The Space Lounge problem

Discussion in 'Forum Information, Questions and Feedback' started by Meee, Mar 10, 2009.

The Space Lounge problem

1. Meee

Meee New Member

Poland
    I brought this up already in several more or less related topics, but I believe we need to just come up with a solution once and for good. The problem of course is categorazation of some social boards and which topics can go where.
    Here is how I understand the original thinking behind Lounge and SJ's creation:

Lounge, as used to be said in it's description, is a board for rest and relaxation. Basically the general off-topic board that almost every forum has. It contains topics with meaning that don't fit in other categories. Serious or not, as long as the topic's intention isn't bringing postcount up, it's good to go here.

Space Junk on the other hand is obviously for spam. Posts and topics that aren't supposed to make sense and "+1 posts" meaning those containing an emoticon, "yes", "I agree", etc. It's also place for adverstising and posting games. This means games like countdowns, three word stories, hurt&heals etc. that are born and bound to the structure of forums. (You wouldn't find those on chats, IMs, or your table)
    Roleplaying does NOT count as posting game
    I believe the reason behind SJ's creation was to not give minerals for inconstructive spamming moreso than to not raise postcount from it.

Recently however, this started changing (or was it just me that misunderstood it in the first place?) in direction of Lounge being used almost exclusively for serious discussions and all non-serious topics and actual social things being dumped into Space Junk where they get spammed into oblivion.

One of the mods mentioned in some topic that they were thinking of restructuring the forum to ammend that situation. The result so far, which I can only hope is temporary, is here:
    The Lounge
    "Forum for the disscussion of all things that are serious and non-video game related. Get away from the games and immerse yourself in deep, meaningful conversations. Think critically and have some good old fashion debates with others."

What does this mean? It means that we now have whole section for social and related discussions without actual social board in it! In my opinion this should be fixed and soon. I don't like the idea of having mods hurry up in work they do for free in their free time, but this (temporary, right?) solution really threw me off.

Some possible solutions from the top of my head include:
    -Bringing the old Lounge back
    -Making a new Lounge from scratch and the old one renamed into serious discussion board
    -Making Space Junk a social board with all regular priviliges and a child board for spam.
    Whichever way you choose to solve this, if the current Lounge is to remain a serious discussion board, it really needs a name change.

PS: We could try and find a solution for the roleplaying problem while we're at it.
    One thing I'd like to point out are Fenix' interactive stories threads. They are very close to roleplaying and no one had a problem with them staying in The Arts seciton, so why do some insist on dumping RP together with posting games?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  2. Light

Light Guest

YES

3. KuraiKozo

KuraiKozo New Member

Uranus lol =D
    I like the idea of this, sticky'd

4. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

what's hurt&heals?

5. Meee

Meee New Member

Poland
    Think of our Battle Royale topics, it's pretty much the same thing.

Thanks for sticky Kurai

6. Meee

Meee New Member

Poland
    Thanks for input everybody, I really appreciate it.

7. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Does this topic really need to be stickied?

Anywyas anyone who has paid attantion to what I have typed (which no one does) would know that I have always been against the general spam in SJ. I see it as an off topic forum, and from what I remember, that's what the description originally mentioned.

Id like to see the lounge oficcially become the general discussion area, with subsections for different areas of discussion (politics, and religion could probably use a section of its own), some more serious than others. Spacejunk would become the general off topic forum for general chat and random banter, inside will bee two subsections, one for posting games, the other would be for random spam.

As for an RP forum, I'd like one, but I'm not sure where to put it. maybe in the fanfiction, maybe in arts (though the fanfiction could potentially go IN arts and would do well to be changed into general storytime and not just blizzard related.)

8. Space Pirate Rojo

Space Pirate Rojo New Member

Canada, eh?
    I'd be for that.

And I've completely quit using Space Junk as a general Spam Land.

...Don't really make new topics anymore in it.

9. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    How about this:
    - Lounge: any casual talk about non-gaming subjects , no real discussions only opinions , post count on , only mods when needed
    - Space Junk: anything goes , discussions you start here can get spammed so use for posting games etc. , post count off , no mod supervision
    -*New*: The Conclave: serious non-gaming subjects , discussions only , post count on , with mod supervision

Why? No child boards, they need two clicks and that seems to much for most people. -check totorial board or other forums, almost no topics in child boards- Space Junk has become a spam land synonym. -like console and playstation in the media- We need the old Lounge. There is need for a disussion board, people need clarity of where to go for real debates. I want to be a mod and this creates an opportunity. -Nah, more something like BoP might like, and has experience with, sort of.-

10. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Well the whole point of making spam land a subsection of space junk is for the very reason that it is out of the way. Not being on the forum index, it can be ignored by everyone who doesn't expressly want to go there.

Anyways heres what I think should be done with social and discussion.

Social will have the following sections
    Debates and discussions will be for serious discussions and debates (this law sucks /discuss)
    The lounge will be for casual discussions (cake or pie)
    Space junk will be the off topic section (Sup gais, I'm back, owee, I stubbed my toe)
    -hidden from view in a subsection will be spam land
    -Possibly also as a subsection, a posting game section (^<v, countdown)
    Introduce yourself
    questions and tech support

Split off from social will be Arts and Media, In that section will be
    the graphics section (photoshop)
    arts section (sculpture, painting, drama)
    Media (TV, music, movies)
    stories and fanfiction (add non blizzard fiction)
    role playing.

There should probably be a mod for each area (1 for social, one for media) Space Junk would be moderated, but spam land and posting games won't unless someone is being a ****.

11. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    So you want to create about 3 extra sections to make things less complex? I'm confused already just from reading that, but it could be just me. :s

12. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Yes a few sections would be created,

The lounge should fit its name and be for casual discussions, for the serious stuff a new section would be created. Space junk would be split into an off topic section and a spam section.

As for the other ones, thats just a broadening of the fanfiction section, and adding an RP section (which was basicly the request that sparked this whole SJ sucks discussion.)

13. Meee

Meee New Member

Poland
    Not quite, the SJ sucks thing was voiced several times before RP board topic.

Meee approves BoP's suggestions. Additionaly, if they get implemented and don't work quite well, we can just blame it on BoP.

14. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Well, if you want to make any real suggestions, format them properly and post them here, because the changes might be closer then you think. Seriously.

*evil laughter*