Ultralisk?

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by abomination21, Oct 6, 2007.

?

Does the zerg ultralisk needs a new metamorphosis????

1. Yes

50.0%
  2. No

25.0%
  3. give me messages and ideas

25.0%

Ultralisk?

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by abomination21, Oct 6, 2007.

1. i'm thinking of a new melee-type of unit that can withstand a lot of damage ;D( inspired of anubarak from warcraftIII) ;D

2. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    It does its job of tanking just fine. I can see no room or need for improvements

3. ShdwyTemplar

ShdwyTemplar New Member

Tacoma, Washington
    The Ultralisk is symbolic of the crude and untamed spirit of the Zerg in a tanking form. It performs its purpose very well and I think that making a new unit would not make sense. Its all a matter of why? Why fix whats not broken?

4. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    You said you want to see a melee-type unit that can withstand a lot of damage... But that is the Ultralisk, Zerg doesn't need a new unit like that. No point in having 2 different units that serve the same purpose.

5. kraft

kraft New Member

The Ultralisk is already big, what another mutation you want? They are big, strong, fast, the only weakness is the air units, but I like that this...

6. -LT-

-LT- New Member

They are good as they are. They don't need to be stronger. Do we know are they
    back in StarCraft2?

7. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    no, we dont know for sure, but i read somewhere that blizz kinda likes the ultralisk and think its a little symbolic for zerg, they gave a few hints that they are making it return.

8. -LT-

-LT- New Member

I never really used it. :p But I would like it to come back.

9. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

if it returns they sjould call it the uberlisk

10. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    No

11. Overling

Overling New Member

Well, at least there should be a flying version of the Ultralisk. If ground gets a tanker, air could have one too. Why not vary the strategy for everyone? Or... give Guardians a melee atk and bigger armor/HP. But a specialized tanker would be better.

12. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    In my opinion, air tanks wouldn't really suit StarCraft. Let the Ultralisk keep its feet on the ground, and I hope that they don't change it much from how it was in the original StarCraft1 and BroodWar.

13. Overling

Overling New Member

Why not? BCs and Carriers are major tanks. And Carrier's interceptors fulfill the role of swarming. Protoss have both. Terrans have to rely on Vikings when uncentering the enemy fire into 1 strong unit, which is worse than Interceptors or Scourges.
    It's sort of like this:

Tanking:
    Carrier>BC>>>>>>>Guardian/Devourer

Swarming:
    Scourges>Interceptors>>>>>>>Vikings

There are both types of strategy for everyone, with weaknesses and strengths.

14. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

the ultralisk don't need to get bigger

15. Hodl pu

Hodl pu New Member

Perhaps some attack improvements. But ulralisks serve a unique role, they're good mainly as they are.

16. DontHate

DontHate New Member

in sc1 the ultralisk was not worth the recourses. it had a low damage attack and a slow one at that. If it is cheaper or it's made more powerful then it will probably be used more often. I'm not saying it's a bad unit and it's useless, in fact it's quite useful to a zerg, i'm just saying it needs a little tweaking.

17. Quanta

Quanta New Member

Well this is a bit of the same argument I just made in the guardian thread so but I'll make it again.

Assuming the drone and overlord return we know of 5 Zerg units that will return for sure. The Terran and Protoss have 7 and 6 units returning respectively. So the Zerg probably won't have more than 6 or 7 units returning either which means at most only 2 more of thier old units will return.

My point is that the ultralisk might not even return. Which would be perfectly fine with me. I really didn't even like the ultralisk that much. In my opinion it should be replaced. I don't want to see the ultralisk and the a metamorphasis of the ultralisk. I want something completely new.

18. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    If they got rid of the ultra then they would need a new unit to tank for them. I figure ultras are good enough at their job that there is no need to replace them

19. NateSMZ

NateSMZ New Member

Give the Ultralisk a "Stampede" upgrade ability that knocks units backwards and/or heavily damages buildings and call it a day.

20. Quanta

Quanta New Member

All of the units from SC1 were good enough; that is why the game was balanced. However, the point of SC2 is to change things up. The dragoon didn't need to be replaced, it did its job very very well. However, it was replaced so that there is a new dynamic. The same could be said for most of the units replaced.

Also, why do the Zerg need a tank in SC2? The needed one in SC1 but that was SC1. They might give the Zerg a new mechanic so that they don't even need tanking units. My point is that there are going to be changes to the Zerg and since Blizzard does not want to mess with the number of units to much it means many old units will be replaced. We know a large number of the Zerg units that are sure to return so there are only a few slots left for old units.

The ultralisk has a very high chance of not returning and this isn't a bad thing. There is no real need to replace the ultralisk but there really isn't a reason not to. Afterall, how boring would it be if, after all the changes to Protoss and Terran, the Zerg came back hardly changed.