Thor poll

Discussion in 'Terran' started by -LT-, Oct 15, 2007.

?

What do you think? Should Thor:

1. Stay as it is

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Get modified and have another role

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Be kicked out of the game

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

Thor poll

Discussion in 'Terran' started by -LT-, Oct 15, 2007.

1. -LT-

-LT- New Member

I think it should be modified. What do you think?
    :gossip:

2. Flesh

Flesh New Member

Modified into what? Imo it overlaps too much with other units, what role can it perform that isn't already taken? And its design isn't anything special, I wouldn't mind if it got axed. Hey, you could still use it in ums games :)

3. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    i don't think that there is another Terran meatshield on ground, which is why the Thor should be modified into being more like one. Get rid of the artillery strike, give it something equally powerful but with shorter range, and give it a little more hp.

4. Heavyarms2050

Heavyarms2050 New Member

scrap it, thors cannot survive on its while tanks on the other hand have a better chance

5. Z-BosoN

Z-BosoN New Member

Yes, I agree it should the modified. Like Karune said, it overlaps with many other roles of the Terran units.

6. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

What about a mobile gun placement mech, with 4 gattling guns instead, good against medium and small units as well as a air.

7. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

nah, i wouldn't too bothered if the thor get axed, i wasn't too excited about it in the first place

8. MarineCorp

MarineCorp New Member

England, United Kingdom
    I guess i have to go for modifying it, no other choice

9. CodyFallsForth

CodyFallsForth New Member

Its role as a heavy support unit is over lapping with the tank.

But, Its more effective imo.

Shorter range, but it has that rad ability (Bombard? I can't remember).

It can attack air.

More life (higher tier)

More mobile (Can be built anywhere)

It should be modified. But should stay.

10. -LT-

-LT- New Member

I agree. But how could they modify it?

11. G0li4th

G0li4th New Member

Thor must stay since in teh artillery backlines is a good support versus heavy units and still can be built in the middle of battleground.
    Only modifications I would do is to increase a bit it's movement speed or give a research to Caterpillar and increasing so it's cost.

12. Quanta

Quanta New Member

I say modify the Thor. Make it a tier 3 heavy assult unit. I want strong direct damage attacks that are good against heavy armor and buildings. Move it from reline support to frontline meatshield. It could fill the same sort of role that is filled by the Archons and Ultralisks. Get rid of the artillery barage and give it something else. You could give it a defensive ability to make it a better tank, or an offensive ability to allow it to pwn things.

13. WuHT

WuHT New Member

O overlap is definately a good word to describe Thor.

1)Sieging can be accomplished by the definative terran unit in siege mode..that already handily destroys buildings. What it lacks in sheer building-razing speed it makes up for in safety.

2)Built-anywhere building-wrecker is not unique to Thor. Nukes can be built @ home but can be deployed anywhere by a ghost which functions as a map-wide casting range of the artillery strike.

3)Damage Sponge. Defensive matrix needs some love and recognition. Essentially placing it on a BC is the most numerically similiar concept..but even placing a d-matrix on a marine makes for a quick-damage sponge.

4)Cost wise it's unique (looks to be mucho-pricey) but thats almost for the wow-factor that it's a big unit more than it'll fit gameplay.

5)Definately takes away from the Protoss Colossus if it doesn't take away from the majority of the terran army. Whats so scary about colossus (dreaded weapons of war) when you've got some Thors hanging around. For a noticeably superior tech'ed alien species ..you'd imagine it the other way around

--- As a side note .. i thought that it was always "tactical" of the terran to never employ a unit as a damage sponge (BCs are arguable)..as they worked around firepower, expendable frontline, and entrenchment strats. Keep the races unique with different playstyles please. Not ever race needs an ultralisk with cannons sticking out of it's back.

14. headstock

headstock New Member

i gave this idea in another thread just recently.

i would like to see the thors role drastically changed.

i would like to see its artillery ability removed all together.

i would like to see the thor given the ability to transport a small amount of marines instead, capable of firing from the moving thor.

it would increase the role of the marine as a good unit on its own, plus capable of entering bunkers, thors, and drop pods making the marine a truely unique and multi roled unit

it would take away the siege role from the thor relinquishing this role back to the siege tanks, and give it a new role being a damage sponge, and the ability to load units would give you the ability to ALTER the role of the thor, from transporting marines to do additional attacks to single or multiple units, transport scv's to unload at any time ready to repair, or any other strategies

what yas reckon?

15. Vindicatormsc

Vindicatormsc New Member

the Thor already is a damage sponge.and it never was an artillery unit,unless you want to use only thors instead of Siege tank.the Thor is a heavy damage dealer and support artillery unit,with the plus of being a natural damage sponge.i honestly can't see how this overlaps with the Siege Tank's role.the Thor is an awesome unit,i hope they DON'T remove it.it is an more than welcome addition for the Terran,and they may scrap it because people don't see how Thor's and Siege Tank's roles are totally different.

16. DE.50

DE.50 New Member

Washington
    I think the thor as it is is very effective, basically I see it being a gamer turner, you get like 2 of these bad boys and you either break or win a siege. The siege tank isn't a support unit, it is THE offensive unit of the terrans, or at least was in SC1, and is there to be the damage dealer. The artillery on the thor should be used to disrupt the enemies position, either making them retreat beyond the fire, allowing for some of your siege tanks to advance further, or making them attack, so they come in range of your siege tanks fire, and the thors are there to absorb damage.

I forgot who mentioned it, but the thor developing into a mobile transport is exactly the same as one of the units in CC: Red Alert, and I actually like the idea, I think it makes infantry units more valuable, and would almost make Blizz include the firebat, since the marine is the only unit you would ever really want to put inside it without the firebat, since it wouldn't be balanced to be able to allow ghosts to use their abilities from it.

In conclusion I guess, the thor will have to be in the game, and whether the role changes at all, people should always remember that where there's a will, there's a way, and if someone wants to find a way to use the thor, they will.

17. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

yes just remoeved the artilery strike of the thor and make it the ultaimate attacker unit of the terran.

THOR>MARINES.

18. terran_dominion

terran_dominion New Member

What if Thor maintained its ability to bombard but could also be equipped with an expendable short-range tactical Nuke? Considering the Thor's lack of mobility, 2 abilities that force opponents to flee or completely alter their defenses could really allow the Terran to turtle-push in a new way.

19. capthavic

capthavic New Member

I don't mind it the way it is now but i do like the idea of making it a close range unit. Sort of like the vehicle equivelent of the marine meat shield. I think it would be cool if it's two arm guns were fired shells instead of lasers and the main gun is a huge sweeping laser that just destroys any structure it touches.

20. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

no it should be laser. "gundam".

and the arm should move freely like the human driven mechs in matrix revolution allwing the thor to attack 2 enemies at the same time.

and yes REMOVED the artilery strike. the attack animation of the thor's artileery looks lame and ugly in the first place. we should see animation projectiles (rockets etc.) to make it look POWERFUL.