Thor the answer to terran mobility?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by DKutrovsky, Nov 15, 2008.

Thor the answer to terran mobility?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by DKutrovsky, Nov 15, 2008.

1. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

Ok, so Zerg has the Nydus worm, the protoss have warp-in. And the terrans have a big robot walker with no purpose.

Why dont we make the Thor into a walking production building? It can plant itself to be a stationary defensive building while producing units. On the move it can be holding infantry think walking bunker.

Reasoning behind this idea, the Thor is massive, its built like a building so why not produce and act as a mobile HQ for the terrans. It fits perfectly with the turtle strategy of terrans and gives us options to build.

There will be two versions of the Thor. A Barracks one and a factory one. They will have different skills, the one thats the barracks version can hold the infantry on the move. The factory one can be a mobile repair stations.

Both of them still have weapons when "sieged", you can make them have different weapons or abilities while they're in building mode.

I dont think a starport version is needed.

2. demohunto

demohunto New Member

Nevada
    I'm going to have to agree with this.
    Honestly the Thor is so pointless right now so I think this would be a great idea. Alto for balancing I don't think it should be able to build ALL the units.

I think it should only be able to build simple units as like a backup during combat. For example maybe Marines and Reapers and Marauders. Viking's and Hellions for the Factory thor.

It would be pretty much a giant SCV.

3. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    Terran production buildings are already mobile...
    The Thor is now built at the factory, btw.

I don't like being able to build the standard units, but i think it might work if the Thor builds specific units, maybe on timed lives to protect it, but even that doesn't seem Terran...

The idea's pretty good, but i think the balancing would either turn thor into a fast(er) barracks or the production speed would be too slow to be useful.

Leaving the thor as it is (which people who have played version of SC2 seem to think has a much clearer role than previously) and increase speed of lifted off buildings significantly would be the best 'solution' to terran mobility, that or bring back starbase and droppod ;)

sorry if that didn't make much sense, i just woke up...

4. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

I have yet to find a clear role for the Thor, Anti-air for such a sluggish unit doesnt seem fair for some reason.

I like the Thor building some special units, some sort of drones maybe?

5. Hunter

Hunter New Member

Hungary,Székesfehérvár
    hm it's weird that it is built from the factory now.. I hope the scv will build it at the end. That made the Thor more useful. I think a dropship won't be able to pick it up, so bringing an scv away and building a thor is much faster than making it walk from the factory to the battlefield.

6. Lombar

Lombar New Member

Buenos Aires
    The dropship cant pickup thors?
    If the ****ign warprism can pick up colossi the droppod can take thor for a flight XD

Lol.
    Nice idea, but I kinda agree with Tha overmind :O
    Plus, the walking defence are already in zerg's hand.

7. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    the warpprism can't pick up Colossi, last i heard.
    If thor remains factory built it needs to be able to be carried in the dropship, colossi can walk up cliffs so they don't need it.
    i agree with the thor being built by SCV's.

8. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    at first Warp Prism couldnt pick up colossi, then a bit later they could only pick up 1 colossus, and now they can pick up 2 colossi. proven by the beginning of this vid of Sonkie VS Yellow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGCg_aRABQs

9. Kaaraa

Kaaraa Space Junkie

United States
    I want the old Thor back. Back then it was a glorious heavy assault war machine, now it's just a fat Goliath. Why don't they just bring back the old version and give us the Predator?

10. Lombar

Lombar New Member

Buenos Aires
    ya, I was gonna adress you to the sonkie vs yellow match as well.. gj lurk :p

11. demohunto

demohunto New Member

Nevada
    I just think they should just scrap the Thor. I feel like it serves no role into terrans besides being a huge goliath. When I first saw him he was this big ol walking mech that was used for pure siege. Now it's just some AA thats not much of a siege anymore.

Scrap it for something cooler I say.

12. Lombar

Lombar New Member

Buenos Aires
    Demohunto.. just wait for the beta, cause I really think this part of what overmind said is really true

13. Rex

Rex New Member

I haven't read everyone's post but you forgot to mention the Pod drop ability that the Terran have. So Protoss's Warp-In, Zerg's Nydus Worm, and Terran Pod Drop.

14. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA

Drop Pods have been taken out of Multi-player since... so long that i dont even remember.

15. Hunter

Hunter New Member

Hungary,Székesfehérvár
    Too much of changes, I think nothing is the same since I last checked the development. I am starting to think that they want to "overbalance" the game. I hope it won't turn to a usual strategy game just like all other..

16. Rex

Rex New Member

Are you serious.... THEY TOOK OUT THE DROP PODS??!?!?!?

Man I was looking forward to that :/ also if the game changes that much its just not worth looking forward too T.T
    Is there a way we can let blizzard know we don't like all the changes?? :D

17. Cotcan

Cotcan New Member

Yes, they toke out the drop-pods. We had a entire thread for it. They toke it out a long time ago. Where have you been? But the thor should be like it was before, and be able to carry a few units. If it builds at all, it should only build drones(like the reaver in the orginal sc), that blow up on the enemy. But instead of being in a the unit waiting to be fired, it is outside of the unit. Costing minerals, and energy to be built. Plus they don't do too much damage, and are weak for balancing.

18. Rex

Rex New Member

Sorry I was busy and I couldn't log on this forum and I missed out on A LOT but I do know about the Thor's change, and I agree the Thor should be like it was before. It seemed much cooler.

19. Maelstrom

Maelstrom New Member

Buenos Aires, Argentina
    You know, I was thinking the same thing. I certainly hope that announcing the game at such an early stage didn't backfire on the whole development process D:
    But hey, Blizz is Blizz right? :p

20. LoVeRBoy[E]

LoVeRBoy[E] New Member

Rocky Mount, North Carolina
    i think they should just take out the thor completely or change it back to the orig verison