Thor on Island maps and transport.

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Bthammer45, May 1, 2009.

Thor on Island maps and transport.

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Bthammer45, May 1, 2009.

1. Bthammer45

Bthammer45 New Member

I was wondering how the thor is going to be able to move on island maps and such because its so big to transport.

A idea is the thor can lift off and fly but can"t attack or retaliate and also to balance things this transformation takes a couple of seconds to do like 5.

2. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    Already been suggested, and I think it was shot down. No idea how it'll be transported though... if Blizzards says it fits in the dropship I'm going to OMG.

3. Simbob

Simbob New Member

Australia
    Seriously? I mean, you can fit 2 whole tanks in the dropship...

4. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    This has been talked to death SO many times, and this is the only thing i heard(source was deleted by blizzard in an attempt to make space for new threads / cleaning up the spam on their old forum) blizzard talking about it, it went something along the lines of "If an Overlord can pick up two Ultralisk, each the size of the Overlord, in SC1, Why cant the Dropship pick up a Thor or two in SC2?"(this thread was after the Thor was reduce in size a bit.)

Edit:
    LOL

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  5. Bthammer45

Bthammer45 New Member

I mean I can see why the colossus can be transported with the warp prism but a Thor fitting in a drop ship almost seems like you would be able to fit something like a carrier or a battle cruiser in one if a thor could sit inside.

6. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    People, remember the scaling down of units for once... A single Thor should fit just fine in a Dropship.

Look at Mutalisks and Carriers from SC:BW. The Mutalisks were about half the size of the Carrier in-game. If anyone here has actually bought the game, or watched the cinematics online, then you would know that there can fit thousands of them in a Carrier.

The same goes for Overlords and Dropships. Those things are pretty huge. You just see them from high above. Hell, a Mothership would have to be 5 screens wide. The thing is as big as a city.

7. Gardian_Defender

Gardian_Defender New Member

Oregon_USA
    Cool description

I guess if there is a problem that people really can't get it through their minds they could make them look bigger and carry even more
    (so like 12zerglings or 3tanks or 3ultras)

8. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    I remember hearing somewhere that they're not able to be transported, which does make sense, but even if that it the case, I don't see how that would simply make them useless on island maps. The only way Thors could be considered useless is if you consider Missile Turrets useless. Seriously, these things will almost be vital against Zerg especially, with forty damage against Air units per round, splashed, and with ten range, which is greater than that of the Brood Lord and Carrier, things like Mutalisks, Phoenixes, and Banshees won't stand a chance, Brood Lords will be given a run for their money, Carriers will be without Interceptors, and even if Vikings or transport ships are able to land or unload, they'll still have to get through the Thors.

9. Bthammer45

Bthammer45 New Member

Where did you get the junction that this is talking about how they would be useless on island maps this is purely how to move the thor around on island maps not how strong they are.

There strong regardless im just trying to figure out how they would be transported on island maps and such.

10. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    Thors could only not be transported when they were made by SCVs iirc, when it wasn't such a necessary because they could be constructed on the spot. I don't get why this is pointed out while the ultralisk, reavers and even siege tanks fitting in their transports are ignored.

11. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    @ Bthammer. As it's been said, that has already been discussed a number of times, and as you'll see if you read what I wrote, as far as I'm aware they can't be, but even if that is the case, they're still extremely useful. Or, in other words, a Ground unit doesn't have to be able to be transported to be useful in island maps, and that applies directly to the Thor. It doesn't need to be able to move from island to island.

12. Bthammer45

Bthammer45 New Member

I know what you said but this is purely how they get around.