The Protoss lack a real artillery unit- what do you think?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by merkavam4, Sep 17, 2007.

The Protoss lack a real artillery unit- what do you think?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by merkavam4, Sep 17, 2007.

1. merkavam4

merkavam4 New Member

It looks like even in SC2, the Protoss dont have a real artillery unit- the Reaver doesnt belong to that classification- in the classic point of view- you just move him close enough to a target, then you need to BUILD its ammunition rather than just use it like ANY other combat unit in the game, and fire- the Reaver cant shoot from a sufficient distance and above all, cant shoot in a high-arcing ballistic trajectories- a classic role of the artillery.

Even the new Warpray, which is considered an artillery(or heavy fire support) unit doesnt have a very long range, but its a flying unit so it balances the situation.

What do you think?

2. kenshin72

kenshin72 New Member

Artilleries does not really fits protoss instead we have the immortals and the stalkers where it tanks while the other scouts/harass/ and possibly kill whoever they wanna kill. They fight in different way. If there is an artillery unit then its going to be no different from terrans. This is just my opinion i expect people to have different thoughts

3. Quanta

Quanta New Member

Agree with kenshin, artillery isn't really the Protoss's thing. They are more into strong units storming the enemy defenses with strong units whereas the Terran are more into pummeling from a distance with the big guns while lesser units keep the enemy from getting to the tanks. The Zerg just zerg the enemy. Each race has its own style and that is what makes the game great.

4. string_me_along

string_me_along New Member

It seems, however, that because of their massive losses because of the loss of Auir, the protoss my develop some sort of Artillery. This is why I really hope the reaver comes back (and is improved). The Colossus can take out a lot of units, but you can't drop it like the Reaver. The Scarabs can fly around even after you've picked up the reaver and moved on.

5. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    The Protoss have never historically had a "real" long-range unit.

They use the Carrier, etc... Some units use ranged attack that are slightly longer than most units, but you're not going to see something like the Seige Tank's range because that would take away from the Terran's unique mechanic.

6. DontHate

DontHate New Member

eh, i thought the reaver's range was fine. longer than all static defenses, which is really all u need to siege, that with a powerful attack.

but now the toss have warp rays, which i find to be siege units as well, good for taking out buildings. it doesn't really matter about range... i mean the batteringram didn't have range but it was siege.

7. Darth_Bane

Darth_Bane Moderator

Seattle, Washington USA
    Oh great this is going to turn out as a debate you might as well add a poll to while you are at it so it is actually recordable.

But I think the Protoss are fine without an artillary unit that is more of a Terran thing only I meen not even the Zerg would have a unit like that. Artillary for Protoss? NO. Long Range unit with a punch for Protoss? YES. I just don't want a SUPER SLOW unit like the Reaver (the only unit I hated using in the toss arsenal).

8. string_me_along

/\ use a shuttle to bus them around. It's much quicker, you can go over obstacles and the reaver does intense amount of damage. The warp ray feels to vulnerable for me. And I would like something that doesn't get hit by Anti Aircraft fire (Colossus, Mothership and Warp Ray all do). I'd like to see a ground base heavy damage unit like the reaper. While it's not 'artilery' because it doesn't have an arc of fire like other units would, it still fulfills the same roll in most cases.

9. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    If the Warp ray can fire from outside the range of static defense it i fine if not make it so

10. NateSMZ

NateSMZ New Member

I don't think the Protoss should necessarily have an artillery unit. It'd be nice to keep the idea that each faction fights in different ways, based on their nature.

Terrans are toothless, clawless, thin-skinned, weak creatures.... and so their main concern is figuring out ways to blast their enemies from a distance.

Protoss are similar to humans, but they use energy to prevent harm to themselves and strike directly at their enemies. This projected mind energy does not work as effectively at great distances unless it represents a communal effort. It is far easier to focus on nearer points... so the Protoss don't really need, and shouldn't really have a true artillery unit. They fight differently.

11. Anubis_theDark

Anubis_theDark New Member

Why not give the protoss a short range siege unit - like the ancient ram - would have a verry strong armor that can take alot of dmg from static defences but onces it gets close to the structure it fires some sort of high dmg energy weapon that cuts through structure plateing like a knife through butter. It would be like a protosish future ram.

12. surr

surr New Member

warp rays they pretty good range,, i think... they do good damage v structures

13. moobox

moobox Member

I consider the Immortal an artillery unit personally. Robotic crab walking unit that has hardened shields and disruptor cannons. Pretty artillery if you ask me.

14. string_me_along

/\ but it's not artillery at all in range or damage.

15. Trooper_Lozer

Trooper_Lozer New Member

Warp Ray, that is like artillery. Maybe not the classic example, but then again what did zerg have??? Guardian, thats basicaly a warp ray right there... so i mean they dont have to be like terran warp rays.

16. kenshin72

kenshin72 New Member

17. string_me_along

Really, I want something not susceptible to turrets and spore colonies. The reaver was able to do that, depending on support. In that case, the closest thing the protoss have to artillery is the Carrier. If the warp ray is going to be the artillery I want it to be able to fire out of static defense range. But I would prefer something that was not sensitive to AA. You can't drop a colossus like you would drop a reaver.

and @ kenshin: it looks like a crazy upgraded zealot. I think it was supposed to be in starcraft ghost... I think. Does anyone know what it was supposed to do?

18. Vindicatormsc

Vindicatormsc New Member

i am pretty sure the Vindicator was no siege unit.that big cannon he had was powerfull,but no siege weapon(i saw some videos of it firing it),so no,i don't think the Vindicator would be good for a siege unit...

19. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

Colossus is the closest thing Protoss needs to an artilery unit, anything with a longer range will make the race too strong.

20. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Please tell me why does everyone think the colossus is the new heavy hitter? Its an anti infantry weapon. The Warp ray is the heavy hitter unit