The Terran Valkyrie

Discussion in 'Terran' started by paragon, Jul 8, 2007.

?

What should be done about the Terran Valkyrie in StarCraft 2?

1. Leave it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Overhaul it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Trash it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

The Terran Valkyrie

Discussion in 'Terran' started by paragon, Jul 8, 2007.

1. paragon

paragon Guest

Many people have said different things about the Terran Valkyrie ranging from "IT SUCKS" to "IT RAPES LIGHT AND MEDIUM AIR." Obviously these two statements are on opposite sides of the spectrum of truth so what is the real truth and how will this truth play out in StarCraft 2?

I believe that many of the people who believe the Valkyrie sucks either:
    1) can't use it right
    2) don't play Terran
    3) play against people who don't use it right

The Valkyrie is a niche unit, it was designed to fulfill a specific role involving air defense. Can it win a game for you single handedly? If the player masses light/medium air and has no ground, then sometimes it can if you crush their fleet so bad they quit. Clearly not something that would be attributed to a unit that sucks. However, if the player does not leave after his fleet is crushed, you will have all these Valkyries around and nothing to do with them (as some say) and they will be taking up precious supply (will you even be close to 200 supply? probably not in a real game).

The truth is, Valkyries are NOT useless after the enemy air fleet has been crushed. Do you think the enemy will be making any more air? Not if they're smart. Do you think the zerg player will be able to make any more units with no overlords? No (this would probably cause them to leave). So, you bring in your tanks and your bats and your vultures and whatever else you want because your skies are completely clear.

So, in closing, the Valkyrie does not suck. I voted overhaul because everything seems to be being overhauled and the Valkyrie should get some slight changes to keep up. Some sort of afterburner with a semi-long cooldown maybe.

2. Arachanox

Arachanox New Member

Overhaul it with 'some sort of afterburner'? Paragon, you're taking that idea straight from the Brood War Beta, y'know. ;)

But I agree; the Valk has its uses. I just don't use it.

3. AvantGuardian

AvantGuardian New Member

Leave it. The Valkyrie is one of my absolute favorite units in Brood War, to the point that I use no other AA unit and built turrets only to act as detectors.

4. AvantGuardian

AvantGuardian New Member

A trend I've noticed amongst Korean players is a tendency to ignore AA defense in favor of a strong air push. But if you tend to play defensively, as I do, Valkyries are among the best units to have, especially for base defense or when protecting Battlecruisers from pesky Scourge rushes.

5. AvantGuardian

AvantGuardian New Member

A lot of units that many people rarely use are actually kick-ass, depending on your style of gameplay. The Ultralisks, another underrated unit, are killer at base defense.

6. Itsmyship

Itsmyship New Member

Where only cool people live... So Cal!
    I say overhaul it. Valkyries are very useful in certain situations (especially against zerg). I in fact love Valks so much, that I almost never use wraiths (unless a certain need should arise). I would love a 2nd ability though...afterburners sound very good for me, especially in the harassing aspect.
    Valkyries are my 2nd favorite unit after only the Goliath

7. Monan

Monan New Member

Leave it. Good players can use them very good, you just have to know how to.

8. alucardx

alucardx New Member

Valkiries are useful when you´re dealing with air massive opposite attacks,,, let´s say a large army of BC´s, carriers (RIP) or mutalisks,,, but you need to know how to use them to appreciate them.

Their attack makes low damage,, but continuous... so they can easily stop armies because of the splash kind-of damage.

They could be overhauled hehe if any additional attack is added,,, let´s say somekind of mini-nuke that can be dropped over some nasty ground units

9. DontHate

DontHate New Member

I voted to replace it with another unit. i think terren air should have a light fighter suited for attacking ground.

10. Itsmyship

Itsmyship New Member

Why? We have Siege Tanks for that job. I don't get what's with ppl and having stuff like Wraiths and Scouts attack ground anyways.

11. Ych

Ych New Member

They will most likely get a overhaul.
    Remember back in the BW days, that Valkyries used to be a bomber? I have a feeling that Blizzard is going to bring that idea back in SC2 for the overhauled Valkyries and then change their names. On the other hand, I loved the Valkyries in SC, but the problem with them is, they are way too expensive. Corsairs are cheaper, have distruption web, and can do just about the same as a Valkyrie can do.

I did a test long time ago pitting 12 Corsairs vs 12 Valkyries fully upgraded. To my surprise, the Corsairs came up on top. This was due to the reason the Valkyries have this Sprite bug or something that when they are massed, some of them won't shoot properly. I'm not sure if Blizzard fixed this in their recent patch. But then of course, no one is going to mass Valkyries. But the problem is, if 12 Corsairs can beat 12 Valkyires fully upgraded, and they cost cheaper, and got a nice ability in disruption web, than that tells you that Valkyries should really get overhauled or get some new ability to compensate that.

12. Itsmyship

Itsmyship New Member

I love how Valkyries are now, but they of course would need an extra ability to make it to SC2, so I'd personally think of either a)an afterburner as Paragon said or 2) a type of missle that acted as an emp, but also stunning the enemy in a certain radius.

13. Goliath Online

Goliath Online New Member

Leave it be!

14. Meloku

Meloku New Member

a very cool unit, and I loved it, but never really used it in any real battles. Its just too expensive and like stated before, the wraith fills the role better.

15. capthavic

capthavic New Member

Well I thought it was good at what it does. All we have seen so far is 5 units (counting dropships) and only one was new. Until we know more I would say just update it.

16. paragon

paragon Guest

protoss have six air units, tempest, warp ray, phoenix, star relic, phase prism, observer
    terran have two so far, battlecruiser and dropship
    if they kept the science vessel, the wraith, and the valkyrie, that would be 5. however, I think they will be changing a lot for the terran just like they did for the protoss. (only protoss air unit from the original is the observer)

17. beBoy

beBoy New Member

vote: Overhaul it, I don't use valks because they stop shooting when alot of sprites are in use. I hope they will keep it and add in some magic to it ;)

18. Space Pirate Rojo

Space Pirate Rojo New Member

Canada, eh?
    Valkyries should have an afterburner but a 200 (no Reactor available for them) energy limit that gets 2 energy drained every second.

19. ArchLimit

ArchLimit New Member

Overhaul would be good. I liked using Valkyries for Overlord hunting, as well as a great support unit for air as well. I do believe that they are more powerful than Corsairs in sheer firepower. One interesting thing I noticed about the Valk vs. Corsair comparison is that Corsairs are a little better at taking out Scourges, because they have a faster reaction time, in that their "bullets" sort of just spring up on the target as soon as the Corsair shoots. The Valkyrie's bullet spray need to launch and hit, often times rendering the scourges able to reach the desired target before it's killed.

The UPSIDE of Valks compared to Corsairs in my opinion is that their bullets were equal in damage throughout the entire area that they fired at, whereas the Corsairs' damage is only concentrated in the centered spot and it dissipates as the damage radius expands. So it when it came down to fighting BC's 'n what not, you still see them more or less take a unit or two at a time as a opposed to the Valkyries taking out a group of airships simultaneously.

I only stopped using them on Bnet because of that bug where the Valks didn't shoot at a certain map max or something, which just sucked so bad. So if they took that out, up the armor/damage a little, or maybe employ some kind of minor "stun" effect, I'd have a lot of fun with it.

Devourers have corrosive acid, corsairs have dweb, y not give the Valks some'n?

20. Ych

Ych New Member

Lets hope for tomorrow's E3, that they will release some info on the Terrans. Hopefully, we will get to know the Terrans as much as we do as the Protoss before the PC gamer Magazine issue was released. From what I'm expecting, I think they will probably be releasing a new video based on the Terrans. Maybe we will see the new and improved Valkyries :)