The Firebat

Discussion in 'Terran' started by DKutrovsky, Jul 9, 2007.

The Firebat

Discussion in 'Terran' started by DKutrovsky, Jul 9, 2007.

1. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

Im hearing that the reapers get an upgrade that allows them to use flame throwers.

I know they have duel-wield pistols, and maybe one was for fire, but i just thought they were going old school cowboy shooting 2 pistols at once.

I cant seem to find that vid with reapers shooting flames. If they do in fact have that upgrade, than say goodbye to the firebat and say hello to the NBA happy jumper reapers(i like them btw)

2. generalrievous

generalrievous New Member

3. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

Are you reffering to the first battle vs the Soul Hunters?

I do not think that was flame throwers. I think its the animation when the reapers get killed, their gas tanks explode and they fly in different directions, i didnt see one clear flame line there, i did notice they were all shooting their pistols though...

4. marinepower

marinepower New Member

Fairfax
    I doubt that the reaper will be able to shoot flames, especially since bliz wrote in the reapers desrciption that they are armed with 2 pistols. Also, the game might become imbalanced if firebats are taken out because terrans will now have a much harder time dealing with ling rushes, even if they build bunkers. I also count on them not being able to stim, so thats another reason why bats might stay in SC2.

5. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

Agreed, i still want bats

6. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    Reapers shoot flame. You can tell from the very first one that attacks, before any reapers or marines die.

Reapers doubling up on the role of firebats can only be beneficial to Terran.

7. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

I really dont think they shoot flames, i still think its their jet pack exploding, i saw them shooting their pistols, not flames.

8. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    There really is no mistaking it. If it was hard to see I wouldn't really say that they do. But the first reaper that attacks, you can clearly see that it shoots firebat styled flames to its front.

You can also clearly tell that it is not the jetpack because you can see the jetpack flames on its back at the same time the flames shoot out from its front.

I don't know if there are more than one resolution of the video out there, but unless it's on youtube or something, you really can't miss it.

9. UchihaItachi0129

UchihaItachi0129 New Member

man does this mean firebats are getting the axe too? T_T blizzard what are you doing to me T_T

10. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    If you analyize things after looking at the big picture, it's actually a good thing for Terran players.

If people are upset because they liked the firebats personality and attitude, well, that really can't be helped. We shall have a moment of silence. Things sure were toasty with bats around, melting piles and piles of lings into puddles of goo. At least you'll still get to do that, but just with reapers.

11. Ych

Ych New Member

I sure won't be missing those Firebats if they are going to be replaced by Reapers.
    Reapers are in every way, cooler than those Firebats. I mean, seriously, it doesn't get any cooler than infantry with jumppacks. Plus, Firebats in the original SC were way to overspecialized. If the Reapers have this alternative weapon that could shoot flamethrowers, it's going to be very useful.

12. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

Ok, i watched it on youtube, in the enlarged version, and i did see it, the grass around the soul hunters also got lit up on fire, so yeah, they are in fact shooting flames...

Bye bye firebats, and hello reapers. Do you think they'll have 2 modes ? One for pistols one for flames or how do you think thats going to work?

13. marinepower

marinepower New Member

Fairfax
    No, i disagree that they shoot flames. Blizzard specifically said that they are only equipped with pistols, and all those random flames going around was their death animation, with their jetpack randomly exploding and flying in a random direction. You can also see this in the other video where the reapers assault a protoss base and that phase prism comes up. None of them were shooting anything except for their dual pistols.

Long live the firebat! :thumbup:

14. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

Not true marinepower.

I did see the flames, shooting forward, and i did see the grass lit up on fire. They do shoot flames.

15. Ych

Ych New Member

Marinepower, did you get a chance to see the Reapers in action for the PC gamer Magazine video? If you haven't, you should go take a look. Those Reapers were clearly shooting flamethrowers. If that is the case, we can assume as of now, Reapers have a dual attack mode. They can toggle between dual pistols and flamethrowers. How cool is that?

Bye Bye Firebats. I know I won't be missing you.

16. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    When did Blizzard say that reapers were ONLY equipped with pistols? Don't selectively quote while adding your own, it defeats the purpose of citing a source.

There really is no grounds for debate on this one I'm afraid. Everyone who still has a shred of doubt, do yourselves a favor and get your hands on a hi-res copy of the leaked vid. There is always the "not final until release" factor, but at this point with evidence this clear, saying otherwise is really just spreading faulty information.

But another thing, about the repears switching weapons back and forth, I'm not sure if we can make that assumption just yet. In the leaked vid, I don't think any reapers used pistols, they all used flamethrowers as far as I can tell. Thus, there is still the chance that it's either a permanent researched upgrade that universally converts all your reapers to shoot flames, or an upgrade that permanently converts reapers on an individual basis.

A weapon mode switch was what I initially thought as well, but I just wanted to point out that this is still not 100% due to the other possibilities are out there.

17. LJYLJ

LJYLJ New Member

after downloading and watching the HD def of the video i would say (quite sure) that ur so called reaper flame is either the jump pack flames activating or just a bug from their afterburners as the reaper turn around before shooting..

they would have showd us the reaper flamethrower or atleast told us about in the gameplay demo if it did excist

18. GuiMontag

GuiMontag New Member

its most likely a universal upgrade like the uranium shells for marines

19. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    So every single reaper in that vid constantly bugged out, interesting theory but I can't really agree.  The first reaper turned around like you said, but it actually turns back around to face the soul hunters before shooting flames.  The whole time you can clearly see the jetpack flames, they don't even look the same.  If it's too fast, which it really isn't, use a player that can play it at slower speeds.

The "leaked vid" itself wasn't officially released by Blizzard on the SC2 offical site, why would they explain anything in there?  And the fact that the gameplay demo was a demonstration of work-in-progress guarantees that there will be things that come after not covered in it.

I am quite puzzled on how anyone thinks it looks like anything else when it's the exact same animation as firebat's flamethrower attack.  I'm usually too lazy for this kind of stuff, but here it is...  If anyone can do it with better quality then please do the honors, as I'm not too good at this kinda stuff. Animated GIF would be nice.

20. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

heh, on that pick it actually looks like flames from the guns, from bullets being shot than an actual flamethrower.

If you put an image thats bigger, you can see flames on the grass around the soul hunter