The New Lurker!

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Prodigal, Mar 10, 2008.

The New Lurker!

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Prodigal, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Prodigal

Prodigal New Member

http://www.sc2armory.com/images/misc/zerg/ss2.jpg

After carefully analyzing this new pic, we see the new Lurker. Apparently the attacking Lurker is only half burrowed, with its back exposed, meaning it won't be invisible! Does this mean the Lurker will have higher HP, armor or a longer range attack? ^_^

2. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    I think the Lurkers are still invisible, but to the owner, instead of being an enormous hole in the ground, they appear half burrowed to make them easier to see.

3. Prodigal

Prodigal New Member

Thats possible. But its also possible that it is visible, seeing as that many units have gone under heavy role change (like the queen and Ultra). A slow, "sieged", anti-infantry unit in the Zerg army would have its place.

4. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    True. But if they were visible they wouldn't be so useful anymore, since it was their burrow that was so dangerous. It's no fun setting up an ambush with Lurkers if they can see them a mile away.

5. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    if the lurkers r visable to the enemies without detection i will damn blizzard to whatever hell they believe in for corrupting my precious Lurkers!!! :furious: >:D

now that thats out of the way im am so happy that they r in the game ;D

if they r visable to the opponets then they will have to compensate with either faster burrow, more health, or higher attack power. thats what i think.

6. -LT-

-LT- New Member

The Zerg are finally revealed! The infestation has begun!
    The lurkers look great! I can't wait to see all other units.

7. Meee

Meee New Member

Poland
    Am I the only one who doesn't like the lurker? I didn't even realize it was lurker until I've seen someone say it -.-

8. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    I think the new design is interesting, but as Meee said, I didn't even know it was a lurker until it was pointed out.

9. Prodigal

Prodigal New Member

Wick, its true that the Lurker ambush might not be feasible. However you will forget all about the lurker ambush when you ambush them 10 gargantuan Ultras, tearing their way out of their ground, decimating their entire force as it foolishly traverses over their hiding spot. :eek:

10. deaff

deaff New Member

I really don't like the look of the new lurker and roach. Firstly they look too similar to each other, i can barely see the difference. Secondly they both look like crap, way too cartoonish even for my taste. I agree with meee, when i first saw them - i thought wtf is that supposed to be. Thirdly, they just don't look 'zergish' enough.

11. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    I love the Lurker. I don't see how people can say that it doesn't look Zergish. I dunno about their visibility while Burrowed, it could go either way. However, it wouldn't make total sense if an Ultralisk or Queen could completely conceal itself underground while a Lurker cannot, but then again, the Ultralisk and Queen wouldn't be attacking.
    About the Roach. I love the idea behind it. It having such a high regeneration rate that you'll need sustained firepower to take it down. It'd be great for when you've overrun their base and they start sending their frech-out-of-the-Barracks Marines at you one at a time. Marines shoots at it, Roach kills Marine, Roach regenerates health, new Marine emerges. Marine shoots, Roach kills, Roach regenerates, Marine emerges. What a lovely cycle. I'm not too sure about its appearance though. It's not that it looks look much like the Lurker, however I have to say that I didn't realise they were different units at first glance and thought that the Lurker got a normal melee attack, it's more its attack animation. It looks way too uncoordinated and weird. Here's a picture:
    [img width=123 height=113]http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee72/itzahexgor/roach.jpg[/img]
    Anyway, that was a bit off topic, but I really do like the new Lurker.

12. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    You're talking about the Roach in the Lurker thread. Come on man. ;)

But I don't like the Lurker either, it looks like a little compact ball with legs. Its attack is very poor so far, I'm guessing it will change but as of now the Lurker doesn't match up to the original Lurker.

Allowing the Lurker to be seen just comes away completly of what the Lurker is supposed to be, also note they gave it extra range. My guess is they changed it becuase of the Jackal, which I dislike happening.

Also why do the Lurker look almost the same as Roaches?

In reality anything which relies on burrowing wouldn't be all bulky like the Lurker is now, it would be streamlined to effectivly burrow. I hope Blizzard acknowledges this.

The Lurkers attack really looks poor, it needs sharp spikes which point upwards, not shark fins.

This is the one Zerg unit I am displeased with concerning design and ability.

13. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    I really like the new lurker. It looks way more dangerous now with all those spikes. It fits the lurker better, although I do think they are a bit to wide for creatures that should be able to burrow really fast. They should be shaped a bit more like the Hydralisk in my opinion.

Also, why are they still visible really good when burrowed? It looks cool, but it's hard to imagine that it is invisible to enemy troops if it comes to the knees of a marine. They could even trip over it. ;)

@that picture
    That is probably the Roach, but I really hate the name of that unit. It is supposed to be a very fast and agile melee unit that regenerates at a high rate, but it doesn't seem to agile in my opinion. Either way, if the description is accurate, wouldn't that make the Roach just a large version of the Zergling?
    [/off topic]

14. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Yeah sorry about that. It was kinda related at first, but then I went on a complete tangent.
    @Fo®Saken. I'm not actually a big fan of the Hyrdalisk, I hope that the Lurker isn't changed to resemble it more. I reckon it looks great as it is. There are still a few things that need to be answered about it, like its visibility when Burrowed, but it's looking pretty competent so far. At the moment I'm leaning towards the 'it's only visible by the controlling player' side of things. Unless it could out-range most units, like the Siege Tank, it's silly to have it immobilised but visible.
    I think that the image is definitely the Roach. I don't think that it's supposed to be fast and agile, just have a high regeneration. I like the concept, but the visuals could be better.

15. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    The Lurker also doesn't look anything like the Hydralisk, you'd thing the Lurker would slightly resemble the Hydralisk instead of a beetle.

16. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Depends if it still evolves from it. I don't really like the Hydralisk at the moment. It looks too spindly. If the Lurker is going to end up semi-resembling the Hydralisk, I'd like the Hydralisk to be the one that gets changed.

17. AcE_01

AcE_01 Active Member

Australia
    but if you guys check out the video..the lurker burrows straight away, has increase range (looks like it) and yeah....maybe tahts why they can be seen.

and (lorewise) they need to look where the enemy is to aim. back in sc1 i never knew how the lurkers knew where the enemy was...

18. Ayzee

Ayzee New Member

Sweden
    I'm going to agree with thinking that the lurker IS invisible burrowed.

In the video, the "player" is without a doubt in controll of the Zerg. (Seeing the Infestors move underground, the burrowed ultras, the placing of nydus worms etc.) Considering this - It's a great move from Blizz to actually make the lurkers visable to the player himself to avoid confusion with other large, burrowed units.

19. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    Lurkers sense the vibrations in the Earth to help them move and aim. They can also hear, though not very well. No need for eyes ;)

20. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Beat me to it lol

I wish the Hydralisk looked like it's cinematic model.