Unit Redesigns

Discussion in 'Graphics, Wallpaper, Fanart, Signatures, etc' started by ArchLimit, Aug 20, 2007.

?

Two Options available per unit; Please choose your preference for each

1. Existing Cobra

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Cobra Redesign

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Colossus Beam (Red)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Colossus Beam (Blue)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Reaper Dual Pistols

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Reaper/Firebat Cross

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

Unit Redesigns

1. ArchLimit

ArchLimit New Member

PLEASE NOTE: Some image errors have occurred to high bandwidth problems at Imageshack. "Dropped" images will be reposted as attachments. They won't show up on the front page anymore unfortunately but they're still there after you click on the post. Thanks :)

Hi everyone. Alright, a few of you might have known that I've been busy cranking away at a little project these last couple of days. The project is one in which I would "redesign" certain things that have come up from posts and threads regarding aspects that could be changed to a certain unit.

I'm not really claiming that any of these to be "better" than anything Blizzard has created so far, for as I've said, these are mostly based off of your opinions that I've read as verbal descriptions and not necessarily "what I think is better."

So here goes:

1. The Cobra. There have been a few complaints regarding this unit, mostly of which is more about movement/attack specs and not so much the design. This is more of my own thing in that I think the Cobra seen so far looks a little "thin." Keeping under a polycount of 600, I sort of recreated it based on less of a saturated feel (as many people seem to not like about SC2 as it looks too cartoony) and made it a little "thicker looking".

[img width=225 height=225]http://tinyurl.com/28576q[/img]

2. The Blue beam for the Colossus. I personally can't decide which one is better, blue or red; but probably leaning towards blue. The red in the demo is done better, laser + model included, but mine is more just for a visual "idea." Please don't pay attention to the crummy model/lack of electricity laser :D. Anyway, now y'all get to see what a pair of blue lasers look on this bad boy. I personally think blue lasers possess a bit more of an "alien" look, as most of our earthly lasers are red.

[img width=225 height=225]http://www.starcraft2forum.org/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=2125.0;attach=910;image[/img]

3. Aaaand, I've heard a LOT about the Firebat/Reaper deal. So this one's pretty self explanatory. A flame-throwin' Reaper. My skillzors with fire isn't that good yet, so I'm sure Blizzard could pull off a cooler lookin' fiery blast of death 'n destruction, but this is gonna hafta do for now. I kinda like it; my only problem with it is with physics/coherency since this guy should probably roast between all that fire surrounding him, or his gas tank should just be used up in about 2 seconds flat between cliff jumping and blasting, lol. But visually works pretty well.

[img width=200 height=200]http://tinyurl.com/ytwrsy[/img]

Image of original units:

[img width=589 height=274]http://tinyurl.com/2hphh8[/img]

*SPECIAL NOTE* Please understand that the quality of these images may vary significantly in game as I was not under the confines of a game engine. I tried to keep to a low poly budget to keep it fairly feasible, so please judge not on quality of rendering but more on the overall feel/look. Thanks.

Okay folks, this is just for fun if nothing else; I welcome all feedback 'n comments negative or positive as long as it's honest. I'm gettin' back to school fairly soon and won't be able to provide as much work as I can now; but here's some fun while it's here :)

*EDIT* Haha, thanks for bumpin' it to the front page, sc2forums. It sooo tickles my fancy, lol.

2. Lemmy

Lemmy New Member

Re: Poll: Unit Redesigns (Vry Image Heavy)

Hmm your cobra design is much better than blizzards. Blizzards cobra has a lot of useless flaps and shings that should be removed. The blue laser looks cool, but id rather have it teal. Yours is more teal than blue but completely teal lasers would be great.
    Finally, the reaper is good as it is. If someone added a flamethrower to it it would be far too deadly for workers. Leave it with a pistol, or giver uzis to him.

BTW cool animations, you sure got a lot of free time.

3. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast

Love what you've done with the cobra, it looks so much better.

I've always thought Blizzard was gonna go with the flamethrower attack/upgrade for reapers ever since the leaked vid, but I don't know why we didn't see it at BlizzCon. Either way, I like the reaper having the flamethrower attack, to further distinguish it from the marine.

I couldn't really decide on the colossus, whether to go red or blue. I think blue heat lance looks hella nice, but I ended up voting red because I think it would be better for the warp ray and colossus to have different colored beams, to make it more easily distinguishable visually in-game.

Good job as always ArchLimit.

4. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL

Wow.

This is pretty damn amazing.

My favorite by far is the Reaper, but that's just because I originally suggested it (though not a novel idea by far) on the Reaper/Firebat thread.

The Cobra I never really had an opinion on since I'll only be destroying it anyway, but your model looks far better. Cleaner, less frilly unnecessary crap.

Your Colossus is beastly. No other word for it. Beastly. I vote blue lazzzzeeerssss :D
    :powerup:

5. Sagathox

Sagathox New Member

You have far surpased my expectatives, i love all the designs, the blue laser looks cool, damn man, so you can make any unit in the game? why not trying to make your own units! the cobra looks cool also very nice job!

6. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL

Yea... he's pretty much the sh*t.

7. Meloku

Meloku New Member

Nice work! You did a good job with this, I wish I was talented enough to do that, I'd apply for blizzard like THAT *smashes keyboard with 2 fists*

8. [LightMare]

[LightMare] New Member

i strongly disagree. i prefer the red laser myself. it adds uniqueness to the unit, not making it...

RATHER have it change with each color. just like the pylons and warp blades of zealots, why not have the laser change colors?
    great work btw. i wish i had the software and skills.

9. ArchLimit

ArchLimit New Member

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Lightmare, there seems to be a big gap in the middle of u'r post. Was this intentional or no? I'd like to see what else you had to say if there was anything. Thanks!

10. Protosscommander

Protosscommander New Member

Wow nice job Archlimit, thats why i loved ya, note im not a gay hehehe just joking well, you are a Animated master.

here is for ya :powerup:

11. Frost

Frost New Member

Love them, amazing job as always. Now Model some zerg for me dammit! Remy will back me up.

12. Waller_Baer

Waller_Baer New Member

I like ur cobra re-design
    blizzard's cobra looks like shiny origami, way too paper thin

i vote blue laser
    i still dont like how the colossus has all its blue lights inside but fires off orange/red

i guess the reapers' flamethrower upgrade from that one vid is gone now?

13. ArchLimit

ArchLimit New Member

Baaaah, I was like this [--] close to doing my take on a cool Ultralisk, but got impatient 'n lazy. Fiiiiine, I guess I'll get on it :p

14. string_me_along

string_me_along New Member

Holy. Crap.

You certainly do have a way with graphics, ArchLimit! Having seen the blue lasers, I now agree that the blue lasers look better than the red ones. Absolutely amazing. Clearly a :powerup: sort of thing :)

15. Daduffian

Daduffian New Member

I'm kinda indifferent on the other 2, but new cobra is awesome. Keep up the good work; I hope Blizzard switches to a design more like yours.

16. paragon

paragon Guest

Your models do look good. However, I honestly like the Blizzard ones/ideas better. I think dual pistols are better weapons for the Reaper. I prefer the red thermal lances because it gives a nice variety to the protoss weapons. And I think the Blizzard Cobra has a more imposing look while yours looks more civilian. I do have issues with the Blizzard Cobra though.

17. MobileInfantry

MobileInfantry New Member

Wow! nicely done ArchLimit, the redesigned Cobra looks so much better than the old one. When the guy said the Cobras were using their "powerful" rail guns to take gown the Thor the beam was so tiny and the barrel wasn't that big either. This new redesigned has twin mounted rail guns half its own size, now thats gotta hurt. The Colossus beam being blue isn't working for me though it reminds me too much of a weak fire or liquid nitrogen. So for me its Blue=Cold/Weak Fire and Red=Flaming Hot/Searing Blaze. Though it would be awesome if Colossus shot out beams of liquid nitrogen, hehe jsut seeing them unleash the beams and the smoke clearing up, just to see frozen units and pieces. Also the Colossus lasers being the same color as their player color would be awesome but seriously blinding. Imagine 8 players duking it out with Colossi you probably have to wear sunglasses or something because seeing so many bright multi colored lasers everywhere. As for the reaper/firebat im not so sure, I'm sticking with the pistols unless they have some sort of upgrade like the battlecruisers and their yamato/plasma.

18. Goliath Online

Goliath Online New Member

Wow, nice!

reapers with flamethrower ftw, personally i hate the dual pistols idea

19. Sagathox

Sagathox New Member

Hell yeahhh animate a fight between an archon and an ultralisk!, how about making a siege tank transform? of curse with your own style of the tank

20. ArchLimit

ArchLimit New Member

Bahhh, it's like you guys are reading my mind. I'm actually doing a siege tank right now. I haven't seen the new Siege tank in action and I'm honestly still a tad bit not fulfilled with the new design just based on pure visuals though it DEFINITELY an improvement from the demo version. And my next sig was gonna be an ultra vs. archon...

...*sigh* y'all know me too well