The Terran Raptor

Discussion in 'Terran' started by aMp, Feb 17, 2008.

The Terran Raptor

Discussion in 'Terran' started by aMp, Feb 17, 2008.

1. aMp

aMp New Member

This is another idea I have for a Terran AtA fighter. It's called the Raptor. It looks sort of like a Viking in air mode, and it has twin gauss rail shooters. It is built from the Starport, and costs 125 minerals, 175 gas, and 2 supplies. It was designed to be the ultimate balance of armor, power, and speed. It is fairly fast and has an attack bonus against lightly armored air targets. But is has pretty good armor for a fighter. Since it can be built right after building the Starport, it can come into play early enough to mass and intercept enemy fleets, although it doesn't have enough power for capital ships.

Here's where it really gets useful. It has a special ability called Destructor. It launches a bomb towards the middle of the enemy fleet and detonates, with the ability to destroy up to 4 lightly armored flyers. Now this doesn't use energy, but you can't use it again for 2 minutes with any one Raptor. What do you guys think? This would fit really in the Terran AtA department.

2. Gizmo4life

Gizmo4life Guest

could work. really depends how the sky raider is implemented tho. it could be too powerful if every raptor could use it every 2 minutes. however if it was on energy or something and cost something like 400 energy or something so each raptor could only use it every 5 minutes or so then it could be balanced.

3. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Why does an anti light unit need bonus in armor vs a capital ship??? And really, i think it sucks...
    And the abbility is totally OP

4. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Armor bonus=Dodging big WABUMPH cannons.

Anyhoo, I like the unit, though a RG is a slow firing thing, not really what you'd put on an AS fighter. And yeah, the ability is OP, though I like the concept, an AoE missile.

5. aMp

aMp New Member

No. I said only ONE Raptor can use it every 2 minutes, not every one. And that's taking into account how often the enemy sends fleets at you and how often you're going to have Raptors deployed.

And Fenix, it's a fast-firing rail gun. Like 1.5 or 2 rounds/second.

6. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

rail guns? give it laser or something and i'll take it. wraith use laser why not take it. and it make sense that a main ata fighter to use some sort of a laser or blaster which travel fast and is more precise and lethal. ok dont say its unterran bcoz the wraith have it in the original. its time the terran to use laser for their main ata fighter in sc2.

if you dont want then i would pick the predator which im sure fires lasers over this. :p

by the way i like the raptor name. 8)

7. dewmonster

dewmonster New Member

I think the whole, destroy 8 ships every two minutes seems a bit imba. Maybe it could just have a splash attack, enough to do some good damage to 8 ships, if they were clustered together?
    And I agree with zeratul11, lasers ftw.

8. Gizmo4life

Gizmo4life Guest

i just dont understand why if its a unit ability only one of them can use it at any given time. even then its overpowered, like a nuke for air units without the supply limitations of the nuke in the original.

9. aMp

aMp New Member

Alright. I'll lower the damage of the bomb ability and give it splash damage. But I'm sticking with rail guns. They are more advanced, explosive, and destructive than lasers, which have been used in every sci-fi tv show, movie, and video game out there. And I do think lasers are un-Terran; I don't think Wraiths were very Terran-ish. They just don't fit what Terran is about. And how can you go wrong with rapid shooting supersonic cannons?

10. Gizmo4life

Gizmo4life Guest

rapid firing supersonic cannons arent lasers... thats how you can go wrong... lol jk. you have a point that railguns are more likely to do splash damage tho.

11. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    Ok, so here are my suggestions for your idea, first I would lose the name it just doesn't seem to make sense for the unit unlike some other Terran names. Second this is probably one of the few units I would suggest having some form of laser on because if its going to try and be light and fast its not going to be wanting to haul around a bunch of bullets for the rail guns. Third (it seems like you would already do this but...) make the bomb/missile attack do way less damage and maybe a smaller damage radius but have the cooldown on a unit by unit basis and reduce it a little bit, on a separate note I would also change the name of the ability it doesn't seem right for a missile/bomb attack. Also I personally don't like the idea of the units base attack having splash damage because it would remove some of the value of the missile instead I would have it just have a very fast firing single target attack.

Those are just my opinions though. Finally my name suggestions would be "Crusader" for the unit and "Javelin Missile" for the ability.

12. aMp

aMp New Member

Those are great ideas. First, I'm keeping the names. Second...they're not huge rail guns, they're more like small gauss rail shooters. I already said that the bomb attack will do less damage...and also, yes, I agree, forget the splash damage. I will now edit the original post.

EDIT: Okay, I edited the original post, and I changed it a little bit.

13. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

if the wraith wasn't even terran for you and still want them to be the same as in the original for sc2 then i DISAGREE. i dont want to start discussing why coz im sure i will get flame here.

but all i can see is, there is MORE to the terran than what we always percieve them to be like in the original we just need to be open and think BIG for the new terran and accept it. thats why we got the thor and viking now. so a laser ATA fighter plane is not a big deal for the updated terran in sc2. hell i didn't even really saw hardcore sci fi war in sc1 and IMO the reason is simply because it was 10 years ago so too were we. we know better than that and im glad sc2 is going for the better. ^^

14. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Wratihs not Terran??? HAve you even played the game???????

15. Gizmo4life

Gizmo4life Guest

lasers were used by every terran ship but the dropship and the valkarie (yes i do mean the BC and the Wraith). I think lasers are a good option for this fighter.

16. aMp

aMp New Member

@ furrer: All you've done this whole thread is flamed me without backing up your reasons.

@zeratul: Okay then I guess we just disagree on things. I would just rather see a big gauss projectile burst an explosion in the enemy ship than see a little laser burn a little hole and call it "more advanced terran technology."

EDIT: And zeratul, you said the terran are advancine and able to produce the viking and thor. What does the Thor use for weapons? Two huge gauss rail guns!

17. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    I have not been flaming...
    I have said why i think the idea isn't good... and I have said that the Wraith is Terran like (especially for those who knows Boxer)...
    But if you cant take critique then leave...
    It took some time for me to learn that to gain respect on this forum you need to accept other opinions...

18. aMp

aMp New Member

I am accepting your opinions...the ones you back up.

You are not backing up what you said, you just said you think it sucks.

And there you just sarcastically denied my opinion without any reasoning.

19. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    The Name seems bad, especially with the new Nordic-theme...
    Raven would be better (or Odin-Raven)

20. aMp

aMp New Member

Okay dude. Now that we've established that you don't like my unit, at all, and you don't think I have a brain, let's explain to everyone why you think it's bad, or just stop posting in this thread. Because what you're doing isn't productive.