The fate of the Defiler?

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Ling Rusher, Jul 21, 2007.

The fate of the Defiler?

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Ling Rusher, Jul 21, 2007.

1. Ling Rusher

Ling Rusher Guest

Okay I have seen threads for the fate of almost all the Zerg units, but I haven't seen one for the Defiler. The Defiler has been one of the Zerg's best helpers in combat. His abilities to kept the ground troops safe from air, the ability to kill other biological units with plaque, and the ability to eat his fellow units to convert them into energy. The defiler was definitely a good unit against the protoss and the terrans, and they still would be (of course with a few changes).

What do you think should be the fate of the defiler?

2. cereal

cereal New Member

I think it should definitely come back, it was really really useful sometimes.

3. I)4rk

I)4rk New Member

Definately, the defiler was very useful vs Terran but maybe not as useful vs Protoss. Because if protoss went zealots and archons, it really would not matter much. And often at times, Toss goes DA a little which can easily feedback the defiler. Plus if he keeps eating lings, he'll really die compare to feedback.

4. kehmdaddy

kehmdaddy New Member

I would be surprised to see it go away. Its unit portrait was one of my favorites in the first game and I think they'll look incredible with a SC2 3D make-over. I actually think it will become even more useful in SC2; I would love it if they gave it some sort of attack. Its portrait just made it look so lethal. If the Ghost has 5 abilities like it apparently does right now, I could completely see the Defiler having a good 4 or 5 as well.

5. Itsmyship

Itsmyship New Member

Where only cool people live... So Cal!
    Let me just say...copyright infrignement of "Fate of the Ultralisk"!!! :p

Next off, there's been some sources that mention the Succubus as being the new zerg caster. Of course this isn't certain, but its been seen in like 2 or 3 different places.

6. Star-Crap

Star-Crap Guest

imma call him my "thor killa"

plague ftw

7. Darkreaver

Darkreaver New Member

The only units ive seen coming back from starcraft bw are the ones which are either really popular or really essential (or both in some cases) ... aka high templar, zergling, marine, etc

IN the case of the defiler, it should definately be making a return because of the number of abilities it is able to produce, plus the popularity of this unit is immense ; everyone who plays zerg (and climbs the tech tree to use this thing) uses it, including the korean pro gamers.

8. Star-Crap

Star-Crap Guest

even if they dont bring him back they might put his casts on other new zerg units

9. PhantomFF

PhantomFF New Member

MD
    Yes I was hearing about the succubus replacing the defiler as well.

She's suppoesed to be really cool tho...so I dont know how tradeoffs would work

10. Dxun

Dxun New Member

The units you name here are not from the Broodwar expansion.

And the only BW units that we know about are Dark templar.

11. Ling Rusher

Ling Rusher Guest

So maybe the Succubus would be cool, but if that site was right all it would have was the ability to infest things... If anything that would be replacing the queen not the defiler. I mean the queen had just ensnare, parasite, and infect terran command center. In fact it would be real easy to give the defiler the ensare ability, and give the succubus the parasite. Anyhow, the defiler probably will not be dropped.

12. Dreadnought

Dreadnought New Member

Defiler was a huge part of battles and its theme is "kinda" cool. but honestly I think blizzard will think of something better. The queen had a better theme to it imo but its battle role wasnt as important. I think they will keep the queen and overhaul it.

13. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

"Better"? Seriously, Plague is the number one most devastating ability in the whole game. It's damage dealing is unmatched. And while it's not to good against the Protoss, it will own any army not being micro-managed well enough.

14. PhantomFF

PhantomFF New Member

MD
    I always hated plague no matter what race I was >.>

but I'm pretty sure Zerg will get plenty to make up for it :)

15. TidalSpiral

TidalSpiral New Member

The Defiler was one of my favorite theme units. The cloud of insects to protect ground units is awesome, I think that they will keep this ability above any others. Imagine all the intense firepower that the Terrans now have - without the Defiler cloud, most units would have no way of penetrating all the projectile attacks unless they were dropped on top of the enemy. Hopefully it would be improved though, with how toxic they are supposed to be they should be able to regularly throw blobs of acid or spray diseases at people.

16. CodyFallsForth

CodyFallsForth New Member

Plague...

17. TidalSpiral

TidalSpiral New Member

Well I obviously mean consistently, like a regular attack that utilizes the toxins or parasites. Maybe they could send the cloud of bugs out to hurt someone then they return to the body?

18. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Like the Crypt Lord in War III?

Lol ;D

19. mc2

mc2 New Member

Actually, I found the plague quite useful against Protoss. Most Protoss units have a base armor, the zealot had 1, the carrier had 4!! While all of their shields does not have a base number, all shield starts with 0. The plague rips through their tough armor, allowing the hydralisks and zerglings to attack their more vulnerable shields. And the fact that their HP does not regenerate nor repairable, the plague is rather powerful when using against the protoss.

20. SirBaron

SirBaron New Member

Of all units i use the most when playing Zerg (which is all the time...), Defiler comes 2nd after Hydras. The use of that unit is like, unbelievable... plague, which softens up Protoss, Dark Swarm, which immunilizes Hydras vs Rangedmg and consume, which just kicks ass. The Defiler HAS to return, or i am going to cry blood or something.