Thoughts on the Pre-Alpha/Development Terran Airbase/Starport

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Novacute, Apr 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Thoughts on the Pre-Alpha/Development Terran Airbase/Starport

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Novacute, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Novacute

Novacute New Member

I stumbled upon a very interesting article on the old terran airbase (Starport as it now known) on Starcraft II Wikia. The Pre-Alpha airbase had the ability to 'lift-off and move faster than regular terran buildings on air. Here's the catch. The starport/airbase was able to produce Air Units as it was in mid air, a feat which no other building had. I for one, supported the idea of BLizzard's decision of scrapping such an ability. In spite of that, a part of me still believes that it would be cool to have a floating base that can produce units (though it maybe very costly to deploy efficiently). Do you think blizzard has done the right thing by scrapping the idea?

2. Simbob

Simbob New Member

Australia
    I do. Mainly because the terran army is mobile enough in itself without being able to produce on the move...

3. bralbers

bralbers New Member

North Carolina, USA
    Yeah for balancing issues I think it should be left out. Although I still think it's a great ability.

4. Kimera757

Kimera757 New Member

You're talking of the star base, a "morph" of the starport.

It's cool, but apparently didn't add to the game. I expect to see it in the campaign somewhere. It screams "UED" to me (and there are UED remnants still in the Koprulu Sector).

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  5. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Would be nice to have it in the campaign, though. Just for a couple of missions. -possibly missions where you play with the UED-

6. Dragon God

Dragon God New Member

Vancouver
    Maybe the UED need your help fighting the zerg off a certain large island while there is an unknown artifact under the zerg base

7. Kimera757

Kimera757 New Member

Why would you help the UED though? Raynor used to fight against them.

8. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Plenty of plot twists in the original. I'm sure we get some more in the upcoming campaigns. It would be -the campaign stofail so hard if there are none.

What I meant to say with that: I suspect that you fight alongside with the UED at some point.

9. Gardian_Defender

Gardian_Defender New Member

Oregon_USA
    yea I'm glad they left it out.

But they need to put it in the campain
    ****OFF TOPIC*****
    the campain crap goes in the Oder like this (Terran, toss, Zerg) and eh comes in an expantion pack right?
    ****OFF TOPIC****

10. bralbers

bralbers New Member

North Carolina, USA
    If you are referring to how SC2 is going to be released it's Terran then Zerg and finally Protoss. As for whither or not the zerg and protoss are going to be expansion packs. Blizzard still has that to decide.

11. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    the Zerg and Protoss campaign conceals within themselves the 2 Expansion that Blizzard was already planning for Starcraft 2. as for if they will make another one is unknown.

12. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    ^ Incorrect.
    There is no such thing as an expansion to Starcraft 2. Heart of the Swarm and Legacy of the Void are nothing more then mission packs. Huge mission packs with great cgi, but still no expansion.

At most there will be some new tilesets availeble. Consumers who only want to buy a single part get the new tilesets with a map pack, and a small and a small patch to implement it in the editor. I highly doubt that patches will contain all new content -like units-, in a similar way WoW patches do.

13. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    then read this, Blizzard was planning 2 expansions for Starcraft 2, and then changed it so that the Zerg and Protoss campaign are the expansions, and since they are, Blizzard are most likely going to have new units and other such contents.

14. Gardian_Defender

Gardian_Defender New Member

Oregon_USA
    Thx
    Was just making sure I hadn't heard wrong.

15. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    First off: please use the right link. What you linked to was just a copy-paste article on IGN, I have no interest in that crappy and biased site. It is full of people who are unable to write a full sentence, there could be good ones, but that site is normally filled with crap. So, I read the full interview on Edge, which was the original site it was given to.

---

As for the interview itself: it stated that the so-called expansions add missions to the storyline. There is no reference to any part containing unique units. Yes, they might be unique in the missions, but not for skirmish or multiplayer. At this moment, there is no sign of having to buy all 3 parts to get the full unit roster, like Brood Wars did. And the unique units will still be in the editor, possibly later on.

As Blizzard already stated on multiple occasions: they are stand-alone games. Expansion reffers to the missions, as far as we can tell now. If you are going to speculate, then go ahead. Just do not try to Bend the words of the developers. It is strange. :s

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  16. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    I refer to them as expansions because even tho all that I hear that they are stand alone games, so you dont need the Terran side in order to install the Zerg or Protoss side.

Each 'game' still picks up right where the other left off from(like most expansions), instead of giving us a time gap(like most sequels).

And each 'game' gets their own unique units and such, since people that got the Terran side won't be able to play against people that got the Zerg or Protoss side, according to question # 4 on this anyway.(if you can find anything that sounds official that states otherwise about this please tell me).

also sorry about my link, i was short on time, and it had stated what i was talking about, so i didnt bother to look for a better one.

17. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    *mega facepalm*
    Why did I never notice that before? What the hell. That so needs to be changed. How the hell will the first two parts be a stand-alone, if only the third part has the full roster of units? Weird. :s

Wait, what were we talking about again? Oh, the Starport. XD

18. Kimera757

Kimera757 New Member

"How the hell will the first two parts be a stand-alone, if only the third part has the full roster of units?"

How the hell was StarCraft vanilla stand-alone, if only Brood War had the full roster of units?

19. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    What I meant was that Protoss game buyers would, in theory, be able to play against all 3 game type owners. Zerg and Terran game buyers only against people who own the same game. -and Zerg also vs Terran-

Blizzard is a bit vague about that. I just hope new content will come in patches, and that you only pay for the missions.

20. Kimera757

Kimera757 New Member

There's nothing theoretical about that. That's how expansions work. You also don't pay for patches. People are just inventing reasons to be upset.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.