The lurker

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Bthammer45, Feb 21, 2010.

?

Lurker in SC2 multiplayer?

1. Yes

12 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    33.3%

The lurker

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Bthammer45, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Bthammer45

Bthammer45 New Member

Do you want to see the lurker make a comeback?

As of right now I hear that blizzard is just tweaking the unit and plans to bring it back in some time in the beta.

If they could somehow make it a tier 2.5 unit and balance the other units I think it would open up a lot of strategy for the zerg and also even out the roaster for them.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  2. FFenix

FFenix New Member

The purpose of the lurker in sc1 was to take down mm and zealots mainly. Now hydras are no longer weak against zealots and there are no more early medics. The purpose in sc2 for a lurker is very foggy.

In my opinion, we need another caster, or a buffed infestor. While toss have sentiels, and HTs, and terrans have ghost and raven. What do zergs have? Queen and infestor? Queen is more of the macro mechanic than a caster and infestor's first ability sucks, while I haven't really tested out the mind control thing much since it only last for 10 secs. My apms sucks too much for that.

3. Bthammer45

Bthammer45 New Member

The lurker in sc2 (not sc1) was set up mainly for siege style attacks but cost for cost the ultralisk has it beat as the tier 3 choice for that.

hydras still have 80 health they just do more damage.

Id love to see the lurker come back in as a tier 2.5 unit as long as they balanced it with the other units.

Zerg don"t need another caster because they already have 2 (queen is the other and overlord/overseer have other abilities like that) and the infestor will get buffed during beta play. Its like what day 5.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  4. cautionmike_190

cautionmike_190 New Member

Philippines
    definetly YES it`s a SC classic unit

5. Rebel Head

Rebel Head New Member

Virginia
    Perhaps the overseer should be buffed into a caster, given new abilities rather than simply being a detector and able to spawn changlings. I liked the spore cloud ability for it, was nice :D I agree with you that the infestor is too weak ... needs better abilities.

6. Ballistixz

Ballistixz New Member

if lurkers were brought back i can see how much of a powerfull unit they can become. with improved pathing alot of terran and toss players clump up into a nice ball which will be great for the lurkers splash dmg especially if the lurkers have siege range.

this is probaly why they took out lurkers. and plague aswell from the infestor seeing as how u can plague the entire army of someone. but it makes if that really is the case on why plauge and lurkers were removed then it makes no sense. why not remove storm/emp/hunter seeker missile as well?

7. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    @Ballistixz. You think they took out Lurkers because they didn't know how to reduce the splash radius or damage? Really now.

8. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    Bring back mah Lurkers!!!!!

Anyway, yes, I would like Lurkers to be back. The only problem is how to make it fit in the game. Primarily they were used to fight against a mass of low hp units. But now we have the Banelings to take that job(actually it seems that the Roaches takes the Banelings job for low skilled players... not sure about the high end ones).

9. Bthammer45

Bthammer45 New Member

I can totally see them being a support unit versus heavy as a tier 2.5 kind of like the immortal does for the protoss and the siege tank for the terran.

I think the biggest problem was that they where a tier 3 unit and that for the zerg is kind of hard unless you push it in longer games.

10. Gardian_Defender

Gardian_Defender New Member

Oregon_USA
    Then it would basicly copie the terran raven (a flying detecter/support caster)

Then how do you explian them not taking out seige tanks?

11. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    People are gonna be so pissed if they add Lurkers in an expansion... :p

12. Ballistixz

Ballistixz New Member

well dustin said they took them out because they were "to powerful" and needed more tweaking. he said both lurkers and siege tanks were hard to balance out in there builds and why siege tanks was ultimatly nerfed along with storm. so i can only assume this is why lurkers were taken out. almost all of the aoe/splash skills were nerfed.

so i just assumed that they were taken out to do some nerfing. they have not taken out permanently and mentioned they will be put back in a later build in beta to be tested.

if lurks had siege range then i can easily see them taking out a huge clump of units alot more easily then tanks. all it would take is about 12+ of them and it would be extremly hard for someone to push a zerg army with siege range lurkers. and unlike tanks lurkers are/were cloaked siege range units so it would be alot harder to target them from such a distance.

so yes, that is why i think they took them out for tweaking. why else would he say lurkers would be to strong? dustin said that they kept playing with them and playing with them and stated that lurks were still very powerful no matter what they did with them or what tier they put them at.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  13. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    I don't see why they'd get siege range anyway, they already have the brood lord. Then again, I don't see how they couldn't balance the lurker out for the first version of the beta either. Make it exactly like in BW and tweak its burrowing speed, hitpoints, and damage, without shifting it in tier. I know it's easier said than done but I think if they had left it in they would've got more feedback and possible solutions.

14. Mattbaumann777

Mattbaumann777 New Member

I always put lurkers all over my base in case I get dropped. It's nice to be able to set up a trap for them. Plus my main defence against ground armies is based on Lurkers. That's terrible there are no Lurkers in the game.

15. foochen

foochen Guest

Blizzard give me my LUKER back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    if they're that powerful give then a huge cost, like cost the amount of an ultralisk or something? plus the cost of the hydraslisk, and maybe give it upgrades like seige range, maybe attack speed, burrow speed, maybe creep could effect its burrow time and you could do that nydus thing and burrow them since the nydus creates creep. but i guess that would also be overpowered as well T_T.

or just give back the same old lurker at same teir, attack speed, etc and do what kuvasz said that would work to i guess.

and yes things are easyer said then done but blizzard has had like 5 or 6 years since they started the game so they could have at least put in a months work on the lurker. and not mentioning that they now have a bazillion people on the beta thingy that you could require them to give some comments of each race every month or after every patch or something.
    Either way blizz has the resources but they aren't seeming to use them or they are just waiting for something.

17. Mattbaumann777

Mattbaumann777 New Member

I'm pretty disappointed Lurkers have been removed. I like the idea of having more units to choose from rather than less units. You can be more creative when you have a variety of units at your command. I think they should have just reduced the damage or increased the cost. I want the Zerg to have some sort of tank-like unit such as the Lurker, or even some sort of insect or plant creature that would lob projectiles a great distance while planted in the ground. I used Lurkers in every game I played on Bnet.

18. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    Also its seems that you need unit diversity so if they're ganna take units out its ganna take away some diversity. but i guess if the role is already being taken place of then its kind of a pointless unit.

but I think blizz should make an exception in this case. lurkers FTW!