The Corrupters.

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by ced, Mar 10, 2008.

The Corrupters.

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by ced, Mar 10, 2008.

1. ced

ced New Member

Canada
    Saw the high rez pic of the new Corrupter unit... and all i can think is "What the hell?".

They are all business in the front.. and Japanese school girl party in the back. :good:
    So what the hell is going on the the big Barney balloon in the middle!?! :no:

The 3 Part Beast!
    • Triple fangs up front let the others know you mean business. The colouration matches the other ground units (Which for the most part look pretty damn nice.).
    • Big, round purple pink thing in the middle !?!
    • Crazy black tentacles obviously flaying wildly in the back. They look cool, but the colouration makes them look tacked on, and after thought.

It's Attack
    • "The corrupter attacks air units. Instead of destroying them, it "corrupts" them. It can cause a large group of units to fight each other, quickly turning the tide of the battle."

Time to Speculate!
    • Does it have to kill the unit before it corrupts it? (or is it just lost in translation.) Can it make perfectly healthy units turn on each other?
    • Can it corrupt AtG units like the Banshee? or Mechanical units like Observers and Phase Prisms?
    • Why the ugly pink balloons of death?

What do you guys think?

[img width=500 height=312]http://www.starcraft2forum.org/ice_media/screenshots/1.jpg[/img]

EDIT :: Linked to the screen shot from this site's gallery. Loads faster now.

2. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    Banshees and any other air unit can be corrupted. What I want to know is if these converted units are controllable and how long the corruption would last.

3. ced

ced New Member

Canada
    Do you know if air units get corrupted only at death or after being attacked (a few times)?

4. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    No. They were rather vague on that point. I'd assume it was death, or it'll be too easy to corrupt them.

5. ShdwyTemplar

ShdwyTemplar New Member

Tacoma, Washington
    Well this isn't much of a surprise considering the Zerg would need to have a super charged air unit to deal with the others. Doing it this way allows the Zerg to be powerful in other ways without focusing on air units as much. Definitly will have some possibilities. (Corrupted MS?)

6. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    I do like the model of it. I assume that the pink is just the team colour, but it still does suit. It just looks like an enigmatic and indiscreet organ. Overall, but depending on how it looks in motion as opposed to just in the still screenshot, I like the look of them.
    I don't like that attack at all. It seems really odd. I guess that it could work, but I'm really uncomfortable about the thought of it. I guess it depends on the specifications of the corruption.
    So far, good visuals, bad mechanics.

7. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
  8. -LT-

-LT- New Member

I'm wondering the same thing. They look ugly.

9. needler

needler New Member

When I first saw them they reminded me of the alpha version of the first StarCraft. Then I thought "This is not WarCraft in space!" :D. Then I thought that these really look like the nightmare invaders should.

E: Well basically I thought all the time that they look like the alpha version Zerg in Starcraft.

10. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    They just look like an nondescript organ. Plenty of the Zerg units have them. Also, I'm pretty sure that the colour is just the team colour. If the team was green, it'd be green. If they were red, it'd be red.

11. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Exactly how I feel about this unit. They should just give it an attack but when it dies, it releases small swarms of little air attackers. This would give nice reason for the tumor on its back.
    The corruption mechanic just doesn't make sense in my opinion.

12. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    I do like that idea of releasing little air attackers. Pure speculation, but maybe it could add temporary damage over time 'spores' with each of its attack, basically resembling that the projectiles is attacking the unit from the inside, and when it dies, all those spores/projectiles could leap to the closest unit in range, kinda like a death-activated, one-bounce Glaive Wurm.
    When I first heard of this mechanic, I was really against it. Seeing it in action didn't make it worse, but it didn't make it better. The Corrupted units just seemed to sit there. In my opinion, it's an iffy mechanic to be playing around with.

13. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    This is the Zerg unit that looks the best, I have to say. With the ultra following close behind of course. As for the Corruptor, I don't like the name (that includes the infestor as well) because it sounds too much like a name given by humans. *lisks are good names, and stuff that's not so obvious and thus a little vague. The word Corruptor just marks its role and nothing else. I find the name to be a little dull.

As for the appearance, I got goosebumps watching them in the video :D They remind me of the robots in Matrix with them legs being pulled after them... they look very very intimidating and I like that. I'm fine with their colours as well because they sort of imply their venomous being much like how nature works here on Earth.

The way I see it, corruption only takes place when the target should die (i.e., receive more damage than its remaining hitpoints). For example if the Corruptor deals 20 damage and the BC has 15 then the BC will get infested on the next hit and will engage the enemy with 15 hitpoints, but slowly regenerating to a percentage of the original amount of hitpoints. I would estimate a 20-50% here.

However, I'm a little concerned with all the infesting going on around here right now. I think it'll be impossible to balance this ability because infested units will either be a requirement (if the number of 'original' Zerg units is below that of the Terran and Protoss 15ish) which would make Zerg useless without the opportunity to infest (i.e., against Protoss*) or make it just candy and style much like how it was in SC1, in which case it's a waste of models, development time and space on the hard drive.

*If Protoss can fall prey to infestation then the Zerg tech tree will either be ~double the size (considering not everything can be infested) compared to the ones the other two races have or the 'original' tech tree without infestation will be very slim.

Right now I'm against all means of infesting even though it fits the Zerg.

14. AcE_01

AcE_01 Active Member

Australia
    what i think...about the corupt ability is that once the air unit gets corrupted...it takes about 5 seconds to activate to become yours...maybe tahts y we never saw the "corrupt" unit attacking; the BC got killed off the vikings got killed off and the rest got corrupted with no enemies to attack.

i also think that those big headed organ brain like tumour like thing on the corruptors has helium gas (or wateva gas) to keep them afloat (lorewise) and possibly some telekenises abilities just like how the overlord stay aflot.

about the infestation in general..i really do like the idea...but i just hope it will be balanced. and yes what kuvask said...would the infest units be counted in the amount of units of the zerg?

but anywayz, for some reason...i really like these units..they look so...so zergish!! they has to be a part of the zerg! lol

15. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Zerg have 15 units in total, including everything.

As for infested Protoss, allow them to finest a Gateway and remove the Baneling. Baneling is too OP as it wiped out everything in the videos. Plus its whole concept is incorrect, how could half a strain of DNA produce a unit which can kill much larger ones and entire bases with ease.

16. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    Well now I wouldn't say they cut through troops with ease, you still need plenty of them to win.
    And I don't understand what you mean with the half DNA thing. It's filled with acid but has no claws or anything, just enough to move, its DNA doesn't need to be complicated.

17. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Relative to cost.

18. Ayzee

Ayzee New Member

Sweden
    Viruses have the most simple form of DNA. So simple in fact, that it's not even called DNA - it's called RNA.

Viruses are the most feared killers on Earth.

Nuff said.

Gameplay wise.. they're probably very easy to kill. The thors get them in one shot.

19. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Banelings are multi-cellulur(sp?) organisms. Viruses are different.

20. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    *multi-cellular.
    I don't see why they're so overpowered relative to cost, we don't even know any of the finalised costs yet. Also, in all the videos, etc, they're in huge numbers, so even just a medium cost, on top of the Zerglings', just for a one time attack wouldn't be overpowered.