Upgrade or new pc?

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by teraformer, Feb 28, 2010.

Upgrade or new pc?

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by teraformer, Feb 28, 2010.

1. teraformer

teraformer New Member

kansas city, MO
    I am debating on upgrading my pc or just holding out for a new one.

My current is a Compaq SR1920 NX

AMD 64 3500 2.2 ghz

XP SP3

2 gb DDR (512 originally)

Nvidia 6150 256 mb

200 gb hard drive

Now I know I need a better graphics card. But will that be enough? I have asked a few people about upgrading the card to like an 8600 or a 9600. Half said that I have to check my power supply to see what I can handle. The other half said that since it has a PCI Express slot I can put whatever card I want in it and not to worry about the power supply.

I've tried looking up what my power is but the specs dont show it.

Getting a new one even a mid level pc or having one built is out of the question for now. So should I go ahead and upgrade the card? If so how good of one can I get?

Or should I just hold out for a new one?

2. AlexBlaze

AlexBlaze New Member

Hyperion's cantina.. *BURP*
    My advice is to buy a Nvidia 9600gt, very good price and performs very good, even with 2010 games, but be sure you have a pci expansion slot on your motherboard and a power supply of at least 550-600w (not the expensive ones), a no-name 600w power supply will be enough for sure. You will be able to run SC2 on 1280x1024 on high at least, if not ultra.

3. asdf

asdf New Member

don't bother buying anything until the game actually comes out. the game won't be out for a few months at least, and prices will be lower. your rig is ok, i'd recommend another gig of ram if you have the slots for it, and a video card upgrade.

4. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    You do know that 3 gigs of RAM is a bit of a stupid suggestion, right? If you want to expand 2 gigs, then put in another 2.

As for my opinion on upgrading or buying a new pc: I'd go for a new one. Because now you kinda have a very limited amount of memory, both RAM and HDD. If you upgrade your videocard, you most likely also need a new power supply, etc. It's so many upgrades that you might as well start over. And getting Windows 7 would also be a good idea, by the way. Gotta have the latest DirectX if you really want to enjoy what newer videocards have to offer. ^^

5. cautionmike_190

cautionmike_190 New Member

Philippines
    change your`e video card, that`s all i can say T_T

6. asdf

asdf New Member

windows XP is only capable of recognizing 3 gigs. if he puts in 4 only 3 will be used anyways.

7. Egocentric

Egocentric New Member

Romania
    I'd say you buy a new computer to meet the specs of 'todays' requirements overall.