Upgrade my Computer

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by Simbob, Aug 12, 2008.

Upgrade my Computer

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by Simbob, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Simbob

Simbob New Member

Australia
    So I was thinking of buying a new graphics card. I already have an 8500GT and was thinking of moving up. I know I'll need a larger power supply and a newer case so I can run it without it overheating. I was thinking of getting an ATI HD4870, 500w power supply and an Antec three hundred case. What do you think I should do?

2. Seradin

Seradin New Member

Aiur
    i would recommend the GTX 9800, 200$ on newegg.

3. PancakeChef

PancakeChef New Member

United States
    Depending on your computers architecture certain brands can work better and or differently than others.

I would recommend sticking with the same brand of card that you have already been using unless you are having quite a few problems with it.

I had a Nvidia and then upgraded to a ATI card once and problems I didn't have before on the Nvidia arose with programs on my computer with the ATI but then when I switched back to Nvidia the problem was virutally fixed.

Here is some advice, always make sure your upgrades are compbatile and are the best performance for your computer and never shell out the cash for the cutting edge or "bleeding" edge technology because you don't really need it run things at peak performance and by the time you do need those cutting edge parts the price will be much lower and the bugs worked out.

4. Shadow[E]

Shadow[E] Moderator

Mass
    "Dont Fix Whats Already Fixed"

That being said, IF you have great experiences with nVidia, stay with nVidia. However, compare the two cards to decide. I personally am not to happy with ATI HD series, only becuase My card kept locking up my system, computer and crashing it. Not happy at all with ATi. But I still use ATi, just older versions.

Anyways, Compare the two, not just specs, but overall performance. It also depends on your MoBo and Your CPU/RAM. get something that makes the card meet in the middle with the two.

5. Simbob

Simbob New Member

Australia
    So I should not get an ATi HD4870? I have a friend who is always harping on at me about how good they are. But yeah maybe I should get a 9800 GTX... or maybe even a 9800 GX2..

So I think I will stick with nVidia. But I wasn't planning on upgrading 'till the end of the year... Christmas. :D So I guess I have time to think it over.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  6. Shadow[E]

Shadow[E] Moderator

Mass
    Dont get me wrong, i love ati, but the HD series shook my faith in them.

7. joester3

joester3 New Member

Nvidia GTX 9800 is a very good card. I've got one for my system, and its worth the money. If not, the Nvidia GTX 9600 is a very good alternative. basically the same as an 8800 but, better price. Make sure you get plenty of fans, though, cause they do tend to get hot.

8. Shadow[E]

Shadow[E] Moderator

Mass
    Joester is correct, I agree with him 99.9 percent. .01% cause ATi > Nvidia

9. joester3

joester3 New Member

Meh, I prefer Nvidia over Ati. Ati is pretty expensive for a good card, also, i wouldn't recommend using one if you don't have experience with ati. Best bet for you would be nvidia.

10. ausaf

ausaf Guest