The new Overlord

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Aurora, Mar 11, 2008.

?

Do you like the new Overlord?

1. Yes, and all of its new aditions.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, but not the Overseer upgrade.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes, but not its new abilities.

100.0%
  4. Yes, but it should get its old ability to transport back again.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. No, all of it is crappy.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

The new Overlord

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Aurora, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    [img width=141 height=138]http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t228/Shadowshiner/overlordrender.jpg[/img][img width=140 height=141]http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t228/Shadowshiner/overlordrender2.jpg[/img]​

With all of the new info on the overlord, I thought it would be nice to compile it all into a new topic for further discussion, instead of making a new topic for every little color change, stat change or other stuff like that. ;)

Enjoy! :thumbup:

The Facts:

- Control:
    - The Overlord still has the role of keeping the swarm under control. Ingame this means that your unit Control Limit will be increased with every Overlord you build. The Overlord does not need to be controlled, so you can build as many of them as you want.

- Evolve:
    - New to the Overlord is the ability it has to evolve into an overseer unit. This is basically an overlord with the ability to detect, an ability which is no longer available to the Overlord at this moment.

- Cover Minerals/buildings in goo:
    - There might also be an ability that enables the Overlord to poor its goo over minerals, making them impossible to mine, but this seems like an unbalanced ability, since the Overlord can be build an unlimited amount of times. However, this might be solved by giving this ability to the Overseer, the evolution of the Overlord that probably will take up some Supply Limit points.

The guesses:

- Produce Creep:
    - As you already might have noticed, there are several screens available of the Overlord spilling some kind of liquid on the floor below it. This might be Creep. This would mean that it is possible that a player can produce Creep wherever they want. A cropped picture of it spilling the liquid can be found here.

- Infest:
    - The liquid that the Overlord seems to produce also looks very similar to what the Infestor unit uses to infest Terran buildings. However, it is very unlikely that this is what it does, since it would make the Infestor almost obsolete, even while the Infestor is much more stealthier. The point is that units with overlapping roles in Starcraft seem to be adjusted and even removed from time to time. The overlapping mostly happen when a new unit is released and then adjusted later on. Creating a unit that overlaps directly seems very unlikely and a stupid thing to do.

- Poison:
    - It is known that the new Queen unit has the ability to produce poisonous Creep somehow. This might also be available to the Overlord, but in another style. For example, the Overlord can instantly create new Creep and the Queen can only poison existing Creep. This makes sense, since the Queen seems to need Creep for its Deep Tunneling ability. It wouldn't make sense if she could create it by herself, because the unit could use the Tunneling anywhere that way.

- Attack:
    - It seems that the Overlord will get some kind of attack. This might be related to the liquid it produces. Maybe it is supposed to make ground units suffocate, or maybe it is some kind of acid that can even eat away metal. But an attack like that would make little sense, since it is spilling all of the stuff on the floor next to the enemy units in the screenshots. However, it surely is a nice idea if I may say so. ;)

This topic will be updated regulary when new information is released.
    The credit for the nice units pictures at the top of the page go to ced who did an amazing job with his visual guide to the Zerg army.

Remember, this information is not final in any way. Blizzard is likely to change things and listen to the community to find out what we want to see changed, so feel free to discuss. :D

2. DE.50

DE.50 New Member

Washington
    I remember reading about some ability one of them has that disrupts workers from gather minerals, whether it is on the overseer or overlord I don't know.

3. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Umm wouldn't that be OP since you can spam them.

The only abiltiies the Overlord has which I know is to produce creep.

4. DE.50

DE.50 New Member

Washington
    well if all of your overlords/overseers are hanging over a mineral line and you aren't shooting them down you deserve to lose.

5. Meee

Meee New Member

Poland
    I think you will find something lacking when trying to sunken rush

It may have something to do with there not being cololnies in the game

6. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Overlord - Upgraded
    - Can no longer detect invisible/burrowed units.
    - New ability: Can neutralize resources or neutral posts.
    - Can create small creeps.

7. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

I'd imagine that giving the Overlord an attack and/or disruptive ability like this is inherently unbalanced, as the Overlord is the only unit in the game that can be produced in unlimited numbers. The ONLY way this could be effectively balanced (I'll bet this is what Blizzard will do if they haven't already) is to make all attacking and disrupting abilities solely available with the Overseer, while at the same time making the Overseer upgrade cost supply on top of the resources.

8. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    Even though the overlord loses it's detection ability, the queen has an ability that creates a calldown structure that has detection and enlarges the attack range of units that the queen spawns from eggs.

9. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    You are probably right about that ninerman13. The Overseer will almost definitely cost supply, since the other evolutions seem to take up extra supply too.

@Meee
    Lol, you are right. But why should the Overlord, or any unit, be ably to produce Creep anywhere on the map then? It just has no real function at this moment. Just think of it: you produce all of your units at a Hive (or any of its lesser evolutions) and all of the other buildings do practically nothing, except for providing new building options and upgrades. So why would you want to quickly make another building than a Hatchery somewhere on the map? Hatchery can produce it's own Creep anyway.

However, there is one option we haven't thought of yet. The Queen can make other buildings attack. All buildings. So it might be a good strategy to quickly build some Spawning Pools or something near an enemy base, use the Deep Tunneling ability of your Queen and let the structures support your attack on the opponent.

Any opinions on this tactic? It is much like the bunkering that the Terrans use, or the Photon/Phase Cannon rush of the Protoss. I like it already. :D

@EonMaster
    And you probably will be needing Creep to quickly get your Queen to your base.

10. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    Why would your queen be away from your base so early in the game? It's fairly weak in its first stage, so it should stay back at your base to control the defences since you no longer have sunkerns to do that.

11. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    I think the OL should stay pretty normal, i dont want every unit to have some kind of special abbility. But i like the overseer, works a bit like the oracle in AOM!

12. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    @EonMaster

You have a good point there. I forgot about the different stages of the Queen's evolutions.
    But you might want to try a quick rush in some maps, especially on a 1 vs 1 map. The enemy will probably be to busy with countering your assault to launch an attack at your own base.

By the way, I have added a little poll and edited the first post. It now includes the mineral corrupting ability too. If someone can tell me it's not present in the real game, then please tell me. I will move it to the guesses part in that case.

13. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    I think some of the abilities should be removed (depending on which are in ofc) so it would be like this:
    Overlord:
    Slime that makes minerals unusable 3 charges 30 sec CD. The slime last in 30-60sec. Perhaps this is a bit OP but i like the idea.
    Overseer:
    Detector with the "oracle ability".

14. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    What is an Oracle. I'm sorry but I have never played Age Of Mythology, if that's what your are referring to. ???

15. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    A scout. When it stands still the sight range increases from very small to very big!

16. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Sounds like a pretty useful unit. :)
    But I don't think that fits the overseer, it uses some kind of psionic stuff to sense invisible units, so it doesn't really have to "look more closely". =

17. God of War

God of War New Member

Evolving to the overseer unit I say gives more balance to the game, than in SC pretty imba to start out wit a detector and later on a detector and a personel carrier ;D Thoug it depends on when in the game in you get this upgrade... or?

Sux that the overlord is gonna take up supply space imo :-X, then theres less units to build on when playing zerg you wanna swarm as much as possible hehe :good:... Covering minerals damn thats gonna turn some heads want to try it before i go runing my mouth but sounds pretty cool

About the Creep theory :eek:, wouldnt it be to good to be true come on this I think might give the zerg to much advantage and that the overlord has to many "gimmicks" for such a unit..
    Pretty nice though if the overlord could defend its self just a little bit, instead of creep theory I would like if it made it to the final realease.

Over all cant wait for more Zerg info, litterally dying to get more facts :good:

18. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    I just read somewhere that it would work on that way...

19. Smokiehunter

Smokiehunter New Member

I don't like the idea of the overlord taking up supply space, but I do think you should have to pay extra for it to become a detector.
    What I don't want the most is for the overlord to be given an attack. This gets rid of any sort of harassment. the zerg for the most part have large buildings that take a lot to take down. protos have pylons that are easy enough to destroy and halt production. Terran even have week towers and now fast expansions will be a prime target for base raids. But take away the overlord and other than economy raids you wont be able to disrupt the zerg. even more then ever now that the queen has the ability to travel any where on the creep.

In short I want the zerg to stay an offensive, rush, week units but tunes of them type of race instead of the defensive race I see them turning into.

20. Raylito

Raylito New Member

They are like zeppelins.. They should be allowed to blow up like a huge zeppelin..causing damage.