Tidbits of the Warpgate/Gateway

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by sniper64, May 23, 2009.

Tidbits of the Warpgate/Gateway

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by sniper64, May 23, 2009.

1. sniper64

sniper64 New Member

Upper Michigan, US
    Starting off this is a thread telling you how and what to use the Warpgate/Gateway. Now in the first starcraft, usually your first military building of the protoss was the gateway, now in SC2 you might be confused with the mechanics of the warpgate. The warpgate is the upgrade of the gateway. If you are wondering how exactly this works, first off you upgrade your gateway to a warpgate ( You may think, big deal who cares? Its the same thing right?). It turns out while watchign every Sc 2 video on youtube I found something very interesting. The warpgate does not only teleport units you have made from the building to anywhere with pylon power. It actually builds faster in the warpgate. So if you want units faster then simply make them from a Warpgate :eek:. I thought that was really interesting and wanted to share this info with you. Thank you

I am about 90% sure this is correct, while watching, sonkie and *this other player cant remember the name) duke it out. The narrator guy said that when he upgrades them, it produces them faster. I am thinking this is to make up for the terran being able to put those power things for double production que. In my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2009
  2. Seradin

Seradin New Member

Aiur
    :eek:

:wacko:

:(

I am not quite sure if this information is up to snuff.

building your land units faster in a stargate?

For the most up to date information about the Warpgate/gateway

go here: http://www.sc2pod.com/wiki/Warp_Gate

3. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Omg, we can have a Stargate now?! Call in the Asgard! XD
    Just had to reply to this one...

4. sniper64

sniper64 New Member

Upper Michigan, US
    Uh, seradin wtf I didnt even say stargate in that thing. The point is that you build faster with a warpgate. Let me find the youtube video where he says it. The ****ing lead designer said it. I'm pretty sure its true.

Last edited: May 23, 2009
  5. Kimera757

Kimera757 New Member

That's old info, but you can get it here with references.

And yes, the warp gate cuts the time to make units. The unit takes 5 seconds to warp in, then the following cooldown is 10 seconds less than the basic build time, so you save 5 seconds.

(It saves a lot of time warping in your first unit, assuming for some reason you never built units before transforming the gateway to a warp gate. However, over time the savings are only 5 seconds per unit.)

A zealot supposedly has a build time of 33 seconds. If you warp it in, it takes 5 seconds, and you need to wait 23 seconds before you can warp in another one (total 28 seconds). You save 5 seconds. That's pretty decent.

sniper64 likes this.
  6. sniper64

sniper64 New Member

Upper Michigan, US
    Ya, finally someone understands. I didnt know if it was old info though, since the video wasnt that old.

7. Seradin

Seradin New Member

Aiur
    lol it was a simple typo no more, i understand the speed upgrade if you pay attention to your building of units it could be a large advantage for the protoss. but i didnt see the worth of making a whole thread just for it, im sure we have some larger warp-in threads out there where it can be discussed.

8. sniper64

sniper64 New Member

Upper Michigan, US
    Ya, but no one actually had this subject. I searched it. I actually checked through it 10 times to make sure i hadnt said stargate........I didnt see it, i feel stupid now lol.

9. Seradin

Seradin New Member

Aiur
    its alright man, no worries.

were all very excited about the beta so there is alot of new members coming in that want to discuss whats in the game, after a games been in the publics eye for 2 years but not in our hands we tend to get a little anxious.

10. 1n5an1ty

1n5an1ty Member

Reality
    Interesting. At first I had thought that the warp gate almost instaneously warped units in. When i was watching the vids i was like "wtf it takes time?!". well now I know

thx :D

11. Gardian_Defender

Gardian_Defender New Member

Oregon_USA
    I thought the only reason u saved time was because you could send It to the other end of the map emidiatly(sry can spell) after it was created saving the time it would take to manually warp it there or having to walk there .

Correct Me if I'm wrong.

Last edited: May 25, 2009
  12. Sueco

Sueco New Member

So there's no drawback to the warpgate other than the one time upgrade cost?

I thought you got fast spawning anywhere but traded that for a lengthy cooldown time. If total production time is less tha normal production there is absolutetly no reason not to upgrade to warpgate now other than saving a few minerals...isn't the old Gateway obsolete then?

13. lvhoang

lvhoang New Member

Seattle, WA, USA
    Well you cannot queue more than 1 unit at a time, which is, to my mind, a dangerous drawback

14. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    The Warp Gate lacks a build queue. This means that unless you're completely on top of your 'Gate's cooldown, you may very well fail to profit from the time bonus. A highly skilled competative player, who can place new units as soon as their Warp Gates have cooled down, taking advantage of every second of the time bonus, would indeed find the Gateway to be obsolete. The rest of us, who might take a couple of seconds to move our attention to the fact that the Warp Gate is ready, might still find the advantage in the Gateway, where we can order a handful of units per structure, and not check back for a couple of minutes as we manage other things.

Believe me, it's easy to let a Warp Gate sit idle while your minerals pile up, and a Warp Gate-heavy strategy will not be forgiving about this. Unspent minerals are underutilized minerals. If you want to spend them on Gateway units, you have to either have the macro to deal with continuous warp-in, or be willing to sacrifice build rate and positioning by using Gateways. For some players, they may indeed find it to be advantageous to keep the macro down, in order to focus on micro, and would opt to keep them in Gateway mode.

Last edited: May 26, 2009
  15. lvhoang

lvhoang New Member

Seattle, WA, USA
    :D that's exactly what i wanted to say but I felt too lazy today :D thanks Neon

16. sniper64

sniper64 New Member

Upper Michigan, US
    Yes, you basically have a cut time of 5 seconds.