Thoughts on the Lurker

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Sueco, May 3, 2009.

Thoughts on the Lurker

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Sueco, May 3, 2009.

1. Sueco

Sueco New Member

To be honest i never understood what the hell blizz developers were on when they gave the lurker a "line" attack.

How exactly do these underground spines travel upwards from a single direction in a row? wouldnt the outermost spines be much weaker due to losing energy traveling through the earth? It would have to be some kind of worm shooting the things upwards.

To be simple, the physics of the attack made no sense at all, I think everyone could see that.

Now, there are so many more elegant solutions for line damage... why o why doom such a cool unit as the lurker to ridicule?

When i first read about the lurker and its "underground spines", I imagined it shooting spines against targets above it in circle radiating outwards. That would have made sense. Even more if the lurker, as the specialized burrower, could slowly move underground to creep up on groups of units, and release an inferno of needles under them. That, was how i envisioned it. When BW finally came out, I was a bit... WTF? But hell... gameplaywise it wasnt bad... it just looked phony.

Now Blizzard have already created zerg units that move underground. The lurker, as the burrower per excelence, should of course also move slowly and sneakily undeground, and attack upwards like a real ambush predator. This strange idea to have a burrowed unit take an artillery role and somehow shoot projectiles through solid masses of earth is simply... retarded. Even in a sci-fi scenario, and thats a lot.

Let the lurker lurk, I say. Give me my ambush predator.

2. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    So you think that floating Overlords, Guardians, winged Mutaliks that fly in a vacuum and other Zerg units are more realistic? I agree with you that the attack looks strange, but this game is still sci-fi. The most important thing for me, is that the units look anatomicaly correct. **** the attack animation, as long as it works fine gameplay-wise.

Also, if the Lurker would be able to move underground, then the whole mechanic behind the unit would be gone. The Lurker is no predator. It lurks. The unit also is just as fast with burrowing as other units, how is it a specialized burrower? Yes, it attacks while burrowed, but that has nothing to do with how good it would be at burrowing. And the model kinda looks to crab like to tunnel. XD

Also, there are about two other active threads on this unit. Right in the first page. Why make a new thread? :s

3. Bthammer45

Bthammer45 New Member

Like a trapdoor spider.

I would have to agree with Aurora on this and also the only thing I can can see them doing is making it a tier 2 unit again because the hydra has been put back as a tier 1.5.

As to how he does this I can"t say but I like the lurker the way it is.

4. Chax424

Chax424 New Member

A
    I've thought about this so often.
    I'm still at a loss about where the spines come from...

5. PsiWarp

PsiWarp New Member

Aiur
    If they gave the Lurker a centipede-like tail with spikes, it'd make sense for it to be able to stretch out and impale through the earth upwards, a lot more sense than randomly appearing.

-Psi

6. Gardian_Defender

Gardian_Defender New Member

Oregon_USA
    well i always liked the lurker how it was. there was no need to change it.

sure the attack is funny and not really realistic, but like Aurora said "this game is still sci-fi."
    so who cares about realistic (maybe its not realistic here on earth but this isn't earth were
    about. maybe these planets have really por soil so they can penetrat super deep and stuff)
    (plus these zerg creatures are pretty much made of pure muscle, tell me they can't punch a
    small hole in the earth and with a spike.)

if there going to make change it remake the design and call it something else, make it move while burrowed
    so slowly that itd be pointless unless you had a lot of time on ur hands and make it so the lurker has different attack spikes (like attack spikes that attack right infront of them and so on for like 4 rows and each will have a different amount of damage) and make all of the spikes move out from the lurker like a circle around the lurker.
    i think this would make it a little more realistic (to some point) still keep its (mostly but not limited to) style of sitting and waiting in one place for prey.

anyone think this would be better or worse?
    PS. i think there way to many threads about the lurker someone should make a unizersal thread about them and if you have anythiing you want to ask about them they could ask it there.

7. Space Pirate Rojo

Space Pirate Rojo New Member

Canada, eh?
    Unrealistic, but it would feel really foreign and different if they changed the attack.

I mean...

I came to fear that really sick noise of the spines digging through, towards my poor M&M squads.

8. Sueco

Sueco New Member

Yeah the mechanic is all too well attached to the lurker's identity now. Sigh.

Curse you, blizzard developers, get off the crackpot you monkeys!

9. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

I always did wonder about the spikes of a lurker and how they moved in the way they did. I ugess i just never cared enough to ask in the end. The only thing i'm unhappy with is the freaking art of the sc2 lurker. The poor lurker looks like some retarded melted crab insted of a evolved hydralisk.

10. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    Gameplay takes prestige over lore here, and i can't think of an attack animation that would be as good as the line attack gameplaywise.

11. Bthammer45

Bthammer45 New Member

Most likely if they where in a movie or book they would burrow around under units and skewer them with spines from beneath the ground.