Twilight Archon Revealed @ starcraft2.com + Fate of the Soul Hunter

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by FlyingTiger, Jul 19, 2007.

Twilight Archon Revealed @ starcraft2.com + Fate of the Soul Hunter

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by FlyingTiger, Jul 19, 2007.

1. FlyingTiger

FlyingTiger New Member

CT
    [img width=600 height=262]http://www.starcraft2forum.org/gallery/335_19_07_07_12_00_24.jpg[/img]​

[img width=150 height=182]http://www.starcraft2forum.org/gallery/335_19_07_07_11_36_29.jpg[/img]

The page shows two animations. One shows the twilight archon walking and the other shows them killing marines with ease. A screenshot, an artwork of the twilight archon, and the wireframe are also included. Enjoy. ^_^

Something just came out on battle.net posted by Dustin Bowder. It looks like the Soul Hunter is going to be gone.

Related Links

Starcraft 2 Twilight Archon Page
    "Unit Training Camp" - Regarding the Soul Hunter

2. ArchLimit

ArchLimit New Member

Re: Twilight Archon Revealed @ starcraft2.com!

So maybe I'm just kinda stupid but I'm still not too entirely sure what this means. Will the Twilight Archon have different abilities based on the combinations of different merges or no?

Or is it just a regular Archon? I wouldn't think so because they say that "their" devastating Psionic Storms 'n what not, so it looks like they have some kind of ability.

It'd be sweet if they could cloak or something based on the dark templar half. Anyway, I'm confused and if anybody wants to help out that'd be great.

The sequence of them nailing those Marines is friggin' sweet looking.

3. generalrievous

generalrievous New Member

aye a cloaked archon would be something to ph34r 8)

4. Itsmyship

Itsmyship New Member

Where only cool people live... So Cal!

Wooo...the video of them taking out the marines made me excited. Wish they could've had noises though.

5. for-glory

for-glory New Member

archlimit...i was wondering the same things but i dont think that will occur. Any combination will result in the same TA i think.

but damn dark blue spheres of energy look badass.

6. ArchLimit

ArchLimit New Member

I see, well that's fine. I figured as much. I guess this means it's really just a regular Archon with maybe the Psionic storm ability? Maybe even more than just Psionic storm? Cuz in SC1 the only problem was that I felt like sacrificing two high templars wasn't even really worth the Archon. But an Archon with Psionic Storm... oh jeez... that'd be so godly.

7. capthavic

capthavic New Member

Neat. And I think that the twilight archon will have the same abilities (whatever they are) regardless of which combination you use. Being able to use any two templar was just to make it simpler to make and cut down on units.

8. I)4rk

I)4rk New Member

I... love you samwise. (creator of concept art for Blizzard)

9. Alukard

Alukard New Member

Twilight Archont looks beautiful!!!

*tear*

10. I)4rk

I)4rk New Member

That stuff just seriously... looks so pimp I can't believe it.

11. ChocoNite

ChocoNite New Member

"With the halves of the protoss race reunited, an archon can now be brought into being by the merge of two high templar, or two dark templar, or even the unification of a dark templar and a high templar. Although the protoss are loath to sacrifice valuable templar, those who do achieve this final level of commitment are forever honored in the memories of their people."

I would like to stress the wording "an archon." Thus, I am hoping for one of the following: 1. Blizzard intends to design 3 different archons for each of the possible combinations 2. Blizzard will consider this in the future if they originally felt like combining the roles of Dark Archon and Archon together.

12. paragon

paragon Guest

The Archons seem to have a continuous attack like the warp ray. This is cool and they also seem to do splash damage as the later marines are killed quicker than the first ones. And that tileset looks absolutely amazing.

And, YAY the Soul Hunter is dead. Good riddance.

Also, it says the high templar use fire and lightning. Lightning would be psionic storm so... what's fire?

13. t4k9

t4k9 New Member

so, will the archon be full of shield and next to none health as in sc1? i would think so, to percerve the history. also, i doubt archon has magic, it would be crazy if a caster has high hp and high attacks.

14. burkid

burkid New Member

a hallucinated firebat
    i think they meant the archons attack is a sort of psionic storm, but focused to be less of an AoE, but not cost energy so that it can be used more practically.

15. eclipse

eclipse New Member

figure of speech?

16. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

It's funny, I would never have guessed that the next unit revealed on S2.com would be the Twilight Archon. It looks pretty friggin' sweet, but with the lack of abilities appears to simply be the 3D version of the original Starcraft Archon. I'm not complaining though, being able to create it from any combo of templars is awesome.

I am also very glad the Soul Hunter is gone.

And I just want to say that I am EXTREMELY excited that Starcraft 2 is coming out. This is the first (and will probably be the only) game that I follow daily and even joined a forum for!

17. Waller_Baer

Waller_Baer New Member

is the fact that they've thus far combined the archons into one type not sitting well with anyone else?
    i find it somewhat lacking...

the TA's look is cool, but i think w/o armor the archons looked real brutal, cuz it ment that they're
    incredible energy levels was all they needed, not some physical blockage
    oh and i hope they change the 'walking' animation, cuz floating is pretty sweet
    just some thoughts, didn't mean to be debbie downer :p

18. paragon

paragon Guest

der nobody used dark archons anyways.

New spell?

19. Frost

Frost New Member

I think i speak for most of this forum community when i say
    THANK GOD THE SOUL HUNTER IS GONE.

20. ArchLimit

ArchLimit New Member

Yea, I agree with pretty much all those who love the Archon design/union concept AS WELL as those who are glad that they scrapped the Soul Hunter. I really didn't think they needed anymore ground units to take out infantry. I almost even sorta thought that the Immortals and the Stalkers overlapped a tiny bit in the fact that they are both crawlers. But it's definitely not that bad but Soul Hunter would have just been too much.

I don't know about Fire abilities but I guess we're saying goodbye to the sweetness of Mind Control...