This pc any good?

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by teraformer, Feb 3, 2009.

This pc any good?

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by teraformer, Feb 3, 2009.

1. teraformer

teraformer New Member

kansas city, MO
    I found this pc for $700. It has a dual core processor and Vista 64 bit. The graphics is an Nvidia 7100. Would this be a good pc for gaming or should I keep looking?

2. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Processor speed?
    RAM?
    CD drive?
    Does it come with a monitor?
    Brand?

As a rule of thumb, a lot of things don't work on 64 bit, but as an OS, 64 bit IS better.

3. teraformer

teraformer New Member

kansas city, MO
    re

HP

2.3 ghz

320 gb hard drive with lightscribe

4 gb DDR2 memory

19 inch monitor

Seems like a good pc but it's the graphics card I was wondering about more than anything.

4. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

The other specs are pretty good. I wouldn't worry too much about the vidcard cause (A) you can get a new one (B) 8 gigs of RAM is gonna be more than enough.

5. Lobsterlegs

Lobsterlegs Guest

Give me more specs..
    The amount of RAM isn't really that useful.
    I need speed and manufacturer (Corsair, Hyper, OCZ) .

The most bang for the buck I can think of is:

Core 2 E8400 3,0GHz (cost = $150)
    ATI 4870 1GB (HIS, Powercolor, doesn't matter) (cost = $150)
    x38 or X48 motherboard ($100)
    2GB or more RAM with the speed of (minimum) 800MHz ($50)
    DVD and Harddrive of your choice.. (aprox $100)
    CMPSU-620HXEU 620w Power supply (aprox $100)
    PC Case (ATX)

The cost will be around $700 and it will handle games like Call of Duty 4 on all max with AA and all that and a res of 1280x1024+

The only problem is the monitor, that you won't get.
    But the problem is solved if you cut down on the motherboard (buy one for $50)
    And if you cut down on the PC case and Harddrive (you can always buy an extra harddrive)

6. PancakeChef

PancakeChef New Member

United States
    Do not, I repeat do not get a HP brand computer, they are not very good at all.

The graphics card is a bit dated by todays standards as well, you should probably look at a 8000 series and up. That computer is decent for right now but in a year or 2 your probably gonna have to upgrade again so if your looking for a long time investment i wouldn't.

The ram and hard drive are the only things that are good.

If anything you need to get a good processor/motherboard that will last awhile because then you can just upgrade ram, and video cards, etc as needed. Upgrading a processor or motherboard can be much more difficult and costly.

7. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    It's an OK pc, it will survive games.

I should point out that clockspeed alone is not an acurate measure of speed due to pipelining. Take 22 different models of processors at the same clockspeed (core and core 2 maybe) and they will be able to do different ammounts of work in the same period of time. Hence the processor type is aalso important.

8. teraformer

teraformer New Member

kansas city, MO
    The processor is an AMD. Didnt say what brand of memory cards. I was just reading off the box. I figured the 7100 wasnt much better than the 6150 I have right now.

9. DotGet

DotGet New Member

7100 isn't good at all. It's a multimedia card, no good for games.There's a general rule-of-thumb when it comes to Nvidia cards in the 5000-9800 slew of cards. Anything between 5100 and 5900 is a series. Same for 6100 to 6900, etc. The numbers themselves don't mean much, and will just be made up depending on how Nvidia thinks the market will respond to them.

Generally, the closer you get to the baseline of a series, the weaker, and vice-versa. Take, for example, the 7000 series. The 7100 is a multimedia card, and the 7900 is the high-end gamer card. It's an older high-end card, but it was the 'gamer card' of its time. To give you an idea of the power of the 7900GT, the PS3's video card is relatively the same. And I don't think Starcraft 2 would run on the PS3 at normal PC resolutions, so it's a little weak by today's standards. Now by comparison, the 7100 would probably be very good at running games like Solitaire and Spades... I kid. It'd be okay for, say, Counter-Strike (but not CS: Source).

So, in short, it's not at all worth the money. Just judging by the video card, the processor is probably a Pentium dual core (5000 series), and not a Core 2 Duo. It may be worth $400, if that.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009