Unit Upgrades

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Skyblades, Mar 23, 2008.

?

Which Protoss Upgrade seems best?

1. Turret Zealot

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Tears Of Death Zealot

50.0%
  3. Zealot Mass Transplanting

50.0%
  4. Deadly Space Chicken Cannon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Your Mom Battle Armor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

Unit Upgrades

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Skyblades, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Skyblades

Skyblades New Member

Aerro Supreme Capital
    Several (lots) of ideas for our Protoss Units.

Zealot Turret: Upgrade individual Zealots to have the ability to lock into the ground, diverting movement energy into their blades. They aim their psyblades, and they fire the blade long distance to deal a fair amount of damage. When encountering large numbers of units, the damage lowers, but the fire rate increases. If you combine several (three or more) of these Turret Zealots, the fire rate and damage is increased.

2. Zurgery

Zurgery New Member

Sounds more like something the Zerg would do(Lurker) rather then the Protoss, or more specificly Zealots. Cause we all know Zealots love to get close and personal with their psi blades, and then come home and brag for the lady protoss about their strenght and bravados.

3. Skyblades

Skyblades New Member

Aerro Supreme Capital
    Another Zealot upgrade: This is a upgrade that cannot be used on Turret Zealots.

Tears Of Death(TOD): When the TOD is around many other Zealots (not turrets) and they are heavily wounded, your TOD will absorb their psionic life force when you activate its power. Since it has more energy than their body can contain, they explode into a large burst of blades, killing the enemies around you. Useful when the Zerg are swarming you with many more enemies than you expected.

Noting what you said, Turret Zealots are able to move around, but much more slowly when in Turret Mode. This merely allows players to be able to stop air attacks when they have only Zealots on the front line. Combined with Observers, they are rather dangerous.

Merged posts. Please read the forum rules and do not double post.

4. Seradin

Seradin New Member

Aiur
    So basically a "I Win Button" for the protoss, early game of course.

5. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

Welcome to the forums, Skyblades. However, you might want to read the rules - for instance no double posting.

As far as your ideas go, I don't particularly like any of them to be honest. They would completely change the role of the Protoss Zealot and make it much more well rounded. Zealots lack of anti-air and a ranged attack are their primary weaknesses; otherwise they'd be too good.

6. Skyblades

Skyblades New Member

Aerro Supreme Capital
    Look, the upgrade is only meant to be used when you have a lot of resources but you are under attack (only one TOD at a time, and requires a LOT of research) Turrets can be killed in less than a second when you can attack it, since their shields are heavily lowered. The very long range of fire makes up for that. (By the way, how did i double post? I dont know what that may mean) Siege Tanks can kill a Turret in one shot, and so Turret Zealots are only good for emergency base defense or to hold a position for a short time so that your other forces can stop the enemy from getting too far. The Tears of Death are as good as throwing dung at a wall when against Terrans, since their forces are made to take damage, and the attack takes a few seconds to actually charge, so the Zealot Who Was Upgraded Into A Tears Of Death Warrior becomes That Guy Who Died Really Fast Against Marines And Killed All His Fellow Soldiers For No Gain. That was my original view of them, since these units do take a chunk out of your resources.

7. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

Double posting is when you post something, and then post again immediately afterwards (before somebody else posts), as you did earlier in this thread. In this forum, we prefer that you just edit your original post if you want to add something and nobody has replied yet.

Back to your idea, I just can't see Zealots A) being suicidal or B) projecting their psi blades from afar. I just don't think it'd make sense lore-wise, nor work game-wise.

Keep posting your ideas though - this forum is for discussion. I'm not trying to shoot you down, I just don't like this particular idea.

8. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Rofl tears of death.

If you want ranged units make Stalkers. Problem solved.

9. Laz

Laz New Member

Its perfect!

Ya those abilitys not only wouldnt work but this is starcraft not warcraft.

10. Skyblades

Skyblades New Member

Aerro Supreme Capital
    Not a problem, pal. I was merely weakening them a bit, so that there can be a chance for players to actually retaliate. This would merely be a multiplayer option, because we all know that the Protoss wouldn't stray so far from their old lifestyle. This would merely be options that a Protoss Player could use against the Zerg, since Collossi are not the best options.

The Final Stand upgrade: After researching this, all Zealots that have taken damage are slowly transformed by nearby Pylons into Dragoons (Immortal or otherwise)

11. Laz

Laz New Member

Actually to be fair against what you said. The protoss are changing their whole way of life and beliefs. There old lifestyle is gone and they understand that. Take the callouses for example. It was banned from being created but now they understand they need it back.

12. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

HAHAHHAHA did you mean Colossus?

A callus is a blister-like hardening you can get on your hands/feet when being rough with them!

13. Laz

Laz New Member

Lmao ya thats what i meant hahaha. I just used the spell check real fast and posted.

14. Skyblades

Skyblades New Member

Aerro Supreme Capital
    True. With the help of my (modest) art skills, I am trying to make a version of the Turret Zealot on loose leaf paper. Back to the point, the Protoss would probably try making lots of these as Zerg slowing forces, since their stronger warriors would do whatever they could to help slow the Swarm. By sending their workers to warp the upgrade pieces onto the Zealot, the Templar sect of the Protoss society would have a new long-range weapon, capable of shooting down targets who were unable to fire due to how far away they were. These Zealots are not able to easily move, but can be transported via pylon power or crystal transport.

btw, I was wondering "What the bleepity bleep does Laz mean by Callouses?"

Perhaps the protoss were trying to make foot cream.

Edit:

New Uprgrade- Carrier Cannon
    Take your Carrier, and upgrade it with some workers. Use the Cannon Ability on a strong, single enemy. Every robot attack ship in the Carrier is fired at lightning speed at the enemy, and attacks them at four times normal speed.

15. Smokiehunter

Smokiehunter New Member

Sad to say it's starting to look like the protos are done with new additions. blizz is of course going to focus now on the brand new zerg. I'm not saying tweaks to animations and balancing aren't going to happen but it looks like blizz has made the core of the protos build and now can focus on the other two less developed races.

16. Tankman131

Tankman131 Guest

the protoss looks great right now...

and a turret zealot would suxor even if it could shoot, the point of a zealot is a fast moving support army. + the phase cannon is the turret.

sorry but your ideas are bad

P.S. the idea of multiple units strengthening the attack come straight from the RED ALERT Prism towers attack type

17. Skyblades

Skyblades New Member

Aerro Supreme Capital
    Yes........Consider this. Looking at Zerg/Protoss, you notice that the once high quality units have been weakened, ruining the 'quality, not quantity' beliefs of the Protoss. In a basic sense, Blizzard Entertainment (what the hell is that supposed to mean) is not done with the Protoss, but they want to make the Zerg look overly kickass.

18. Smokiehunter

Smokiehunter New Member

maybe for the moment zerg are a little imba but that is just because they want the their reveal to be big and hyped up. don't we all remember the super unit MS, were has her invincibility gone.

19. Skyblades

Skyblades New Member

Aerro Supreme Capital
    That's a good point. Still, at least something could be given to Protoss players so that they can hold off such large numbers. Blizz has nerfed the Protoss quality, and at least they could allow a unit to be modified into a turret unit. This can at least give Zerg players something to fear when they try to attack with their larger armies.

They should do that quick, before they give Ghosts any more psychic powers. And before they make the Zerg have super long range Hydralisks. Imagine that the Protoss base is ready to send their forces, and suddenly everything is under attack by acid bursts and spines from far away. Game Over.

Consider this: When a group of Zealots are on the move, a Siege Tank group will kill them quickly. If the Protoss forward is still in need of some Photon Cannons, and ten Siege Tanks are rolling in, you might want something to hold them off before they are in firing range.

With my idea for a suicide Zealot, the "boom" (imagine that boom is said in a baby voice) is only effective against mass numbers of small units, because several Ultralisks will merely be weakened, since the damage is spread out over the enemy.

Also, if you have a massive number of Zealots and you want to find the Ai's Ghost (who will probably hide somewhere when the computer loses most of its options), all you have to do is fill the area with ToD units, and blow them all. Even with the extremely weak explosion made without other life forces to drain from, your ghost problem is pretty much dealt with.

20. DontHate

DontHate New Member

It'd be nice if you could put all the ideas in the original post, and label them. I'm not sure what the hell the last two options are. If you're trying to be funny and label them differently, it really isn't and it's just confusing.

Ok anyways, your ideas aren't too good in my opinion. They basically turn the zealot into a siege tank and a baneling, which sound imbalaced or useless. The zealot has a charge abilty right now, and that's basically all it needs because the zealot is an infantry fighter, not an anti air unit or an anti building unit or anything else. It just crosses roles and sounds silly. I'm not sure what happened to the zealots turning into dragoon ability or the carrier cannon, becuase theyr'e not in the vote. The zealots turning into dragoons(or stalkers) is kind of cheap, because zealots are cheaper than them, and most players would just do it for the sake of stalkers and not for the accual lore. Also, the dark templar go into stalkers, not zealots. If you want zealots to turn into immortals, that would be way too imba. The carrier cannon is also basically yamato and unnecessary.