The Null-Flux Generator

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by 1n5an1ty, Mar 22, 2009.

The Null-Flux Generator

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by 1n5an1ty, Mar 22, 2009.

1. 1n5an1ty

1n5an1ty Member

Reality
    That was an old colossus upg.
    How about making it a general upgrade?

Null-Flux Generator (Ground)
    +20 shields to all ground units per lvl
    Requires: L1 shields, Templar Archives
    L1: 400 minerals 375 gas
    L2: 550 min 525 gas
    L3: 700 min 675 gas

Null-Flux Generator (Air)
    Requires: Stargate, Templar Archives
    Same resources as Ground Null-Flux

And maybe an upgrade for higher rate of shield regen? (as I stated in protoss Sheild Omnidiscussion)

2. Cotcan

Cotcan New Member

Well other than seriously unbalancing the game, that would make the protoss murder the other races. Anyways no one is going to really use it.

3. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    Why would no one use an upgrade that is so good it makes protoss imbalanced?

I don't like it, shield upgrades should be like armour upgrades not just increase the shield points, and a higher regeneration rate is imho unnecessary because of the already increased out of combat regen compared to brood war.

4. Kaaraa

Kaaraa Space Junkie

United States

You'd more than double a Zealot's shield points with full upgrades. That alone is a big fat "No" to this idea.

5. Cotcan

Cotcan New Member

No one would use it because, when they research it, they have to let them selves open to the other player. Why? Because they don't have the cash for armies.

6. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    I'd much rather this upgrade change (gr?) the attack animation. There'd be no money I wouldn't pay for it.

On a more serious note, +1 to fat no, even if it sounds logical lorewise. There'll be countless other upgrades to busy ourselves.

7. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    Cotcan, what you are saying:

1 - The upgrade would overpower all the units, so a player that researches it would have an unfair advantage, and likely win.
    2 - The upgrade would be so expensive that if a player researches it, they would have an unfair disadvantage, and likely lose.

You're basically saying it is the case that A is true and not-A is true, which is logically impossible.

8. Cotcan

Cotcan New Member

I'm saying that it will be a huge risk in researching it, because you won't have much money to use on armies to defend, and attack. Plus it would unbalance everything. The probe would be able to kill a marine, 1 on 1. It wouldn't lose that much hp ether. What I'm saying is blizzard would never do it. It would give the person a huge advantage when it is done researching, but when you start researching you can get killed easier. Does that make any more since 10-Neon?

9. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    Wait, doesn't; overpowered + underpowered = balanced?

Yes it is a big risk, the game is all about taking big risks.

10. Kimera757

Kimera757 New Member

As written, it's overpowered, regardless of cost.

Upgrades need to be specific. At the very least, this upgrade needs to give a set amount of shield points per unit, and coding that is probably impossible (since there will be numerous NPC units, some of which will be protoss).

11. 1n5an1ty

1n5an1ty Member

Reality
    Wat do u mean NPC? like in campaigns?

how about +4/5 shields per upgrade, doesnt affect immortals nor archons

air version, +4/5 per lvl, doesnt affect Motherships, carriers get +5 for lvls 2 and 3

Also, lets says it only costs
    L1 -> 350 min 300 gas, L2 -> 475 min 450 gas L3-> 600 min 575 gas
    Air version, all resources -50?

what do you mean coding it is probably impossible?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  12. Cotcan

Cotcan New Member

The upgrade just makes the protoss really super buff. The Terran and the Zerg will be mass murdered.

13. Kimera757

Kimera757 New Member

Yes, and custom units (you can make those in Warcraft III).

No. Zealots have a lot fewer shield points than colossi. Maybe you could just boost shield point percentages; that seems easiest.

air version, +4/5 per lvl, doesnt affect Motherships, carriers get +5 for lvls 2 and 3

Moot if you do things by percentages. (Coding would have been impossible if you needed a different value for every unit, including new custom units.)

14. Cotcan

Cotcan New Member

That's all true, but it would still give the protoss a huge advantage. If I was balancing SC2, then I would never have this in there. So blizzard will never go for this idea, unless you can think of a counter, or the same thing for the other races.

15. Kimera757

Kimera757 New Member

I'm not saying it's a good idea. I'm just saying that's the only way it can work with a semblance of balance ... IMO.

16. 1n5an1ty

1n5an1ty Member

Reality
    Well it costs a lot of resources. Gas is now finite making it even more costly. It would be up to the player whether or not he/she would take a risk to buff up units. And no i dont think percentages would work anyways.
    How about, instead of adding additional shield points, it adds a different"layer" of shields, in purple text. Rge layer would then regen at the same rate in Starcraft Original, but only if the unit's actual shields are full.

17. Cotcan

Cotcan New Member

Well it's too close to beta. So they aren't going to be put in. Try getting it into the expansion.

18. 1n5an1ty

1n5an1ty Member

Reality
    No its not. btw this was just an idea for a buff to unists after i found out that the colossus used to have a null-flux generator upgrade

Putting it in the expansions would be nice though :D

19. Cotcan

Cotcan New Member

But is still too late. They are only balancing now. They won't add anything in. Unless it balances the game. This would throw it off balance. So blizzard won't go for it. Try making some changes. Maybe not some much shield pts. Then you might have a shot.

20. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    Has everyone forgotten that this is exactly how upgrading attacks go for units? Simply go look in star edit and there is an attack bonus value for every unit and attack in the game, the same is also true in the wc3 editor. If blizzard wanted to implent something gave a varying about of health on a unit by unit basis I imagine it would be trivial to setup by comparisson to a lot of other things. The values in the OP would obviously need to be tweaked for balancing purposes but the general idea is solid and remember Marines get a health bonus along with the Colosuss (or it did at one point...) so its not like giving units bonus hp/sp is new thing as far as upgrades go.