shield level?

7. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Well the DT use the argus jewel so the energy upgrade could be an argus core or something.

Also think of the last one as Chitnious plating (gave ultras 2 extra armor) but for the MS shield.

8. Justicator

Justicator New Member

I apologize. Next time I will be more attentive.
    The hexagon film is a higher shield level.
    And have the Mothership a heal function ?

9. carlsjr11

carlsjr11 New Member

i dought it will have a healing function i mean it dose seem to be a powerfull unit and will most likely be very hard to kill

10. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Don't apologize, I'm not flaming you here or something, I only try to help. ;)
    And uhm, it doesn't have a healing function, none of the Protoss units have a healing function. Only their shields can regenerate.

But a custom upgrade for a higher shield level does sound good. The Mothership is really just a big, floating base, so engineering things from inside the ship sounds only logical. Other units can't do this. It adds even more uniqueness to the unit, I like that.

But I'm concerned about it being a little overpowered. However, if the extra shield force would lower it's offensive capabilities, it would be compensated. (something like: more power to the shields, less to spare for the weapons)

11. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    No AI don't think that reducing damage is good. As it stands it cant attack air and due to its power will be the first enemy targeted. As a super unit it will be in more peril since there is only one to worry about.

12. longlivefenix

longlivefenix New Member

im a firm advocate of more than one MS
    instead i think that there should be like 3 routes in which you can upgrade it

more dmg > less shields
    less shields > more dmg one of these

bigger cloaking field/bigger time bomb > less energy or w/e

the black hole ability > less dmg per attack

im kinda wavery about my ideas but i think that it should have the same mechanics as the battlecruiser
    more ups on more paths
    also i like the idea of compensation so you have to choose which one to get

13. eclipse

eclipse New Member

i still stand firm with having only one mothership. The current mothership does not seem to be as useful, as high templars stasis is almost as good as timebomb, and cloaking takes energy. I would prefer the arbiter in this case with its useful recall

14. longlivefenix

longlivefenix New Member

the ht has statis?
    ...thats weird...

i can't stand the mothership with cloaking
    why did they give it to the mothership!???!?!?!?!!!?!
    no one wants an expensive arbiter!
    or they could come up with a cheaper arbiter that has maybe a smaller cloak or no abilities

they should just keep the arbiter, drop cloak from the mothership, put black hole back to the MS and be happy

the black hole though should be weakened though so that it takes like the closest (idk 8) units
    also the fastest/biggest (other MSs) should be able to pull away from the black hole

thoughts?

15. Reaper87

Reaper87 New Member

I think it would have to be upgraded with its powers. It would be verrry costly though. :(

16. Hodl pu

Hodl pu New Member

Does any other unit have recall? I wouldn't mind it having recall.

Or how about an ability called "Dock Phoenix" where you can land phoenixes inside the Mothership. Protecting them inside the mother ship until you get to your destination. Or if you mother ship is ambushed by mutas, release the phoenixes. Maybe only like 2 or 4 only though...

17. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    The docking idea souds interesting, making the mothership basically a mobile air strip. Unfortunately, it souds too much like the carrier's interceptors. This could lead to even bigger overlaping issues between the MS and carrier. Chances are, one of them is going to get scrapped for the new air unit Blizzard designers are working on.

Also, I don't really see this idea appearing because of the axed floating starport since it allowed terran to station air units easily near opponents by building them/massing them near enemy bases relatively safely.

18. Rex

Rex New Member

Extra Mothership Ideas (Abilities, and Characteristic)

I was thinking, and I think these Ideas would be quite cool for the Mothership.

Temporary Observer: The Mothership is able to build a Tiny Observer like unit, that lasts 2 minutes (Has Hp). The unit can have a small view over an area, and when created they are created in pairs. Info why it lasts 2 minutes: Its run out of gas crashes ;D

Or

Force Field Detector: The Mothership gives off a Force Field that scans units (Detecting Invisible units). The force field can only go as far as the Mothership's sight of range.

Shuttle: The Mothership can carry units (2x the Phase Prism)

Quick Squad/Units:The Mothership should also be able to train ONE squad, and one time only. The Squad is 4 Zealots, 1 High Templar, and 1 Dark Templar. The build time should be 1 minute. I came up with this idea since the Mothership looks like a flying city. Maybe it is.

Sheild Regenerate: The sheild goes up as the Mana depletes, but can be stopped.

Recall/Worm Hole: A spinning hole that stays in an area for 30 seconds, any unit can move in or out (Enemy, Neutral, and Allie) and comes out where the Mothership is.

I'm also thinking of a Mothership Hero name, and design (Different looks, or added parts).

Please don't say my ideas are stupid, or dumb. I came up with these, and it wasn't easy. So if any abilities that can be added or substituted this would be nice.

In WC3 you could make abilities, so if its the same in SC2 I think I'm going to try to make my own unit, with these abilities.

19. Imagine.

Imagine. New Member

Birth:
    Mothership gives birth to two beautiful baby ships.

"Congratulations! It's equipped with a cannon!"
    "Pew. Pew. Pew"

Just kidding.

An interesting Mothership ability would be called Shockwave. It's an area of effect spell that reduces all units HP by 1/5 and reduces buildings HP by 1/5.

Shockwave: [ 100 MP ]
    A devastating spell of limited range, Shockwave is produced using the Mothership's massive energy core to offset the atmospheric pressure of a planet. The pressure waves are infused with Psionic energy. When generated the waves are so intense that they have been known to damage even the heaviest of armor plating and penetrate through the thickest energy shield.

The shockwave fires three times.

PROS:
    - Reduces all units HP by 1/5
    - Reduces all buildings HP by 1/5
    - Can be used while moving

CONS:
    - Damages friendly units
    - High energy cost/Cool down rate
    - Incapable of reducing HP below 30
    - Incapable of killing enemy units

20. Seradin

Seradin New Member

Aiur
    be kind of a cool animation to see the mothership build up a charge and then push all of its energy into the ground beneath it.